Restriction on Sites (1 Viewer)

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Hi, I currently have a Swift Kontiki 665 at 7.5m long. Am seriously considering buying the new 'Comanche' and took a look at it today at the Malvern show. Love the vehicle, inside and out and am almost ready to sign on the dotted line and empty my life savings :Doh: My question is, the 'Comanche' is 8.6m long, will this severely restrict my use of sites both here and mainland europe ? I am a member of both the UK clubs e.g. CC and C&CC and know that we could get pitches on most of there sites. however, what about non club sites in UK ? We tour Europe every summer and enjoy sites that are near the coast, lakes or rivers.

grateful for advice and comments from those who have similar or larger sized units.

Many thanks

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I am not allowed to blatantly advertise on here - but you could look outside of the European sphere - look at where 8000 American Rvs (up to 12 metres long) park.

See <here>

See<Link Removed>

See <Here>

You might be a tad surprised at how many sites cater for the 'larger' man! :thumb:

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi - we have a 5'er which is just over the 8metre (27ft ) but we are just under 40ft when hitched up and driving on or off sites - we have been on many sites this year and found that of the two major clubs the Caravan Club is the least accomodating with some un-necessarily aggressive attitudes by the wardens - The camping and caravan club seem to be more relaxed if you speak with the warden on site and we have found some quite welcoming although they do always seem to say 'we have a 26ft limit but no worries'. To be honest if we are going somewhere we do not know a site we always use the big pitch guide www.the-big-pitch-guide.com and we have always found a good welcome. The cost is less than one of the major clubs per year and is good value in our opinion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We are in the CCC of GB and can only speak regarding them,, we have used their sites a lot when we had a 5th wheel, we used to explain the set up about the 5th wheel and the truck coming apart and not being much longer when separate than a large twin wheeled caravan and 4X4 most will accomodate you,, the same when we had our Tag Axle Hobby and car trailer,, we were never refused entry and we have toured the UK and Scotland extensivly with big rigs..

But as I say give the Warden a bell first.. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
At under 26ft you are shorter than most tuggers outfits so shouldn't have a problem on CC sites some of which have 28ft rule ..
I say 'shouldn't' but there is a growing prejudice by some wardens to large motorhomes irrespective of rules.. however, if you roll up with a dirty great 4x4 pulling a twin axle caravan, (overall length well in excess of 30ft,) you won't have a problem.. :RollEyes: For this reason I won't renew my CC membership.

Abroad most French sites and aires will be fine but not so in Spain where they tend to have much smaller pitches with tight access with low branches just waiting to rip off roof furniture .. best to walk the route into the site and check before committing. A bush saw is a useful bit of kit if you get into a jam .. :winky:

best of luck

jim

OP
OP
B

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
I am not allowed to blatantly advertise on here - but you could look outside of the European sphere - look at where 8000 American Rvs (up to 12 metres long) park.

See <here>

See<Link Removed>

See <Here>

You might be a tad surprised at how many sites cater for the 'larger' man! :thumb:

Absolutely fantastic information, just the sort of information I was hoping to receve. The suggested information has been saved to my favourites folder and once the decision has been made to purchase (I think it already has !) we shall be subscribing. Very many thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Hi - we have a 5'er which is just over the 8metre (27ft ) but we are just under 40ft when hitched up and driving on or off sites - we have been on many sites this year and found that of the two major clubs the Caravan Club is the least accomodating with some un-necessarily aggressive attitudes by the wardens - The camping and caravan club seem to be more relaxed if you speak with the warden on site and we have found some quite welcoming although they do always seem to say 'we have a 26ft limit but no worries'. To be honest if we are going somewhere we do not know a site we always use the big pitch guide www.the-big-pitch-guide.com and we have always found a good welcome. The cost is less than one of the major clubs per year and is good value in our opinion

I know what you mean. We wanted a weekend 'bolt hole' and saw an 'Adults Only' site just 22 miles away. There website stated a maximum outfit limit of 7 metres. I rang the site and explained that my motorhome was 7.5 metres and they told me that would not be a problem. When we arrived we saw a Tag Axle motorhome also on site, well in excess of 8 metres ! The site was fantastic and we have stayed there twice in the last month. It pays to check with the site owners or wardens as many have suggested.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
once the decision has been made to purchase (I think it already has !) we shall be subscribing
It's not April 1 again is it?
I thought it was another site you had to subscribe (ie pay money) to.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back