Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Hi..when i bought my Hymer 544 classic it was advertised as having 33000 miles on the clock which actually equated to 50 odd thousand kilometres( which was showing)I believed the mileage and checked the distance to the first few places we took the van to check..yes it definitely was kms.When I had the vehicle mot'd I pointed this out to the mechanic but he still put down the " mileage" as miles,not kms..any ideas what I can do about this to prove the clock is in kms.

OP
OP
Ricardoe

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Sorry perhaps i wasn't clear..the speedo is in mph( with kms inside).so it would appear that the clock is in miles..which it isnt

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When it comes to selling a sensible buyer would see that it was in km not miles, but the past records would show miles of course. I think they usually manage to record ours as km.

Martin

OK Edit, worth trying to get the MOT in km if not this time certainly next, the speedo is obviously just an overlay.

OP
OP
Ricardoe

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Hi Martin..but how would the new buyer know the clock was in kms,especially if the mot certs have miles on them.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin..but how would the new buyer know the clock was in kms,especially if the mot certs have miles on them.
Yes I think I have Edited since you posted. the odometer might have been marked in km originally, does the overlay cover completely.

End of the day if you are selling just advertise with the correct miles/km and explain to any prospective purchasers the anomaly, if they don't believe you just take them a run out around a 10 mile sat nav route.

Martin

OP
OP
Ricardoe

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Its just a standard clock just like british cars with mph on the outside ,kmsph on the inside..before we bought this on we looked at a similar one which had over 100000 on the clock when i pointed out the mileage the saleman said it was in kms,,so "not to worry".. I didnt get round to asking him how he could guarantee this,and this is the problem I will have.

OP
OP
Ricardoe

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
(y)Yeh thanks for that guys..sorry I was under the impression there was a technical answer to this...all I've got to worry about now is getting my solar panel fitted,I've had a "motorhome engineer"promising to do it for 3 months and now I've told him to go shag himself.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds as though a previous owner has fitted a speedo overlay/replacement dial. I have done this myself with a Lockwoods overlay and it is indistinguishable from the original KM speedo that was on when I bought the van. The odo still reads km though. I have had one or two occasions when the MOT tester has put down miles, but normally they put km. I have a small printed notice saying "MOT Tester please note, odo reads KM NOT Miles". I stick this on the steering wheel boss when the van goes in for test.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My old Toyota had the same. As it was 17 years old and had done over 200,000 km I didn't worry about it. With a younger vehicle I would do as @JeanLuc suggests.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Have to change it to miles now, after Brexit.......
Cheers, Dave(y)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I had a similar problem with RH when we imported her. Got an overlay from Lockwood to convert the speedo but didn't notice till after fitting that although the speedo was in dual the odometer was marked miles. Lockwood were good, didn't know how they'd managed to produce a batch of overlays with miles instead of km and sent me a replacement. The outfit doing the MOT agreed the problem and recorded the mileage as km, so I'd suggest you correct the overlay and at next MOT make sure they log the odo as km

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The speedo on my American RV was in miles only, yanks don't understand Km or the metric system so why include it on the clock face.

Unfortunately the mot tester assumed it MUST be Km as it was left hand drive....but he also put it as a diesel engine instead of petrol.
Beats me how he did an emissions test as a diesel when I was sat in the driver's seat twiddling knobs and pushing pedals.

OP
OP
Ricardoe

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Yeh..well when i picked up my hymer,the first thing i had to do was put some fuel in(annoying or what?)..so i dropped the fuel cap and as i looked under the van for it,noticed that all but ONE of the exhaust rubbers were missing and the whole system was hanging off!!..this vehicle had been mot'd 2weeks before. :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back