Our 1st Euro Tour to France .. HELP !! (1 Viewer)

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Hi Funsters

The time has nearly come, we have been waiting months to go on our 1st French tour in our MH, and been waiting 7 years to take a holiday (too long I know) ..

We have a campsite already booked in Rives (SW Dordoigne region), the Eurotunnel is booked for an 20:30 crossing as we have chosen to travel through the night to arrive early doors at the site.

My big question is our route .. .. .. I am reluctant to travel through/around Paris based upon all the information and advise I have gathered, yet I want to take the fastest route possible. Therefore will travelling via Paris in the evening be more successful in terms of the amount of traffic, or should I still avoid it like the plague ??

I am looking for advise travelling as I have not driven to Southern France before.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
France is a big country, we discovered that over 30 years ago. Take it easy, enjoy the drive, and see France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
My route to the Dordoinge would be

Calais - Rouen - Evereux - Dreux - Chartres - Orleans - Vierzon - Brive

The only Toll I would use is the section Boulogne to Abbeville before Rouen.

The Vierzon - Brive section is free motorway all the way.

As @Badknee says it is a long way in one go. I would consider stopping south of Orleans before Vierzon. We normally spend a night at Camping Soloinge in Salbris.

Lunarman

OP
OP
John&Kate

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Thank you for your fast responses ..
We are able to share the drive so I wont be doing it all myself, but our leaving time from the UK means going at night so we are going to do as much as we can through the night, which means very little sight seeing can be done in the dark !!
I am quite hopefull I know of doing it in one trip, but I want to go on the shortest route possible, and via Michelin that is via Paris. Will Paris through the evening be such a task as all the rumours suggest?

Our journey home will be the time to cruise back via Bordeaux and up the coast taking in some sights and using some Aires.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Don't forget France is one hour ahead so it will be after 10 o'clock before you clear Calais. We used to find that type of distance tiring even in a car and in daylight and we used to share the driving! Paris about three a half to four hours from Calais,no idea what traffic will be like at that time of morning I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

As @Badknee says it is a long way in one go. I would consider stopping south of Orleans before Vierzon. We normally spend a night at Camping Soloinge in Salbris.

Lunarman

I lived in Dordogne for 7 years and drove to UK and back regularly, though mostly by car.

@lunarman 's route is far better than going near Paris ( trust me, I tried it, maddest drivers you'll ever meet)
You can go via Le Mans too. Plenty of Aires along the way to stop at. Don't overstretch yourself on the driving, not worth the strain.

I used to do Rouen, Le Mans, Tours, then I went left route to Angouleme. It's also possible to godown to Limoges, then Brive.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have a campsite already booked in Rives (SW Dordoigne region), the Eurotunnel is booked for an 20:30 crossing as we have chosen to travel through the night to arrive early doors at the site..

First check if they will in fact let you in"early doors".

The rest only time can cure, sooner or later you'll discover MH speed which is not to arrive there knackered and stressed out but a day later with a big smile on your face.

I guess after such a wait you feel keen to get there.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
but I want to go on the shortest route possible, and via Michelin that is via Paris.

It is but only by 10km. Either way that's a hell of a journey in one go. If you really want to do it non stop I'd recommend the motorways and just pay the tolls. They're much nicer to drive on than our own.

Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 18.49.21.png

It's similar to the first leg of our trip next week end, we're going to Chamonix, but I won't be doing it in one hit. We've got a morning train and we're going to go about 4 hours from Calais and then stop for the rest of the day/night. We'll then have a similar drive the next day and be on the aire in Chamonix just after lunch on Sunday.

You'll get lots of advice saying never go on toll roads, take the minor roads, stop in every hamlet you see, take 8 months to get there and see France. A lot of people on this forum don't seem to understand that many of us are not retired and therefore have limited time away. We can't waste it all taking the slow scenic route :whistle:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Have to say, when I had to do the drive Calais to home ( an hour south of Angouleme) in one hit, I got home knackered. Could take me 9 hours with brief stops to let dogs out, me go to the loo etc...
Doing the drive in the motorhome where I could stop for the night, have several cuppas, sleep, see to the animals properly, was much, much more relaxing.
Enjoy the journey as much as the holiday when you get there.

I'd misread your destination ----duh!---- Nic Nic's grey route is a good one.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Why drive at night? You will miss the best bits! The easiest and quickest, no small towns or frequent roundabouts in the dark, is via the motorways.

Yes you pay for it - about £200 return but you do get more time wherever you are going.

Whatever way you travel France is a wonderful country, don't forget to take the sun cream!

Enjoy

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We have a campsite already booked in Rives (SW Dordoigne region), the Eurotunnel is booked for an 20:30 crossing as we have chosen to travel through the night to arrive early doors at the site.

Please be careful with plans to drive all night, you need to add the time from home to the Tunnel allow time to bug*er about with the shuttle and then start south, all this in a van with a cruising speed of probably 60 mph, after finishing up at work and home then packing etc you will be tired. Unless your both shift workers and used to night work I would suggest this is a very unsafe plan. Too many accidents have been caused by UK drivers falling asleep on French Roads, a French motorway at night is a very lonely place. pick an Aire near Calais and start fresh in the sunshine to following day and enjoy the trip rather than endure it!!

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
@NickNic I think you have the wrong Rives. The OP is going to Rives in the Dordogne near to Villereal

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would like to endorse the views of many here, please stop on the journey, there are plenty of good suggestions on this site somewhere if you search. At least plan a stop somewhere nice before you go. Saves you being desperate on the road. You might decide to travel on, but at least there is a plan B in place.
Be careful of Rouen, isn't that the place with all the low tunnels?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@NickNic I think you have the wrong Rives. The OP is going to Rives in the Dordogne

Apologies. Google doesn't appear to know where that one is.

That same applies though, it's still a long way in one go. If it's this one then I'd suggest the OP's viaMichelin is wrong and via Paris isn't the shortest, but might be 15 minutes quicker.

I'd still do it with a stopover, probably somewhere around Tours and definitely stick with the motorways.

Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 19.17.41.png

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
As said you are taking on a very long drive. France is vast and it's easy to be overambitious for your first trip. One thing to look out for if taking the Rouen route. Beware of height limits. There is at least one underpass there with VERY low clearance. There are the smug ones who say if you keep your eyes open it is signed but I got as far as hitting the height barrier - luckily not the bridge. Others have not been so lucky!

On your return trip take your time, there is plenty to see. Enjoy your trip.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I would like to endorse the views of many here, please stop on the journey, there are plenty of good suggestions on this site somewhere if you search. At least plan a stop somewhere nice before you go. Saves you being desperate on the road. You might decide to travel on, but at least there is a plan B in place.
Be careful of Rouen, isn't that the place with all the low tunnels?

Yes it is stay out of the outside lane

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Lunarman

Fully agree,,excellent road all the way. BUSBY.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'd go over the Pont du Normandie and by pass Rouen.

That might be because 'er indoors is scared of bridges though :whistle::D

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
As others say MHing is about the travel not the race, but it seems you are tied to get there quickly . Just remember some sites shut for lunch and may not let you on until 2pm . Stopping is essential for safety and comfort but the motorway aires are not advisable at night for long stops. We always pull off and find lovely quiet aires in villages.
Good luck! Next year you will meander down and not book anywhere just rock up!!

OP
OP
John&Kate

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Thanks to everybody for your input

This is the sound advise I require, and lets face it I would like to make another trip once this one is complete, after making it home safely and having had a break with some relaxation.

I take on board everyone's suggestions and me & the Mrs will re-plan the trip trip tomorrow and leave a little earlier to introduce a stop over hopefully halfway. We have a copy of the Aires books and with everyone's advise hope to make the journey safely.

We have 2 young children and were trying to minimize the amount of "are we there yet" by traveling at night, but thinking and looking at the route realistically we agree with all comments. Although I am now looking for further information on those "low Bridges" through Rouen @Riverbankannie :confused:

Many Thanks :)(y):cool:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks to everybody for your input

This is the sound advise I require, and lets face it I would like to make another trip once this one is complete, after making it home safely and having had a break with some relaxation.

I take on board everyone's suggestions and me & the Mrs will re-plan the trip trip tomorrow and leave a little earlier to introduce a stop over hopefully halfway. We have a copy of the Aires books and with everyone's advise hope to make the journey safely.

We have 2 young children and were trying to minimize the amount of "are we there yet" by traveling at night, but thinking and looking at the route realistically we agree with all comments. Although I am now looking for further information on those "low Bridges" through Rouen @Riverbankannie :confused:

Many Thanks :)(y):cool:
Travelling with little ones is a different story !! You may need to stop more and find parks, picnic areas for those breaks! Let us know how you get on!!

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Some really sound advice in the previous posts, we max out around 250 miles a day when on the way to a one destination holiday as anymore than that starts to become a chore and you're supposed to be on holiday!!

In a motorhome we've discovered that the journey is part of the holiday!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Due to a dodgy satnav we ended up on the "Perifearique" at 8.30 pm on a Saturday evening in April, never again.

It resembled a cross between a race track and a scene out of.a Mad Max movie, full of absolute lunatics.

I am not a Sunday driver, having driven hundreds of thousands of miles all over the world, but that was sheer bloody madness,

I had the insurance phone number ready for most of it as I was sure we would not emerge intact.

If it ever happened again I would make sure to turn back and find a different route, I thought driving it in the daylight was a shock, but never, ever again in the dark.

Hymie.

PS. As said above, too many miles in a day turns it from a pleasure into a chore, relax and enjoy a beautiful country, so much to discover.

Reactions: f6c

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Although I am now looking for further information on those "low Bridges" through Rouen

You should not get involved in these as long as you drive down the A28 and follow either the road to "Pont De Larche" or the route to Paris you will be nowhere near the tunnels.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It sounds as if you are amongst the younger ones on here and are probably quite capable of driving through the night but with two kiddies and the other half on board on a strange road (and the wrong side) is a big ask.... I know you will both take it in turns to drive but it's a lonely tiring drive when all others are asleep...

As mentioned the camp site will probably only let you in pm if fully booked so you may be rushing for nothing and it will be no fun for the kids when their parents are both asleep or grumpy all afternoon and evening because your knackered .....

I hope you have a great time as I'm sure you will as it's lovely over there so consider your timings and have a perfect time...:france::france::)(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I can understand your wish to cover the miles we are always short of time and try to get there quickly but I would have a half time break.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back