Ideas on How to store portable Generator and protect from weather (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have just brought a generator (cheap one from Aldi) for emergencies only as i have solar and as yet have not run out of power but you never know. Now what i need is some sort of box or bag that the generator can go in when not in use that is airtight as it will need to go in my MH garage. This may sound simple but after quite a lot searching it is more difficult than you would of thought. Some places do sell airtight boxes but they are very expensive at over ÂŁ100. The generator Dimensions i believe are 500mm x 285mm x 440mm

I know there are some concerns around storing these things and ideally i would like it on the outside of the MH but i dont have anywhere for it to go. Also i am assuming i need some sort of umbrella of sorts if using it in the rain.

Having never used one before this is all new, any thoughts and suggestion please?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Might be worth doing a google search for a large dry sack for storage.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Might be worth doing a google search for a large dry sack for storage.
I have done some searching but they all seem to be very expensive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
A cheaper alternative is an extra large vacuum storage bag but they might not be sufficiently robust.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I have a Honda genny stored in my home garage.As it has not been used for two years I took it out of the MH. It's wrapped in kitchen type cling film, I it keeps it clean and sealed, stops any smells and should I never use it I will simply cut it out and start....Works for me.

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
What about some sort of BBQ cover, they're waterproof and come in different sizes.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Leave it in the shed at home :sneaky: (Sorry I'm not a fan of gennies)
Next to leave it in the garage at home I think that's the best suggestion. Anti generator bias apart it seems a big lump to carry around on the basis that you most likely will never need it, so by the time you do the fuel will most likely have gone off so it won't start, and apart from all that for emergencies your van should have an engine and alternator/generator all built it that most likely ran just a few days ago so should be primed and ready for action, plus side is you can easily use it while travelling.

Martin

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Next to leave it in the garage at home I think that's the best suggestion. Anti generator bias apart it seems a big lump to carry around on the basis that you most likely will never need it, so by the time you do the fuel will most likely have gone off so it won't start, and apart from all that for emergencies your van should have an engine and alternator/generator all built it that most likely ran just a few days ago so should be primed and ready for action, plus side is you can easily use it while travelling.

Martin
Thanks but i am not after advice on how to use it or not use it, just on how to store it.Can we please keep this on track as it saves wasting time.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks but i am not after advice on how to use it or not use it, just on how to store it.Can we please keep this on track as it saves wasting time.
OK apologies, but I was trying to be slightly constructive, anyway if it comes in a decent fitting cardboard box why not just seal it in a black bin bag so you don't smell petrol and then put it back in the box or even cut the box down if it's a bit big from packaging etc.

As far as outside use if you are really only going to use it in a dire emergency I would just shroud it with whatever you have at the time and the Mrs's brolly to keep the rain off, doesn't seem much point in carrying even more clutter that you don't envisage using.

Do run it from time to time at home though to keep the fuel fresh, possibly tip it out every year and use it in the lawnmower or whatever and then fill will new and run it through.

Martin

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
OK apologies, but I was trying to be slightly constructive, anyway if it comes in a decent fitting cardboard box why not just seal it in a black bin bag so you don't smell petrol and then put it back in the box or even cut the box down if it's a bit big from packaging etc.

As far as outside use if you are really only going to use it in a dire emergency I would just shroud it with whatever you have at the time and the Mrs's brolly to keep the rain off, doesn't seem much point in carrying even more clutter that you don't envisage using.

Do run it from time to time at home though to keep the fuel fresh, possibly tip it out every year and use it in the lawnmower or whatever and then fill will new and run it through.

Martin

thanks, i will ensure it is started frequently when not in the motorhome, it will mainly be used at home in emergencies to be honest but we will be doing a lot more wild camping so it may come in handy. As with all generators i realise it is a sore subject with some but if we use it, it will be with others in mind.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ours is in its cardboard box in the garage when not in use. Had to fire it up at the weekend to do the hedge trimming at the end of the garden. Started 3rd pull, as long as it is serviced every year, I can't see you'd have any issues!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have two gennies, but we get frequent power cuts and also have electrically operated medical equipment so they are a life saver for us. The big genny stays at home and starts when the power goes out.

The little one is new and is a spare for the big beast, but if we have an underslung LPG tank fitted to the motorhome it should go in vacated locker. Otherwise we will wrap it on cling film, the local market has a stall that often has massive rolls of catering cling film. The alternative to that would be the industrial cling film used to wrap machinery...... or even the stuff used in airports to wrap luggage.

Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We have two gennies, but we get frequent power cuts and also have electrically operated medical equipment so they are a life saver for us. The big genny stays at home and starts when the power goes out.

The little one is new and is a spare for the big beast, but if we have an underslung LPG tank fitted to the motorhome it should go in vacated locker. Otherwise we will wrap it on cling film, the local market has a stall that often has massive rolls of catering cling film. The alternative to that would be the industrial cling film used to wrap machinery...... or even the stuff used in airports to wrap luggage.
Thanks, never thought of using cling film, i would get away with a normal box then as opposed to one that is sealed or airtight. If i never had a gaslow setup i would consider the under slung lpg option and then have a spare outside locker.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Us too, we live next to a railway line, and although they deny it is their fault. Whenever there are engineering works on the line, our power goes out! The Genny is a god send, we have solar etc. in the van, but not a great deal of help when it is 70 miles away and the power goes out.
We have also had to top up the van from the genny when our ultra-reliable weather has failed us! :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Thanks, never thought of using cling film, i would get away with a normal box then as opposed to one that is sealed or airtight. If i never had a gaslow setup i would consider the under slung lpg option and then have a spare outside locker.

I just hope the van is suitable for the underslung tank. We will see.

Had the current van done at Autogas 2000 and they did a superb job but it's a bit far for you.

Reactions: zac

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Also to add further, I have no idea who the actual manufacturer of the Aldi generator is, but I would imagine that the engine block will be aluminium, so corrosion isn't going to be an issue. As long as it is started every once in a while, the piston will remain lubricated. I'm pretty sure, unless you are leaving it in the rain every night, it will be absolutely fine! :D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have had a honda generator for years and keep it stored in a purpose made carrybag that the sides open on to convert to a generator tent. Currently its at the back of my workshop with a small mountain of gear in front (mostly horse tack and the like). Not sure of the manufacturer, but they used to be quite popular with campers before solar panels became so cheap

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
youre in luck, there is still a seller on ebay, though no idea on quality of this one

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
youre in luck, there is still a seller on ebay, though no idea on quality of this one

Great, thanks i will take a look and compare the size of the Honda Eu20i to the one i have as they may be similar in size.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think you will find the aldi one is a clone of the eu20i, which is incidentally what I have and fits the bag well

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I think you will find the aldi one is a clone of the eu20i, which is incidentally what I have and fits the bag well

looks to be the same except depth, the aldi is slightly bigger at 44cm as opposed to the eu20i being 42.5cm, although if i select option 3 on that listing that is a bigger cover for the same money so may be worth getting a bigger cover. As long as it fits thats all that matters and better to be too big than too small, unless there is a reason it has to fit snugly of course.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
For protection in use I used a piece of waterproof nylon slightly longer and three times wider than the generator and fixed 6 short lengths of nylon cord.
Lay the cover over the generator tent fashion and peg down.
Perfectly safe as the generators plastic case barely gets warm and as the 'tent' ends are open it gets a flow of air for cooling and combustion.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I'm looking for a generator now as I have been put on to a cpap machine and humidifier for my sleep apnea. I will carry it in our small camping trailer.

John.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
You can get some good plastic storage boxes these days that would offer protection and a bin bag or similar for the smell. Same with the petrol can.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
@Neckender

Aldi and Lidl get them in from time to time.

You can get 12v lower leads for your CPAP machine and if you declare your sleep apnea you don't pay VAT. The basic CPAP machine needs very little power so will run from your 12v system for quite a few nights. We had extra power points put on near the bed for our equipment and that work was also zero rated for VAT because it was for disability reasons. You have to tell the supplier though. I found the VAT office very helpful https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vat-relief

And the form you should give to the supplier of they don't have one:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ity_Declaration_Disabled_-_March_2015__2_.pdf

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back