Maplin Small Induction Hob 500w £24.99 (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Spotted this in a Funsters awning ((y) @Don Quixote) at Bagwell & looks ideal for when on EHU as small & neat:
500w-mini-induction-hob.jpg

Currently reduced from £30 down to £24.99 delivered at Maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/500w-mini-induction-hob-a11tz so have ordered one & thought other Funsters might like it too :) Don't forget to go via Quidco for 4% Maplins cashback.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Does it do anything that the gas ring on my cooker can't do?

Or is it just another motorhome "toy" that we all love so much (for a little while) but which ultimately ends up in a cupboard at home, never to see the light of day again!

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Does it do anything that the gas ring on my cooker can't do?
JJ :cool:

If you are on hook up it could warm up a cup of soup, eventually. Only 500W !

PS.... It's 500W yet has high/med/low power settings.

Deleted User
I bought a similar one from Aldi for home use. The heat settings are fixed at high, low, medium so you can't adjust if you want something to just simmer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I should have said "If you are on hook up it could warm up a cup of soup, eventually but save your gas supply".
But it usually costs 3 times as much for the same amount of energy compared to gas. Wouldn't work anyway we have S/S saucepans and don't use EHU.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Can't my gas ring do that?

Gas is always best for cooking. But I hate being forced to take a hookup when I don't need the electric. So when I have to, I make sure I use it and save my gas. We have one of these and it works well; two rings, one 1500w the other 750w

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We already have a 2000w large induction hob which is really powerful (we only use low settings) but a bit big in our small motorhome. When we are on sites (like Caravan Club) where EHU is part of the pitch fee we do use the electric hob, kettle, toaster etc... It is also really useful to be able to cook outside with it as we don't have an external gas point. Do appreciate that gas is cheaper but if you have a small motorhome with just one bottle (even if it is refillable) it's good to have the choice - look at the demand for EHU pitches at rallies! You don't need special pans with induction hobs just stainless steel (y) Aluminium pans might be light but their use has been linked to Alzheimers :eek:
Most separate induction hobs cost around £40 so think that at £24.99 this one is worth a try to see if it suits us better than the large one & there is always Maplins 30 day return policy :)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just trying out the Maplin hob - it is small & neat & only weighs just over 1.2 kg (y) It takes about the same time as our old cooker hob at home for small pan size quantities & excellent for use with our (stainless) Bialletti Venus coffee pot. It is possible to put larger pans on it but whereas 500ml of water (temperature from tap 21 degrees) takes 7 minutes to boil it takes twice as long for 1l so really suited to smaller quantities. Will be trying it with a pressure cooker soon & seeing if it gets a frying pan hot enough to cook off onions, meat etc. Only disappointment so far is that it says it has three heat settings on Maplin website but has Low, High & 30 min (timed cooking so runs for 30 mins on high then turns off) so actually only two. Will know after trialling it a bit more with our home cooking if this is an issue or not. It is certainly a great addition but uncertain yet whether it can totally replace our larger higher wattage induction hob.
IMG_20160714_172020999.jpg

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
IMV you can't beat a good old fashioned hotplate rather than induction - you can get one that runs at 1000w max so just don't turn it up fully when on low amps, BUT then you have the advantage that you CAN use it on full if you have amps to do so.

No special pans needed, larger surface area so safer, less breakable, more controllable ... oh yes, and cheaper!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have tried a few solid hotplate type hobs but ended up returning them as too slow & poor build quality - much slower than even this low wattage mini induction hob. Prefer low wattage as possible to run more things at same time :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suppose it depends which ones you buy, I've had a few in my time and find that often the 'better' make ones are the slowest!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Tried the Maplin hob for cooking a "healthy fried" egg (frying pan just wiped with olive oil & pan lid on) & at 500w it sizzled a bit too much but perfect at 250w (y) Again about the same time as our cooker hob at home. Used with a medium sized pressure cooker it maintained the pressure using just 250w - this was testing just with water but will try with food too soon. Using ready boiled water from the electric kettle makes using a larger pan viable as although fast with small quantities as pointed out before large quantities from cold on 500w take longer than a higher wattage hob but excellent for simmering once up to temperature. So far it's impressive so don't think we will be taking advantage of the 30 day return policy.

Deleted User
IMV you can't beat a good old fashioned hotplate rather than induction - you can get one that runs at 1000w max so just don't turn it up fully when on low amps, BUT then you have the advantage that you CAN use it on full if you have amps to do so.

No special pans needed, larger surface area so safer, less breakable, more controllable ... oh yes, and cheaper!

Are you sure that's how it works, all the hotplates that we have had seem to work on a thermostat that turns the power on and off at full power until the heat setting is reached, never really checked it but that is how it appears to work.

Deleted User
Have tried a few solid hotplate type hobs but ended up returning them as too slow & poor build quality - much slower than even this low wattage mini induction hob. Prefer low wattage as possible to run more things at same time :)

The problem with solid hotplates is that they need time to heat up that big lump of iron, induction is instantaneous.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Suppose it's useful for cooking stinky things outside too like curry, fish etc.
That's what we like it for plus when it's really hot weather it's good to cook outside & keep the motorhome cool :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
500W strikes me as being unnecessarily low on power. Given that you usually have at least 6A of 230V, a 1200W model would be more versatile/faster. Just remember to have compatible (magnetic) pans.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
..... Aluminium pans might be light but their use has been linked to Alzheimers :eek:
..........:)

During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back