Replace it or not? (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I suspect that my cab battery has had it, I also suspect it is the one it originally had fitted when it was new, so its 5 years old. So earlier on, I went and removed the battery, and took a volt reading and it was 12.85 volts.

It is now an hour later, and I have just taken a reading, and it is showing 12.6 volts. I am going to take another reading shortly, but what is the consensus from you electrickery people out there? Is that good or bad? To my mind since it isn't connected to anything, the voltage should stay pretty static.

I know I could wait until tomorrow, but Halfords is just around the corner, and I am at the van!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You sound like you have already yourself doubt in the battery, I am guessing it has let you down as well

Not too sure how much money you are taking about but my thought is, it may last a good while longer, but if I have been let I would be changing it

I did mine, all my flat battery issues disappeared

well that and being banned from plugging a little inverter into the cab battery anyway :LOL:

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You sound like you have already yourself doubt in the battery, I am guessing it has let you down as well
Not let me down, but the leisure batteries seem to run down quicker than I would have thought they should, so I think they are endlessly topping up the cab battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
If you take the battery into halfords or wherever they will do a test on it to tell you if you have a dud cell or something rather than relying on readings from home. Also unless the battery is disconnected completely there is likely to be continuous drain from alarms, clocks, internal electrics etc so not sure how relevant an hourly reading would be.
IMHO better to get it tested correctly and renewed as the last thing you want is a flat battery just when you need to use the van.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Think I'd be pretty happy with those figures so far. Just changed the 10 year old original battery on my Volvo V50. Tested it similar to you and the voltage had dropped to10.6 volts within half an hour of disconnecting.
What makes you think the hab batteries are topping up the cab batteries ? Could it be the other way round or maybe your alternator is struggling ? What van have you got ?

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Think I'd be pretty happy with those figures so far. Just changed the 10 year old original battery on my Volvo V50. Tested it similar to you and the voltage had dropped to10.6 volts within half an hour of disconnecting.
What makes you think the hab batteries are topping up the cab batteries ? Could it be the other way round or maybe your alternator is struggling ? What van have you got ?
Well with the van powered down, after a sunny day the leisure batteries are showing 100% I do a level check and the vehicle battery shows 12.8 volts on the sargent. In the morning the leisure batteries will be down to about 90% and both leisure and vehicle show 12.5 volts.
The leisure batteries are very new, so I don't suspect them. It's a Swift Sundance in answer to your question.
Just taken a new reading, the battery (which is out of the van) is now showing 12.4, I think I'll go and grab a new one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back