Grey water tank got me puzzled (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hi folks. I'm out on site at the moment and sitting outside I have noticed the dripping of water and after looking underneath it seems to be coming from my grey water tank.

If I release the tap for the tank nothing comes out and when I tap the tank it seems to have a bit of water in it but doesn't seem full. The thing is there is a short bit of pipe coming out of the top of it which in un-tapped at the end and this is where the water is coming from, I presume it's an overflow? I've been washing the dishes, showering etc oblivious of the water going straight out on to the pitch!

Now if the water is coming out of this pipe situated at the top of the tank then surely the tank must be full even though it sounds empty? Can't seem to work this one out, am I missing something obvious?

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Could there be something, eg bit of food, blocking the usual main exit, so any water then diverts to overflow?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I agree, sounds like a blockage of the drain pipe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Could there be something, eg bit of food, blocking the usual main exit, so any water then diverts to overflow?

Quite possibly. I think the tank must be full even though it sounds empty so the main exit must be blocked. I will try fixing this and get back to you! (y)

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
OK, quick update: The tank sounds empty and hollow but is actually full. The very end of the main exit was blocked. A quick jimmy around with a screwdriver released some brown gunk and it seems to be free-flowing now :D

It's nice and warm here at the moment so with a bit of luck the pitch should be good as new when I set off tomorrow! Just can't use any on-board water until I get the tank emptied properly.

Which I suppose leads me to the next question, do most sites have a drain which you drive over and line up your grey exit tap with and release it that way or should I really have a bit of hose pipe which I could connect it to and run to the drain?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
On my Elddis which had a tiny grey tank outflow, I used to have to regularly backwash the pipe and tank by attaching a hosepipe to the outlet and pump water into it. The resulting flow out cleared any debris in the way, just be careful not to fill up the tank!!!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Which I suppose leads me to the next question, do most sites have a drain which you drive over and line up your grey exit tap with and release it that way or should I really have a bit of hose pipe which I could connect it to and run to the drain?

yes and yes

some of the target areas are quite small so a short length of hose reduces the messing around with moving the MH to right position and reduces potential over spill (y)

another option is to fill a bucket and chuck in hedge or down drain, get rid of some that way

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Glad you are nearly sorted. Last site we were on in Cirencester had no MH grey waste point but the pitch was fully serviced so we just stuck an old washing up bowl underneath, it saved a lot of messing about.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Glad you are nearly sorted. Last site we were on in Cirencester had no MH grey waste point but the pitch was fully serviced so we just stuck an old washing up bowl underneath, it saved a lot of messing about.

That's a good example where a longer length of hose comes in very handy, we have about 4m in total 1x3m and 1x1m that can join together, so if on a serviced pitch we can leave hose connected and valve open (y)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I agree with the bucket idea above. We use an old 10 Litre paint bucket that has been 'decorated' by my wife as a fire bucket.

Use it for grey water, beer cooler, smalls washer etc. etc.

Very handy if you are on THS's where they ask you to dispose of grey water in hedges and invaluable if you are pitched up for a few days. Wastehogs seem to be coming more popular amongst MH's.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Nah you don't store your beer in the grey waste.

It would be too warm!!

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
I agree with the bucket idea above. We use an old 10 Litre paint bucket that ....

Use it for grey water, beer cooler, smalls washer etc. etc.

:Eeek: Don't think I fancy washing smalls (well in my case, larges) in the grey waste bucket, even though we wipe plates with kitchen towel first, you're bound to get some grease etc. deposit. Wouldn't be concerned about the beer cans though. :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back