Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
My friend is coming over but he has lpg on his range rover with a british lpg gas connection, on the car is a male type bayonet, what does the gas filler pipe look like in france, and what type of adaptor do he need and where in England does he buy one and cost

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
rpi engineering or just about any campimg shop these days or look on ebay or ring 07710344320 ask for alan tell him what you need .tell him alan in cornwall gave you his number. he can do fill your own bottle kits. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My friend is coming over but he has lpg on his range rover with a british lpg gas connection, on the car is a male type bayonet, what does the gas filler pipe look like in france, and what type of adaptor do he need and where in England does he buy one and cost

Here is a good page....
Link Removed

And a better page....
Link Removed

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
brian,i think you miss read the post ,mel is talking about filling the tank with auto gas i think.cant see any of the fitting required on the link you gave , i could be blind though. cheers alan.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
brian,i think you miss read the post ,mel is talking about filling the tank with auto gas i think.cant see any of the fitting required on the link you gave , i could be blind though. cheers alan.

Brian.........Alan is correct it was the vehicle connection I was looking for as he/my mate has just had a LPG conversion on his range rover to us gas instead of, or use petrol when he can not get gas......it would be cheaper miles per litre ....he had asked me would I go to a petrol station over here in France to check what was required ...meaning pump connection........I would still not know what connection was required after seeing the pump....and as I know there are many funsters with this expert knowledge as they will be running on gas for there motorhomes, knowing the funsters would help me with this query.

BUT thank you for the information Brian as it will come in handy if I decide to change to
re-fillable LPG 13kg gas bottles.......thank you Mel

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Our gaslow fills at normal filling stations so I was thinking that the adaptor we have for France, the cone type, would work on a car.

I may be wrong, I've just gone and had a look, the Gaslow filler has the standard UK bayonet outer plus an internal screw thread which takes the assorted converters - so the question is does a car filler have the same internal thread ?????

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
BUT thank you for the information Brian as it will come in handy if I decide to change to re-fillable LPG 13kg gas bottles.......thank you Mel

I've already answered the first possible error.

Gaslow is great in my opinion. I fitted it myself in a couple of hours and it just works. Except in Spain where there are few LPG stations.

I have a 13kg Gaslow and a small calor tank in reserve and also for the bbq.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Our gaslow fills at normal filling stations so I was thinking that the adaptor we have for France, the cone type, would work on a car.

I may be wrong, I've just gone and had a look, the Gaslow filler has the standard UK bayonet outer plus an internal screw thread which takes the assorted converters - so the question is does a car filler have the same internal thread ?????

Brian, if you are saying that your Gaslow connection on the bottle is of the male bayonet type......and you need the cap to convert to the European pump...then yes you are correct........me I can not answer either way as I do not know, so I have to take what you Alan are saying onboard...I have passed the info on to the person with r/rover who is coming over to see us in November, and he says to a thank you to you both

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi mel, brian isnt wrong its just i couldnt see the right adapter on gaslows lists i think the one your friend needs is a french cup or claw cup. the other is acme thread .if he googles autogas adaptors he will find lots . i advise he gets a euro kit best be on safe side. but alot of french garages keep them for others to use sometimes. cheers alan.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
hi mel, brian isnt wrong its just i couldnt see the right adapter on gaslows lists i think the one your friend needs is a french cup or claw cup. the other is acme thread .if he googles autogas adaptors he will find lots . i advise he gets a euro kit best be on safe side. but alot of french garages keep them for others to use sometimes. cheers alan.

Many thanks Alan,........ I will pass the info on....

Alan, I found these two items on the link below that Brian passed on, not sure which is the one to buy

Link Removed

01-4300 Italian/French fill adaptor £16.00
•01-4310 Euro adaptor £11.50

Mel in France

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats the ones. i did say i might be blind.ha ha.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would get both as it as been known for some french garages near the german border to use the acme screw instead of the cup version.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
no such thing as a french cup ; france uses the italian cup

eric 83

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
30+yrs
go to a total garage that sells gpl (french name) and ask for adapture, they tend to keep all types and lend you them to fill up!

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
total garages charge the highest prices wherever you go ....usually 10c/litre more than the supermarkets ; one fill would pay the price of an adapter

ps , my local total garage doesn't have ANY adaptors ...did have one , but an english guy stole it

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
ACME is meant to be the new euro standard filler so you'll be needed that adaptor eventually.

Can't happen soon enough if you ask me, especially if you have an RV :winky:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
hang about
ACME was the standard 40 years ago but has been abandoned almost everywhere in w. europe ..still some in belgium and I presume germany though
uk uses the dutch system
france uses the italian system
euroconnector is going to be the new european standard ...supposedly , but I have so far seem one pump in the whole of europe ..at madrid airport

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
Acme is apparently still used in Belgium, Germany, Ireland and Austria

But yes it is old and i can't understand why THAT fitting would become the proposed new euroconnector

hitch hiker

Free Member
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
hi lebsett,

so green at all of this, now i think i understand, you mean you buy refillable bottles,and adapters to fill these, not get adapter to fill up a calor gas bottle., then get adapter to fill up tank on truck.
you guys must laugh at the stupidity of us newbies:ROFLMAO:

hitch hiker

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
all bottles are re-fillable , question is by whom ?
personally I just use standard bottles using the normal european thread ...calor 4.5 Kg butane in uk

most places I can use a local bottle with this thread , otherwise I just fill my own ; I had a solid brass converter turned maybe 30 years ago ; I only fill empty bottles and then with the amount specified by the original vendor ...safety first !

having run vehicles on lpg for more than 25 years I am well aware of all the systems available

but the thread I listed before covers what you need to know !

mickey

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
France
Funster No
Exp
3 months
Lpg connection

Hi Heyupluv,
You can buy the french conversation kit on line,its an acme to cup filler, quite easily in uk My trouble is I am actually in France and trying to buy one here.Nightmare.So get one before you or your friends come over.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Heyupluv,
You can buy the french conversation kit on line,its an acme to cup filler, quite easily in uk My trouble is I am actually in France and trying to buy one here.Nightmare.So get one before you or your friends come over.

Hi Mickey, yes he has got one now as the thread is a old one, I put the thread on 5/10/2009....did you have any luck, I left you a message to your thread when you was at Calais did you try Weldom builders merchants for your gas connection/regulator.

yes I live in France

Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back