Mopeds Pedal Types (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Can you still buy the old type moped's that have the same pedals as a bike, I saw a couple of them in Bruges yesterday but they were old ones, and I have been wondering if they are still made only they seem a lot better alternative than an electric bike, and I would think they would meet the legal position regarding powered bikes.

Any information would be welcome, I have tried google but it just keeps comeing up with the scooter type which are not really what I was looking for.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Honda have a new prototype moped, no idea when it's due in the UK

nc-1.jpg

Honda Worldwide | Tokyo 2001

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Hi,

Can you still buy the old type moped's that have the same pedals as a bike, I saw a couple of them in Bruges yesterday but they were old ones, and I have been wondering if they are still made only they seem a lot better alternative than an electric bike, and I would think they would meet the legal position regarding powered bikes.

Any information would be welcome, I have tried google but it just keeps comeing up with the scooter type which are not really what I was looking for.

I think what your after is the Honda C50 , often called a Honda plastic.

Regards, john

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,

Hi, We have the Dutch Spartamet which is a very comfortoble bike with a 30cc motor in the back wheel. You can ride it the same as a bike and when you get tired, start the motor and ride home. Try Googling Spartamet. Best of luck, Dave.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
i think if thats only 30 cc you dont need licence etc as 39 cc is the limit ???

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the honda c50 is the stepthrough cub also c70-c90, what you were thinking of is the camino. you can get a lifan very similar .but the wont fit the rules you want i think . although the velosolex is ridden by 14yr olds in france i believe. need to be 16 in this country. the winged wheel you write about was a very old design havnt seen them for years , a friend did have one as i remember. the velo solex is probably the one for you they are available in france .nearly bought one a few years ago . they changed the frame design in about 72. just drop the motor on to the front tyre when you need power.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Was the winged wheel the old cyclemaster that we used to call stinkwheel ?

Edgie

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hi Braunston, I see you are in Belgium, Brugge is gorgeous,

Beer!
make sure you visit De Halve Maan brewery and sample Staffe Hendrik and Brugse Zot Welcome*De Halve Maan :thumb:

oh and chocolates the best are Leonidas Link Removed :thumb:

Also half an hour away is Ypres, the last post ceremony at the Menin gate at 8pm every night is awesome.. as is Hill 60 and Hill 62, and Tyne Cott Cemetery... Link Removed

Belgium is a great place...

BTW Oostende is good too and there is an aire of sorts at the old fish market near the fort napoleon. http://www.fortnapoleon.be/language.asp

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes thats the other name i couldnt remember .cycle master .my grandad had one for years. i kept thinking of ambassador but they made bigger bikes.the answer is dont sell anything keep it in a shed ,could be worth a fortune. or you have a shed +shed +shed full of bits like me. ha ha.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Was the winged wheel the old cyclemaster that we used to call stinkwheel ?
No, the stinkwheel was the Solex. I had two of them until quite recently.One was a 3300 and the other a quite rare 2200. They are more sueted to the enthusiast now as can be tempremental.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
you could get yourself a nice old F1se from yamaha. Ah the childhood memories of gangs of youths riding around on fisies and ap50s, :Sad:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dont know about the licence part in UK becouse we have only used them in Europe.Have never wore a crash hat with them and Its about 55 euros a year insurance, which is compulsary. Did think about sellig them,but havent a clue what to ask.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

anything used as a road vehicle and has an infernal combustion engine has to be registered in the uk.....including motorized skateboards etc.

now you try getting insurance for that:Doh:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
have to agree pappa as i looked and cant find anything to the con but also cant find a cc limit for any motor vehicle a minefield same as driveing an rv regarding weights and licence ,but would say the moped the folks are useing aborad are supposed to compy to country of orign rules ie tax ,ins mot ,etc etc . so just be carefull as you say no crash helmets on ??? :Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hate to go off thread but dvla are quite easy to understand you need class C at least to drive over 7.500 kg (8.250towing)with a m,home. see d100 leaflet from dvla section 10 motor homes.CI AS A WEIGHT RESTRICTION.
i like the idea of D1 as there is no restriction 107 on d1.
cheers alan.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Regarding no crash hats. We have a very enviable cycle network here in Holland.In fact its so damn good that bikes,mopeds,and scooters are not even allowed on the same road as cars,etc.:thumb:

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Braunston

Deep in my garage is my son's Peugeot Vogue 50cc moped. I believe that it is the sort that you are seeking.

It is the single cylinder, single gear, two-stroke powered/pedal moped which you start using the pedals, and was sold in it's thousands all over Europe. If you haven't been knocked over, or overtaken by a spotty youth (sans helmet ) on a Peugeot Vogue flat out at 50kmph' then you have never visited Europe!

The Peugeot Vogue is a nifty moped and my son's is the dogs wotsits. The controls consist of a throttle, two brake levers, a speedo and 50cc's of throbbing power complemented by direction indicators, chrome mirrors and alloy wheels! A white metal frame, single black leatherette saddle, white 5-spoke alloy wheels and Ivory plastic mouldings identify this moped as a velocopede of distinction and street cred.

If you are interested and would like any further details then PM me.

Pat

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
something like this perhaps

Link Removed

current in US but googled and cant find it here.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
Regarding no crash hats. We have a very enviable cycle network here in Holland.In fact its so damn good that bikes,mopeds,and scooters are not even allowed on the same road as cars,etc.:thumb:

ye but concret and tarmac is hard stuff to head butt :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: or maybe you have soft concrete in holland

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have you thought about an electric bike we have them and I use mine all the time...

where about in Brugge did you stay?

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Yes I have looked at electric but don't fancy the idea of keep charging them I know what I'm like with my phone I often forget to put that on charge and thats far more important to me than a bike.

Thats why I have been looking at the old type Mopeds they look just right, I just wish they would introduce a new range into the UK that was street legal.

We always stay at Camping Memlin, the price nearly always matches the Aire and you get far more for you money.

Diesel 88.9 at the self service garage near Memlin on Monday

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and replies.

Have you thought about an electric bike we have them and I use mine all the time...

where about in Brugge did you stay?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi braunston, there is a cheap chinese stepthruogh a bit like the tomas ,i,v seen them on ebay. cant find one now .it was very like the honda camino. bit heavy for using as a push bike i would have thought. my lads both had camino,s one did 30.000 ml before playing up . he used to ride it to plymouth jump on the ferry and travel around brittany .no charge then for cycles n mopeds. you,ll have to keep your eyes open for them . cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back