Am I even in the right place for demountables? (1 Viewer)

John Oxlade

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
Hamilton, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
gathering info for projec
Exp
Hi, newbie here....
My wife has been talking for ages about a caravan or mobile home and I'm not too keen on buying a van that we'd need to maintain and perhaps not use a huge amount - we're both self-employed and working 7.5 day weeks and 27 hour days.
So I'm watching George Clarke's Amazing Spaces - as you do - and I wondered to myself, "There's my heavy-duty trailer sitting outside not doing much, I wonder if I could build a demountable caravan/shed on it?"
Well, obviously I CAN build one, but then the logistics kicked in. I reckon it'd be easy enough, a few challenges to overcome but nothing major.
So out came Google, but I didn't really find any sites for self-build demountables. But I ended up here and you seem like a "matey" kind-a group, so I thought I'd join and just ask.
Obviously I can poach ideas from you van-builders as the interior, windows, etc. will all be pretty much universal, just that mine is not going to be on a self-propelled chassis.
So what do you think, am I mad??

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello :pink: to Fun, I'm sure there will be some interesting suggestions for you, sounds like an interesting project

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A friend of mine in the USA is building one. Not much use to you I know :(

OP
OP
J

John Oxlade

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
Hamilton, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
gathering info for projec
Exp
Hello :pink: to Fun, I'm sure there will be some interesting suggestions for you, sounds like an interesting project
Thanks Carol. Yes, I am looking forward to it. Might even sneak of to the salvage yard later and see what they've got lying around. It's the sort of place to check out weekly and hope the good stuff doesn't slip past when I am not looking.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
http://sbmcc.co.uk/ everything you ever wondered about building your motorhome and then everything you actually need to know

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, I had book-marked that one already.
Or you could visit our sister site.

I am a self builder also. But I converted a panel van.

On our sister site there is a guy that build trailers, everything from normal trailers to fifth wheels.

http://www.diymotorhome.co.uk

@vwalan I think built his own as well on here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i didnt actually build mine only converted it . i have built other trailers not fifth wheelers and have had a couple of dismountable campers but making a suitable container and fitting jaks isnt that hard . i do very often think about making a demount to fit my unit . using the fifth wheel and a couple of fixings . i have seen several in spain the fairgrounds there use them alot . but build the container . ideally have some strong channel front and rear then a high lift jack would be used to lift and drop some sliding legs .

Attachments

• img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 22
  • img019.jpg
    img019.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 19

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If your trailer is a suitable size with a decent weight capacity you could buy a used caravan, remove all the running gear and the A frame and adapt it to fit on the trailer.
Quite a few Brits have done this on flatbed trucks.

9483d71dfef9cc23d3ab49c109283c37.jpg

certainly looks like a home conversion/bodge but who cares..

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Hi, newbie here....
My wife has been talking for ages about a caravan or mobile home and I'm not too keen on buying a van that we'd need to maintain and perhaps not use a huge amount - we're both self-employed and working 7.5 day weeks and 27 hour days.
So I'm watching George Clarke's Amazing Spaces - as you do - and I wondered to myself, "There's my heavy-duty trailer sitting outside not doing much, I wonder if I could build a demountable caravan/shed on it?"
Well, obviously I CAN build one, but then the logistics kicked in. I reckon it'd be easy enough, a few challenges to overcome but nothing major.
So out came Google, but I didn't really find any sites for self-build demountables. But I ended up here and you seem like a "matey" kind-a group, so I thought I'd join and just ask.
Obviously I can poach ideas from you van-builders as the interior, windows, etc. will all be pretty much universal, just that mine is not going to be on a self-propelled chassis.
So what do you think, am I mad??
the program you need to watch is the american tiny houses one . mind it does come to uk some times .
it does get carried away sometimes but very often they do build trailer homes /sheds on wheels .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back