How long should it take for a fridge to cool down? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
In our new Carthago we have a lovely Dometic fridge freezer fitted, but I think it may be slightly faulty. On hook up it takes well over a day, probably a day and a half running flat out to reduce the temperature inside to 5 degrees, and that's in the pooey weather we have had since we picked the van up. I haven't tried it on gas and on 12 volts the temperature after a 2 hour drive doesn't seem to drop at all, so my question is, is this normal? It seems to work fine once the optimum temperature is reached, but our last fridge only took a few hours to get there and then the temperature control could be backed right off. You have to leave the new one at least half way otherwise the temperature creeps up. Is anyone out there a fridge boffin? I would add that there is a wall ventilator and a roof ventilator fitted (both uncovered) and an additional ventilator was fitted by Elite lower down as we have had a microwave installed in the cupboard below.
Thanks,
Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
it shouldn't take that long to reach 5deg ..

also, the most recent models are fitted with a 12v heater is almost same wattage as the 240v mains heater ..

do you have a model number that the specs can be checked please .. ?

http://www.dometicapproved.co.uk/page.aspx?p=maAbsorption

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Which model fridge?
If it the 8000 series they are probably the worst fridge ever made by Dometic and the performance varies enormously between individual fridges. The one in my Hymer the burner sounded like a jet engine and cooling was dreadful wouldn't get below 10 deg on mains and 7 on gas on a cool spring day. Had a new burner fitted, a bit quieter and cooled better, then the ignition leads arced out and burnt through the insulation since I had the burner out to fix it myself (went wrong in Greece last year) it is very quiet now and working much better.
By contrast the one in my mates Carthago is the other extream and gets too cold.
The Dometic spec is to cool to 7 deg in 30deg ambient, doesn't exactly meet food safety guidelines.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We always put our 'fridge on EHU for 48 hours before we leave. 12v will never cool the fridge - it just keeps it at temperature.
Why not, Dometic fridges since the 7000 series (not sure about 6000 series) have temperature control on 12v.

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
It's an RMD 8505. Looks like it might not be the best fridge in the world, but thanks for all your help.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
from the service manual ...

mains is 125 watt .. 12 vdc is 120 watt.. so virtually the same cooling

* note ....setting it too low can have an adverse effect..

1. Failure: The refrigerator does not cool sufficiently.
Possible cause

• Inadequate ventilation to the unit.

• Thermostat setting is too low.

• The condenser is heavily frosted.

• Too much warm food has been stored inside within short period of time.

• The appliance has been running for only a short period of time.

Regularly remove ventilation grilles. Failure: The refrigerator does not cool in gas operation mode.
Ambient temperatures too high.

Failure: The refrigerator does not cool in 12V operation.

Action you can take

Check that the ventilation grilles are not covered. Set thermostat to a higher level.
Check that the refrigerator door closes properly. Allow warm food to cool down before storage.

Check whether the cooling compartment works after approx. 4 - 5 ho

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got the same fridge in our Carthago
We normally turn ours on a day before leaving UK - the freezer is really good. Keeps ice cream solid
Makes ice cubes
Trick not to overfill the fridge or freezer as it blocks air circulation
We fitted two cooling fans and a digital stat - so it coped even in temps circa 40deg.
We mainly use on gas and one 11kg bottle has over lasted two weeks including water heating and cooking.
Seems very economical.
Mind you I did have to adjust the fridge door as it was not a tight fit.

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
By "set the thermostat to a higher level" I assume it means make it colder? Sorry to sound a bit of a dimbo but when I read this in the manual it confused me a bit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We've got the same fridge in our Carthago
We normally turn ours on a day before leaving UK - the freezer is really good. Keeps ice cream solid
Makes ice cubes
Trick not to overfill the fridge or freezer as it blocks air circulation
We fitted two cooling fans and a digital stat - so it coped even in temps circa 40deg.
We mainly use on gas and one 11kg bottle has over lasted two weeks including water heating and cooking.
Seems very economical.
Mind you I did have to adjust the fridge door as it was not a tight fit.
Agree the freezer works OK but not impressed with the fridge I have also fitted fans on the top vent, we get through a 14kg cylinder of gas in 3 weeks, with the 7000 fridge in our last van 11kg lasted 3 weeks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
By "set the thermostat to a higher level" I assume it means make it colder? Sorry to sound a bit of a dimbo but when I read this in the manual it confused me a bit.
Yep, always run mine on 4 bars, doesn't appear to make any difference turning it up to 5.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

yes.. sounds daft but if you set it too cold it has an adverse effect...

every fridge is different, the trick is to find the 'sweet spot' where it works at it's best.. on mine, on a 0 - 10 dial .. . it works best at about 6

in France at present with daily high temps of 30+ C .. fridge is working great ..

I always try to park with fridge vents facing North .. and or under the awning ..and also have two PC fans fitted in the top vent..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back