Jul 12, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coming soon
Exp
I am new
Hi all,

I am new and really just want a quick reasurance that I am doing the right thing. My self and the husband are going to view a Hymer Fiat B455 1996 2.5 turbo 88k later on in a position to buy.

I have already reduced the asking price to £13,500, the van looks clean from the photos.

But ... The is no hot water coming out of the pipes, the is cold water and hot air for the heating. I have read round and can see this is a well document problem that can go all the way to needing a new boiler.

On the mot the is an oils leak as an advisory, I am not fritened by oil leeks, I think half of my cars have had them and understand that as long as it's a minimum think and an eye is kept on it the van could still go for years.

My question is this, is the van worth £12,500 with these problems, I have tried to use completed listings, auto trader ect to value the van but the is very little out there to compare it with ??? Any help before I make a large bank transfire later and join the club will not fall on deaf ears.

Thanks Laura X

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi and Welcome......(y) Sorry I cant help with your question.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
When you say "no hot water from the pipes" The water will need to be heated for some time to get hot water. This would either be on gas or electric and the system needs to be heated up for the water to come out hot. Are you able to do this?

Wyn

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Probably. There are more factors involved, such as general condition, any damp smells inside, tyres etc. Get a search going as to it's previous MOT record. My own engine has now done around 140,000 miles, and has a tiny oil leak.
A much sort after van, providing that all the boxes are ticked.

Oh, and welcome to *FUN*.....(y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome' I think thats a hard one to answer unless you can see the condition of the van me personally if i had any doubts something wasn't worth the asking price to me then i wouldn't buy it.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Is it a private sale? If so you need to get a full HPI check done on it first! Also make sure the seller is selling it from the address on the V5!! Hot water issue is not the end of the world but as mentioned before, damp etc. could be, perhaps buy a cheap damp meter? Is there anyone else you could take with you who is knowledgeable about motorhomes?

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Hi and welcome john n Linda . Good look with your new mh .
You all ways get teething problems . That why we sell them . and the new ones are just as bad lol .

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello and welcome .. Hymer and £12,500 together don't sound bad but there is so much to look at .. bodywork, tyres, electrics ... worth putting advert on here and you will get loads of help if you join.

Once a member and a mh owner there are lots of people to help re individual jobs that may crop up.

Good luck in making right decision. Joy

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If in real doubt get a mobile engineer to do a full hab and damp check. £100-£150
Find one near the seller, book and pay them and get report sent to you..
http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/search/

Ref the water.. May be as simple as not set up ie water not filled and any air locks removed. as said how have you heated the water ?? Worst case knackered boiler..
Can you get same one for a 1996 van, i'm not sure but do a web search. Someone will know..

OP
OP
Laura F

Laura F

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coming soon
Exp
I am new
Thanks every one for the advice, we have had a good look though the MOTS for the last 6 years or so, they are are fine, normal stuff like tiers and lights and brakes.

Just looking now at nipping to get a damp meater, any recommendations ? I am close to most shops as I am in central Manchester.

I will do the HPI check now it's not worth the risk not to.

I will post a link in a bit when I have done the HPI check X

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hymer is quality built van, as they are not built with timber frames and plywood that can rot .. damp is seldom a problem. Hymer use a build system called PUAL .. (google it) so if there is water ingress, say at a window seal, it won't rot the coachwork.

but without seeing and inspecting it's not possible to say if it's a good buy or not.. get someone to go with you who knows what to look for.. a new Truma boiler is not cheap.. that would be my main concern....

£12.5k is a lot of money and there are plenty of secondhand Hymers to look at..

OP
OP
Laura F

Laura F

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coming soon
Exp
I am new
The HPI looks good, I will need to check the other numbers later when I am at the van x

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
Laura F

Laura F

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coming soon
Exp
I am new
The husband is capable at looking for rot, rust ect and my nose will sell damp in 2 seconds. So a damp meter will not show any thing? We are basically looking at normal water issues, seals ect.

I am ply asking as we looked at a swift a couple of weeks ago and lucky we googled the damp problems as the floor had gone in it, that's why we when straight back to looking at Hymers

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The husband is capable at looking for rot, rust ect and my nose will sell damp in 2 seconds. So a damp meter will not show any thing? We are basically looking at normal water issues, seals ect.

There are lots of posts on here about people who have thought that and sadly not found out how wrong they were until it was too late.

A damp meter will pick up moisture long before it's bad enough to be detected any other way.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome! :WelcomeFlag:You will get loads of help and advice . Best £15 we've spent joining here! Good luck!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
It not the damp or rot you can see
It's what you can't see or don't notice not many vans that age will be totally damp free
As for boiler it could be anything from low water a fuse to knackered
Plus all the above we have all missed things I did a lost 4K on a van

Take care lots of folks have been caught out

And welcome to the mad house called fun

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
now we may never know, gone read only, do join and let us know (y)

my nosey side took over

this one mentions a few issues, 'honest' or 'lazy' seller but does say about boiler issue

this is open to offers and gives warranty, doesn't mention issues, but who knows

OP
OP
Laura F

Laura F

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coming soon
Exp
I am new
now we may never know, gone read only, do join and let us know (y)

my nosey side took over

this one mentions a few issues, 'honest' or 'lazy' seller but does say about boiler issue

this is open to offers and gives warranty, doesn't mention issues, but who knows

Yes it's the top one I am getting excited now, we have wanted one for so long !! We where members years ago as we where about to sell up and go traveling, the the house prices crashed a couple of days before we completed. We are still in the same house and now have 2 kids haha so no year long trip, but every weekend away from the city sounds like heaven X

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yes it's the top one I am getting excited now, we have wanted one for so long !! We where members years ago as we where about to sell up and go traveling, the the house prices crashed a couple of days before we completed. We are still in the same house and now have 2 kids haha so no year long trip, but every weekend away from the city sounds like heaven X

calm down it is only a motorhome :LOL::LOL::LOL:

but we all know what you mean :)

take it steady though, there are others out there to pick from

easily said and says he who went out to definitely buy one with an island bed and came back with a transverse bed, we only went to look as well

welcome back BTW (y)

Citysafe

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Surrey UK
Funster No
MH
A Class EuraMobil
Exp
I think this van may have an early truma combo heater - the earlier ones didn't like running out of water and the vessels can breach as they get too hot. The blown air heater parts would still operate. People generally isolate the water feeding it to stop it leaking. If this has occurred you should be able to see an isolated input (and it happened to mine - I spent weeks trying to weld - seal etc ) - you are into a new combo - I bought a second hand one for £500 or so. Easy to fit although you are supposed to get a gas fitter to do it. If it is for sale broken it unlikely to be a fuse - people know their vans usually. You also need to see if its leaked for a long period if this is the case as it may delaminate the floor underneath usually the corner to the fall . You cant smell damp in my experience - a trick that is used is to park it under cover for 3 months April - May - June and it will not be damp or smell at point of sale - a meter will still test it and find it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ok I can message back now, as I have paid my subs, so you will no get rid of my bad spelling any time soon

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/moisture-meter-n20fr

Will this do the trick form Maplin ?

It would but the problem with that type is that you would have to push the pins through the wall coverings to get an accurate reading.

A non invasive type is usually a better bet for motorhome use.

A lot of us have this one:

That's a good price too, most of us paid around £50 :(

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you need another £500 off to cover boiler replacement, but it looks in good condition for the age.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome (y) early combi boilers are getting obsolete for parts so bank on a combi 4 to replace a 2 -approx £1400 to buy plus fitting :eek:The price at 12500 is reasonable so ask them to repair/replace boiler or knock the cost of new one off ;) Remember £1400 to buy a replacement plus fitting -chances are a 2k bill :eek:At least if they get it repaired (if they can get parts) Let the seller take the hit -I think they will tell you they have already dropped the price so be prepared to walk away but leave them your phone number and allow a couple of days for them to think about it (y) GOOD LUCK (y)
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back