Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
We are planning a trip through Portugal in the autumn and I understand that it is necessary to have some kind of pass to use Portuguese toll roads. Whilst we hope to avoid tolls and motorways we would like to be prepared in case we need to follow one. Can anyone tell me where I buy one of these? Can I buy it online before travelling or do I need to cross the border to get one? Are there specific border posts where they are available?
Thanks in advance for your help. J

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Some toll roads take cash payments
Others are electronic, with cameras above the road

We spent hours trying to find the way for foreign registered vehicles to pay - but gave up as its a beautocratic nightmare.

Use the roads as you need and if they send you a letter asking for payment when you get home - pay them

Deleted User
It is not actually that difficult if you do a little research beforehand, there are automatic registering machines when entering Portugal at at least 2 of the major crossing points, the A22 in the south and another one in the north.

I cannot post links at the moment but I will try later, google Portugal Electronic Toll Roads and you should come up with something.

It is possible to create an account online but is a little complicated, there is no facility for post payment and they do keep records although the chances of being caught are slim.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jenowen

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Thanks for this information, it seems very complicated! I'll check it out on line.....and work out routes where we don't have to contemplate breaking the law!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I couldn't understand it last year, nor could the people I was travelling with
Lol

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Don't worry,meant of my Portuguese friends don't really understand it,
I have asked some of my English speaking friends to explain and strangely they all start to stutter :(

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Look out for the tourist signs when you enter the system ; A28 - Viana do Castelo; A24 - Chaves; A25 – Vilar Formoso; A22 – Vila Real de Santo António. Use a card in that machine. You'll get a receipt which should be kept to prove you have paid

When you sign up it costs 0.60€+VAT and each journey has an administrative cost of 0.26€+VAT Plus toll.

Payments will come out a month or two later. Maybe.. maybe not.

OP
OP
Jenowen

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
That's really helpful. Thanks Jim. I'll mark these routes on the map, ready to sort this one out. All seems such an interesting way of travelling!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you enter on one of the major routes there could be a lane for foreign cars which takes you to a barrier. I couldn't get the machine to do anything but that was because I had stopped too far from the barrier and the camera couldn't read my number plate. When we pulled forward it suddenly woke up! I can't remember the details but I used my debit card and in theory I should have been charged as I used the toll roads but I never saw anything come out of my account subsequently. But I wouldn't count on that and the charges are quite high where we were in the Algarve.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
shame , not that it makes much difference to alot of people who just drive on it anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back