Free Member
Jan 24, 2016
oldham
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Can anyone help. I want to run a 12v tv in my motorhome. I've seen one in tesco (it's a Cello) and it says it is 12v/240v. How do i connect the tv to the 12v socket when I've only got a lead with a 3 pin plug. I want to keep the 3 pin plug for when I'm on hookup. Most of the time i don't do hookup, hence the need for 12v. I'd appreciate any advice,thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Follow the lead back to the tv. You will find a small plug on the lead.
You now need to source an identical plug, a length of wire suitable for around 10amps and a cig lighter plug...or whatever kind of plug to suit your 12v socket.

Now you need to make up the lead.

Check on the tv where the plug was removed, there may be a diagram showing the pos and neg configuration of the socket.
Pos + is usually to the centre of the plug but check FIRST.
Connect it the wrong way and you'll need to go buy a new tv again...IT WILL DESTROY IT.
The pos wire at the cig plug always goes to the center contact.
The wire will have a trace colour (a stripe) along one strand if you use a twin strand wire....or the two strands could be different colours.
If you use two separate wires ensure the same colour is used for the center contact at each end.

When the lead is complete check it again.
If wired wrong IT WILL DESTROY THE TV.

You can buy a ready made stabilised lead on Ebay etc which makes sure the tv only gets 12v even when on charge but they cost £20 to £30.
Search AMPOROR.

OP
OP
E

emilu

Free Member
Jan 24, 2016
oldham
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Thanks pappajohn. That's a big help, it's given me more idea of what i need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If your plug is a four pin one search on MAPLIN website.
I don't think there are many tv's with a four pin these days...nearly all use a tube type plug.....get the correct size, obviously smaller won't fit but bigger won't make contact.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My Cello came with both a mains lead ( well, one that had a 3 pin plug going to a transformer ) AND a 12v lead

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
On impulse I bought one a few years ago it came with a 12v lead it's a 3mm jack plug with a ciggy lighter plug on the other end. Mine didn't work. I was less than impressed with the manufacturers response when I telephoned them, all I got was take it back to where you bought it from. So I did and had my money back.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
On impulse I bought one a few years ago it came with a 12v lead it's a 3mm jack plug with a ciggy lighter plug on the other end. Mine didn't work. I was less than impressed with the manufacturers response when I telephoned them, all I got was take it back to where you bought it from. So I did and had my money back.

Don't want to be Ar$ey Trophychap but that is what the Law says.
Your complaint (daft as it sounds) is with the retailer.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
@emmitdb yes I do know that but I am not the first person I believe that has posted about bad customer service from Cello. All I was after was a new 12v lead but the supplying dealer said without hesitation we will order you a new TV, a bit annoying really when I had fixed it on the bracketry in the motorhome and had to remove it and take it back to the supplier.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Our Cello when we got it new had the power transformer with it but the 3pin plug removed and replaced with a cigarette type socket, so it is cigarette socket into transformer and then into tv, never had a lead with the 3 pin plug although i did order it for the motorhome anyway from amazon. Cant he just remove the 3 pin plug and replace with a cigarette socket like the one i have or will this not work with his?

I have no idea on this and only commenting on how mine is setup which i did not do but brought as is.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@zac, yes is the quick answer. I have both 230 and 12 volt cables but now only use the 12 volt even when on hook up.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Our Cello when we got it new had the power transformer with it but the 3pin plug removed and replaced with a cigarette type socket, so it is cigarette socket into transformer and then into tv, never had a lead with the 3 pin plug although i did order it for the motorhome anyway from amazon. Cant he just remove the 3 pin plug and replace with a cigarette socket like the one i have or will this not work with his?

I have no idea on this and only commenting on how mine is setup which i did not do but brought as is.
In one word NO
there are 2 different cables that look the same. A 12v stabilised lead with a cigar plug and a box like a transformer, and a 240v lead with 2pin plug and a transformer to drop voltage and convert to DC.
fitting a cigar plug instead of a 3pin mains plug will not work. fitting a 3pin mains plug instead of a cigar plug will not work and will burn out the stabiliser and the tv.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
In one word NO
there are 2 different cables that look the same. A 12v stabilised lead with a cigar plug and a box like a transformer, and a 240v lead with 2pin plug and a transformer to drop voltage and convert to DC.
fitting a cigar plug instead of a 3pin mains plug will not work. fitting a 3pin mains plug instead of a cigar plug will not work and will burn out the stabiliser and the tv.
I will check mine to see what it says, what should it say on the transformer type box?

OP
OP
E

emilu

Free Member
Jan 24, 2016
oldham
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Thanks everybody for all your feedback. Hopefully I'll get both leads with the tv, so I'll be able to use either.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

If it did have a black box in the power lead it cant possibly have worked.
The black box is a step down transformer dropping mains voltage to 12v dc.
It CANNOT possibly work feeding 12v into it.

I suspect you had a 12v voltage stabilizer which is a similar size and shape and keeps the 12v supply at a constant 12v regardless of voltage fluctuations due to charge or solar voltage.....and comes with a cig plug or croc clips but never a 3 pin mains plug.
Put a 3 pin plug on one of those it will last milliseconds AND trip your mains fuse box.

Edit.....
Oops, TB1 beat me to it.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I unfortunately bought a cello tv recently, it only came with a molded 3 pin uk plug in a small step down transformer, no 12v connector.

I ran a stabilised 12v feed in to the cupboard and wired it into a junction box, made up a lead with a plug from eBay to run the TV and wired that and the power connector for the signal booster.

As said above I also only run the TV from the leisure side even while on hookup, Crap tv but only uses 2amps, and we don't use it too often.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
If it did have a black box in the power lead it cant possibly have worked.
The black box is a step down transformer dropping mains voltage to 12v dc.
It CANNOT possibly work feeding 12v into it.

I suspect you had a 12v voltage stabilizer which is a similar size and shape and keeps the 12v supply at a constant 12v regardless of voltage fluctuations due to charge or solar voltage.....and comes with a cig plug or croc clips but never a 3 pin mains plug.
Put a 3 pin plug on one of those it will last milliseconds AND trip your mains fuse box.

Edit.....
Oops, TB1 beat me to it.

I never said i had a 3 pin plug, i stated i only ever had a cigarette style socket into a transformer of some kind. I have no idea about these things but later i will see what the box says and post back. Probably explain why it works

Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If buying a Cello you are better off spending a bit more and getting the Traveller version. There are a couple of threads on here about Cello TV's everyone seems to complain about the standard ones but those of us with the traveller version rate them highly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back