Yet another packing thread (1 Viewer)

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
So on the first trip what was the thing you really wish you had taken along and what did you take that was completely pointless?

We are getting stuff ready for Monday when we head off to pick up the hire van in Rheinfelden for our test trip through the Poitou Charent region then St Tropez (Tom Jones concert! Knickers at the ready) then back through Provence.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The completely pointless thing was the grill (the gas one that is part of the motorhome when you get it) - we had it taken out and put a microwave in asap.

Wish we had taken a radio / CD player - we don't have tv in the van and the cab radio (we found) wasn't that good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Wish I'd remembered the bottle opener.

Pointless thing was the bottles of wine.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We have a TecTower oven/grill - pathetic! Forgot to take the microwave on last trip - really regretted it.

We built the microwave in and will leave it when we trade the MH in. I already have a new one for the new van which is just the right size for one of the cupboards which already has a power point in the right place :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SwissBob
Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Wish I'd remembered the bottle opener.

Pointless thing was the bottles of wine.

How to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew:

Put bottom of bottle into a shoe.

Remove foil.

Bash bottle and shoe against a wall or floor.

After a few bashes the cork pops up and you can twist it out.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
How to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew:

Put bottom of bottle into a shoe.

Remove foil.

Bash bottle and shoe against a wall or floor.

After a few bashes the cork pops up and you can twist it out.
Did that now I have cava all over my ceiling :)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Microwave only good when hooked up right? Or are there 12v / inverter ones?
A microwave is OK on an inverter BUT you need a good battery bank and good means of re-charging, either lots of solar or alternator + A2B (or whatever it is people have but we don't) when driving.

Martin

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Small pressure cooker much more useful than a microwave although neither necessary for a short trip in a hire van, did have one in a caravan but never found the need to use a hook up in a Motorhome.
Always take the bikes sometimes don't use them but when you leave them at home you always find a nice cycle route.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You say you are picking up the van in Rheinfelden do make sure you know exactly what you are getting with the van.
We hired a couple of times in Germany before buying and when you hire a Hymer you get a Hymer and nothing else. Our first stop had to be shopping for mugs plates pots & pans etc luckily we had brought our bedding (& bikes of course).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SwissBob
Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Good point @Lenny HB - It's a Possl Globecar from McRent Germany and comes with a "Kitchen Kit". Failed to get a detailed inventory but we're told it has everything needed for cooking and eating. We will take some crockery, pans and wine glasses in the car to use if necessary. It's only an hour or so from our place anyway so we could nip back if required.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Good point @Lenny HB - It's a Possl Globecar from McRent Germany and comes with a "Kitchen Kit". Failed to get a detailed inventory but we're told it has everything needed for cooking and eating. We will take some crockery, pans and wine glasses in the car to use if necessary. It's only an hour or so from our place anyway so we could nip back if required.
We have a Possl and they don't come with ovens or grills as standard so if you need one I'd check with them. We haven't fitted one to ours as it's only new and first van we've had without oven so will give it a few more outings before deciding although it looks like we're happy without the oven.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Microwave only good when hooked up right? Or are there 12v / inverter ones?

There are 12v microwaves, RoadPro do them, but I think they would eat through the battery power pretty quickly. Our mains low power microwave will run from our genny :). Usually we have EHU at least every other night as we need medical equipment and I don't rest if we don't have a couple of days battery reserve. I know that is specific to us and our needs but explains why the microwave is useful for us :) I also use it to sterilise some of the plastic stuff I need to be completely germ free.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
There are 12v microwaves, RoadPro do them, but I think they would eat through the battery power pretty quickly. Our mains low power microwave will run from our genny :). Usually we have EHU at least every other night as we need medical equipment and I don't rest if we don't have a couple of days battery reserve. I know that is specific to us and our needs but explains why the microwave is useful for us :) I also use it to sterilise some of the plastic stuff I need to be completely germ free.
When do you get your new van Helen ? Is it soon!

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
The completely pointless thing was the grill (the gas one that is part of the motorhome when you get it) - we had it taken out and put a microwave in asap.

Wish we had taken a radio / CD player - we don't have tv in the van and the cab radio (we found) wasn't that good.
We had the microwave taken out, the storage space provided is more useful, our full cooker gets well used.
The thing about 'essentials' for trips is that what is essential for some trips, is surplus to requirements for others

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
When do you get your new van Helen ? Is it soon!

We pick it up on the 18th, it is at the dealers now and having the extras fitted, well I don't expect they are working Sunday but you know what I mean. I will start a new thread when we have internet access. We'll be away in it for about a week after pick up.

We had the microwave taken out, the storage space provided is more useful, our full cooker gets well used.
The thing about 'essentials' for trips is that what is essential for some trips, is surplus to requirements for others

There is no oven in our van, there was just the grill which took 20 minutes to not toast a piece of bread. I use my slow cooker a lot (that will run on 12v and inverter) and you can get 12v slow cookers I think. I even have the slow cooker on when travelling but the smell makes you hungry.....

I store stuff in the microwave when not using it...... but make sure the turntable and rotating arm are taken out when it's not in use.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I expect you are getting very excited!
Mr Grumpy the neighbour will be green with envy you will have to pretend you've won the lottery!! That'll irks him!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I expect you are getting very excited!
Mr Grumpy the neighbour will be green with envy you will have to pretend you've won the lottery!! That'll urks him!!

He refers to the van we have as "your caravan". His wife still hasn't got her head around the idea that we don't take the car. "How do you get around without a car?" "We have the van" "But how do you get to the supermarket?" "We take the van, or use our bikes, public transport or walk." Blank look.

When we first got Buffy he decided he was going to get one and we lent him some magazines. He brought them back two days later saying "I didn't realise Dormobiles were so expensive". I managed to keep my face straight. Another neighbour does think we have won the lottery - and keeps making references to "prize winners". Wonder what she will say when we get it?????

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
He refers to the van we have as "your caravan". His wife still hasn't got her head around the idea that we don't take the car. "How do you get around without a car?" "We have the van" "But how do you get to the supermarket?" "We take the van, or use our bikes, public transport or walk." Blank look.

When we first got Buffy he decided he was going to get one and we lent him some magazines. He brought them back two days later saying "I didn't realise Dormobiles were so expensive". I managed to keep my face straight. Another neighbour does think we have won the lottery - and keeps making references to "prize winners". Wonder what she will say when we get it?????
She will think so!!
He Mr victor grumpy is just a jealous old fool ( allegedly ) :LOL:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
She will think so!!
He Mr victor grumpy is just a jealous old fool ( allegedly ) :LOL:

You not wrong about him!

I actually received a small inheritance (most given to the kids) and also had a couple of investments mature.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
You not wrong about him!

I actually received a small inheritance (most given to the kids) and also had a couple of investments mature.
Good on you for spending it on something you love and will get loads of enjoyment out off! He will be ' spitting feathers' as we say here when you drive it proudly up the drive!! Of course his ploy may be to ignore it and not show interest but those nets will be twitching!!:LOL:

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Another plug for a Dutch oven (or double skillet) as you can warm stuff up in it and bake dry too. Cook pizza etc
Everything you need your microwave for basically.
Wouldn't be without mine
I keep it in the inbuilt oven which is useless

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
So on the first trip what was the thing you really wish you had taken along and what did you take that was completely pointless?
Our very first trip was in a rented Swift Voyager 630EL, we were total novices, and essentially we had thought: this motor home malarky, it sounds like fun!
We were so clueless on our first trip, that I think we got absolutely everything wrong! We pitched up at the Barcelona Grand Prix, our first port of call. I couldn't get the van level because I picked a really sloping pitch. So everything in the fridge went rotten because it wasn't working properly. I never truly mastered the hot water controls in that van. I managed to get about 30 seconds of hot water, and that was it.
We wanted a BBQ one night, so I walked about 5 miles into town to get some disposables, it took me about 2 hours to get there and back, and when I returned I was in such a foul mood I didn't want a BBQ anymore. So on the things I wish I'd had list - a BBQ :D Also, we didn't have anything to store our drinking water in, so that's another for the list!
What we did take that turned out to be utterly pointless was our picnic backpack. We thought that would be ideal for going into the Grand Prix, since it has a cooled section, and cutlery, glasses etc. Sadly, you aren't allowed to take metal objects into the grounds at Barcelona when the F1 is on, so it never got used. Plus all of our food had gone rotten in the fridge!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back