FON network - to access, do you need to have your home router operating? (1 Viewer)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Well, I guess the nub is in the title. I'm in the FON scheme where I allocate 10% of my home router's capacity to the FON network in exchange for access anywhere else in Europe where I can detect a FON router.

It's never seemed to work for me in France or Spain but is that because when I'm travelleing my home router is switched off and the FON scheme can detect this?

Norman

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think I read somewhere if you have BT WITH Fon it isn't detected if it's offline but if you have a Fon router it must be plugged in to access the network.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think I read somewhere if you have BT WITH Fon it isn't detected if it's offline but if you have a Fon router it must be plugged in to access the network.
I think this could be right, ours wasn't working one time and a switch off and reboot sorted it, I can get it to work in France sometimes but there are not that many SFR Fon spots.

Martin

Should have added ours is switched on while we are away.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Mines on , but never got any sense out of fon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
same here, works well in some places around UK, but never yet got it abroad. but a 3 mifi now is so cheap we wouldn't bother looking (y)

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
I think this could be right, ours wasn't working one time and a switch off and reboot sorted it, I can get it to work in France sometimes but there are not that many SFR Fon spots.

Martin

Should have added ours is switched on while we are away.

There are over 4 million SFR Fon spots in France, so quite a respectable number. However, it is worth noting that there is a tendency for people in small hamlets or isolated country dwellings to remain with the legacy provider, Orange (formerly France Telecom), either due to inertia or perhaps because other providers are not interested in serving remote country exchanges. I am normally able to find an SFR Fon connection in large villages, small towns and larger urban areas. I find that the ideal location is a central square or other parking area with residential premises around it. Having said all that, I was surprised and delighted on my latest trip to find SFR Fon at a couple of remote France Passion sites.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
The price of a 3 data sim, its convenience and coverage are tending to make clunky Fon connections less attractive. My Fon router is off and I never use abroad only using if really stuck in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back