crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
i have a 12 v T.V it not will run on the leisure battery, when I plug in to the mains it works perfect, if I unplug it from the mains the leisure battery will not run the T.V can any tell me why ?

thanks In advance

crabs

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you are on hook up it should work on your batteries sounds like a fuse blown somewhere?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
The probe on the 12v power cable that pushes into the female connector contains a fuse that has blown on ours a couple of times

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Are you sure that your leisure battery is ok? Me thinks its time it was tested. The battery may well operate your lights etc but the TV draws a much larger current. Oh do not trust the vans own battery gauge, they're notoriously optimistic & therefor unreliable.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
As stated check the leisure battery voltage. If less than about 12.2 volts the TV will not switch on.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
read all your replies, I have tried it from the cab golly no luck, the fuse is ok clickem, it may be a good idea I get the battery checked as ambulanceman says, it is about the only thing left I have not checked, might be a fuse ii have overlooked speve I will check the lot again as well, just picked up your post teenvan99 it sounds it may well be the problem, the power coming put the battery I will get it checked out

anyway thanks again if ii can find the problem I will post about it

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Did the 12 volt cable come with the television if not it could be wired up the wrong way round just a thought

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Presumably you have a 12v power "brick" and a separate mains power "brick" to operate the TV??

Do you have a 12v socket in the can running off the engine battery? If so, worth trying that with the TV before anything else.

If that works, it's probably a missed fuse or a knackered leisure battery.

Probably best to plug in the 12v power brick into the socket you usually use and check if you have an output voltage before chucking out your leisure battery (or having it tested by someone trying to flog you another). Then work backwards, if no power, check the plug fuse, then try something else in the socket that it plugs into (cigarette lighter?) and if that doesn't work, finally, check the 12v fuse for the whole 12v circuit.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
have a car eclectics guy coming to check the system and the battery this week, he has fixed sparks on MH before and has the test equipment for the battery, so we will see, thanks again for your time to reply everybody

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Did the 12 volt cable come with the television if not it could be wired up the wrong way round just a thought
Crabman states it works on mains voltage.
If the 12v lead was wired in reverse it would blow the tv completely....no 12v, no 230v.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Either a diode to protect against reverse polarity or a blown fuse. These things usually use unfused switched mode power supplies to provide a 12v DC input. If the 230V power supply works, then the set is OK, so it is most likely a 12v supply problem as described r a broken 12v supply brick

Fault finding in this matter is known as the half-split (or divide and conquer) methodology

"The technician will use their experience to make an educated guess as to where the fault may lie, and then progress forward or backward in the particular circuit whether it be"

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'm going to take a wild guess here. You know when you get the 12v socket attachment out of the packet, and there is the spare positive head, and we all think "why would I need that?" well it has a different pin size. So I'm guessing you need to swap the heads so that the pin hits the positive connection.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm going to take a wild guess here. You know when you get the 12v socket attachment out of the packet, and there is the spare positive head, and we all think "why would I need that?" well it has a different pin size. So I'm guessing you need to swap the heads so that the pin hits the positive connection.
?

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Next time you're parked up near someone else in a MH, introduce yourself, explain your TV problem and ask if you can try it in their van.

Results will determine if it is the TV and/or TV power cable, or with your MH electrics.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A multimeter is an essential part of my motorhoming toolkit.

You can check your battery voltage.

You can check your 12 volt tv power lead.

You can check all your fuses.

I got mine from Maplins for about seven shillings and sixpence...

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back