Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
3 days into our first big outing...in France and a chausson smashed Into us, wing mirror bashed , mirror cracked, and arms askew. We managed to salvage it for the remaining 3 weeks of the trip, but now need to get it replaced. I hear they are very expensive....any advice on how to get it replaced at a reasonable cost?

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
https://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/
Yes,they are expensive-you could get one here,and then fit it yourself or have it fitted locally.
In 8yrs I've had to replace 2,first one I went to Main dealer,£450-second one I went to local garage,£350,but it wasn't an exact match.
Sorry,but wing mirrors are an expendable item:)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sue, you have an Autotrail Chieftain .. So on a Ducato base
I recently had to replace one of my mirrors.. Cost was about £125 from fleabay and it took less than 30 minutes to replace it myself.. Very easy job
You can get either a full electric one or a non electric one ( as I did ) and just swap the bits over.. All the innards just clip in and out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you have most of it left you can get self adeasive mirrors that stick to the old one

Reactions: Sue

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And they are bloody good to buy from too Chaser..
But in this case, as mentioned by the OP, the whole assembly is mangled ! :(

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Our Hymer Mirror is heater and auto adjusts. I ordered one after the mechanism was smashed by someone trying to put them in, to get into a tight workshop. Rather than pull the arm in they smashed the auto adjust by twisting the head. I got a shock when I was presented with the mirror and bill from Brownhills, £750 months later.

Last month someone smashed the other side while parked by the roadside. Managed to glue the case together and fit the spare glass I carried. However the electric adjustment does not work again.

Last edited:

Deleted User
We had on trashed by a lorry in Scotland. Rapido aclass. Bill was over £1200. One of those coach type mirrors.

I knocked the nearside mirror off my Rapido in France this year having caught it in a peage pay booth. Fortunately I managed to refix it and repair the small amount of damage to the van. At £1200 I am very glad I did'nt have to buy a new one. Am extra carefull now if the wife has to get out to pay so be it!

spongy

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If it's one that is the same as the one in the first M/H you see on that video, and putting 2 and 2 together and getting 4, you being in Foreign, was it the Passenger side?
I've got a spare, you can have it for £10 the same I paid a scrapey+postage, or if you want to pick it up yourself?

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
If it's one that is the same as the one in the first M/H you see on that video, and putting 2 and 2 together and getting 4, you being in Foreign, was it the Passenger side?
I've got a spare, you can have it for £10 the same I paid a scrapey+postage, or if you want to pick it up yourself?
Thanks that sounds great, it is passenger side,
I will send you a message.....

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I am thinking of setting up a mirror sales shop in France......should make a fortune!!!!!!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A quick sketch, not only the mirror glasses but the crank (non adjustable) of the arms relative to drivers seat
CA_05141415354612-X2.jpg

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Sue, you have an Autotrail Chieftain .. So on a Ducato base
I recently had to replace one of my mirrors.. Cost was about £125 from fleabay and it took less than 30 minutes to replace it myself.. Very easy job
You can get either a full electric one or a non electric one ( as I did ) and just swap the bits over.. All the innards just clip in and out

Ready to replace the mirror now...when you,say it was easy, could you,describe how you did it?.

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Sue. This is a write up by Seldo on Fiat Forum..

Since I have spent hours trying to find a definitive "how to" on the subject, and this is the most common thread that pops up when I was searching "fit ducato mirror" here's my hard-won instructions.
1. Remove the speaker cover by gently prising-out the the 5 or 6 plastic lugs which are just direct push-in, pull-out towards you, then un-screwing the 3 Phillips screws that retain the speaker. Best to un-clip the speaker wiring at this point, (it is fool-proof) and put the speaker aside, so that you don't drop it later when re-assembling....I did...
2. Remove the interior grey plastic trim around the front quarter-light window by gently prising-out the leading lower vertical edge with a flat spatular or knife. There are 2 pin-type plastic lugs at the bottom of the leading vertical edge, and then there are another 2 spade-type slip-on retainers that must released by prising towards you, and the trailing edge has another 3 of these spade-type retainers that need to be released by pulling forward, not by by pulling towards you, other-wise they will break-off! Experience!!
3. Remove the electric mirror switch panel, by gently prising the middle of the trailing edge of the panel, dig deep ( there is a single plastic spring-clip holding it in the centre, and the plastic grey surrounding trim is surprisingly soft, and bruises easily, so use a paper or card-board buffer to lever against), and then you will will find there are 2 plastic junction sockets just below. Unplug these.
4. Using a Torx driver, (# 20?, can't remember) undo the 2 screws at the very leading edge of the door, and then also the the 2 Torx screws that were behind the grey plastic trim, so a total of 4. If you are doing this with the door open, the mirror will remain without falling, but as soon as you close the door it will fall and probably scratch the door paint, until the the wiring stops its fall....
5. You will find that the serpentine path of the wiring will prevent it pulling through, so best to feed the wiring out manually before you try to remove the mirror.
6. Replacing is the reverse of this process, but also, in my case, the replacement mirror from the Wingmirrorman, had only a single wiring loom, as distinct from the 2 looms on the original, and whilst all important functions remain intact, ( electric mirrors, trafficators) and work, maybe there is a mirror-heating function that won't...But who gives a whatname....
So, I hope that helps - it would have saved me a lot of time...and damage...

Mike

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Ready to replace the mirror now...when you,say it was easy, could you,describe how you did it?.
Take out the inside quaterlight moulding ( be careful as it has to be lifted up or down I cant rember which) you may break the little plastic holders inside when doing this so a quick fix is double sided tape.
Take off the door speaker cover (lever gently with a screwdriver) and undo the speaker itself (screws). Now you have access to the bit you need next which is to pop off the window open/close button from UNDERNEATH using the open speaker area with a screwdriver. Now you can get to the mirror electric termials which you need to undo. Next undo the torx bolts holding the mirror on, now the mirror has an anti fall off lug, so you must lift it off upwards and outwards. Reverse to reassemble but please replace the torx bolts with the revised bolts available from a Pugeot or FIAT dealer, because the originals are crap & will deform very easily.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

Since I have spent hours trying to find a definitive "how to" on the subject, and this is the most common thread that pops up when I was searching "fit ducato mirror" here's my hard-won instructions.
1. Remove the speaker cover by gently prising-out the the 5 or 6 plastic lugs which are just direct push-in, pull-out towards you, then un-screwing the 3 Phillips screws that retain the speaker. Best to un-clip the speaker wiring at this point, (it is fool-proof) and put the speaker aside, so that you don't drop it later when re-assembling....I did...
2. Remove the interior grey plastic trim around the front quarter-light window by gently prising-out the leading lower vertical edge with a flat spatular or knife. There are 2 pin-type plastic lugs at the bottom of the leading vertical edge, and then there are another 2 spade-type slip-on retainers that must released by prising towards you, and the trailing edge has another 3 of these spade-type retainers that need to be released by pulling forward, not by by pulling towards you, other-wise they will break-off! Experience!!
3. Remove the electric mirror switch panel, by gently prising the middle of the trailing edge of the panel, dig deep ( there is a single plastic spring-clip holding it in the centre, and the plastic grey surrounding trim is surprisingly soft, and bruises easily, so use a paper or card-board buffer to lever against), and then you will will find there are 2 plastic junction sockets just below. Unplug these.
4. Using a Torx driver, (# 20?, can't remember) undo the 2 screws at the very leading edge of the door, and then also the the 2 Torx screws that were behind the grey plastic trim, so a total of 4. If you are doing this with the door open, the mirror will remain without falling, but as soon as you close the door it will fall and probably scratch the door paint, until the the wiring stops its fall....
5. You will find that the serpentine path of the wiring will prevent it pulling through, so best to feed the wiring out manually before you try to remove the mirror.
6. Replacing is the reverse of this process, but also, in my case, the replacement mirror from the Wingmirrorman, had only a single wiring loom, as distinct from the 2 looms on the original, and whilst all important functions remain intact, ( electric mirrors, trafficators) and work, maybe there is a mirror-heating function that won't...But who gives a whatname....

Mike
4. Is not correct! there is the retaining lug on the mirror stalk which will prevent the mirror falling off, you have to carefully lift it upwards and outwards.

5. Replace the soft torx screws, with the new replacement bolts.

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I recently replaced my n/s mirror and the instructions (and amedments) above are spot on.
Ours was from wingmirrorshop.co.uk.
No complaints at all.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
BTW judging by the softness of the material of the torx screws, I am guessing these are shear type screws. so should only be replaced with the approved type.......unless you want your door to buckle in the event of a major smash!!!!

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best

Mike
Thank you so much!!

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Take out the inside quaterlight moulding ( be careful as it has to be lifted up or down I cant rember which) you may break the little plastic holders inside when doing this so a quick fix is double sided tape.
Take off the door speaker cover (lever gently with a screwdriver) and undo the speaker itself (screws). Now you have access to the bit you need next which is to pop off the window open/close button from UNDERNEATH using the open speaker area with a screwdriver. Now you can get to the mirror electric termials which you need to undo. Next undo the torx bolts holding the mirror on, now the mirror has an anti fall off lug, so you must lift it off upwards and outwards. Reverse to reassemble but please replace the torx bolts with the revised bolts available from a Pugeot or FIAT dealer, because the originals are crap & will deform very easily.
Thank you....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back