How I hate long distance travel (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How I hate long distance travel...In a car

Left home at 7am for an appointment 288 miles away! Just got home after that 576 mile round trip. Done on a mixture of roads in my sons car, a fast, bone shaking Honda Civic Type R.

My left leg is dead, my head hurts, I've paid out well over £20 in coffee and food and feel jet lagged with a sort of sea-sick feeling.

But In the Motorhome, 576 miles is nothing, big comfy seats, decent suspension, coffee on tap, sandwiches when you want them, cold drinks in the fridge, pull over whenever you like for a half an hour nap on a full size double bed. After 578 miles I'm ready for a party. Right now I just need a chiropractor and a lie down a darkened room. Good night :)

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
My daily drive covers on average 300 miles, today will be 400 but I do have a very comfortable car which is definitely the answer. I remember hiring a car to pick up our latest motorhome from Stockport and Jane saying the Yugo was the cheapest option, when I came out with a Golf I told Jane the Yugo had gone :sneaky: Have to comfortable but nothing beats the motorhome (y)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have to drive 12 mile round trip every two or three day`s to the builders merchants..

Try doing that in A Suzuki Vitarra....

"Honda Civic".......... Pure luxury....

Man up for gords sake...

:wink::giggler:

Duztee

Free Member
Jun 28, 2016
Nagykoros, Hungary
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have to agree with Jim (OP).
As an ex long distance truckie I regularly drove 9 or 10 hours without a second thought, sitting properly in a comfortable seat.
But anything over 30 miles in a car was a bloody pressure raising experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Now Jim you could have saved £20 by doing what old people do and taking a flask of coffee and some sandwiches with you.

Sadly it's what I do now:)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Get a proper motorhome buttons, a van with some foam in the back is stretching the term 'home' somewhat :)
600 miles in a day, I suspect that you wouldn't have much time for a kip on route. Average 50mph tops = 12 hours even without any fuel or comfort stops.
Anything over 500 miles in a day get a train or a flight;)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Its one of the numerous reasons we are changing to a PVC, we can use it for some of the trips we use the car.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
How I hate long distance travel...In a car

Left home at 7am for an appointment 288 miles away! Just got home after that 576 mile round trip. Done on a mixture of roads in my sons car, a fast, bone shaking Honda Civic Type R.

My left leg is dead, my head hurts, I've paid out well over £20 in coffee and food and feel jet lagged with a sort of sea-sick feeling.

But In the Motorhome, 576 miles is nothing, big comfy seats, decent suspension, coffee on tap, sandwiches when you want them, cold drinks in the fridge, pull over whenever you like for a half an hour nap on a full size double bed. After 578 miles I'm ready for a party. Right now I just need a chiropractor and a lie down a darkened room. Good night :)

What do you mean? Haven't you got "your people" to do that for you? How.."cheap" :whistle::whistle::p:p:p:LOL:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

But In the Motorhome, 576 miles is nothing, Good night :)

So next time take the MH.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The van would just bankrupt you instead with a fuel consumption like yours has. The Tyre R does not have suspension it has bits of rock placed between the wheels and body work, a bit like offshore power boat racing Soft and compliant is far nicer and you do not get kidney bleeding . Maybe I am just too old now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I find long journies in cars knackering take a couple of days to recover afterwards but in the Motorhome no problem. I think it must be a mental state, always on edge in the car trying to get there as quick as possible where in the van just relax and go with the flow.
As for airports & flying yuck, been told I have to go to Thailand Dec & Jan to visit daughter, not happy.(n)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
image.jpg
Or a proper mini you could still be trying to unfold!!
Been there got the tee shirt!

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Up until April just gone I was doing a regular run every two weeks in a Mercedes Sprinter van from where I live to Brussels. 9.45 hours each way. I would manage to get an hours rest then turn round and head back. 963 miles round trip. I found the Sprinter quiet comfortable. I would prefer to do it in the Sprinter rather than a car I think.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Whimp!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
or an old military specced land rover. a harsh enough ride to remove any fillings from your teeth
Once drove an old swb landy with no heater, in a convoy, from Scarborough to Bassingstoke....in january.
13 hours...including an enforced (police) 5 hour stop at services while a diesel browser lights were fixed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back