Free Member
Mar 20, 2016
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Autotrail Scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, we are off round Europe throughout the summer school holiday (first trip ever!). We are travelling from Calais to Venice - Venice to Sorrento - Sorrento to Rome - and then on round the coast to Spain. We have done lots of research online and have loads of notes but would like a book (me & hubby are a bit old) which lists aires in all countries. This will help when we haven't got wifi. Any recommendations? I have looked at Alan Rogers and the Vicarious books but don't want to buys loads of volumes! Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
B

Bowerhill

Free Member
Mar 20, 2016
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Autotrail Scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you - I'll have a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for this info Mickymouse will look to invest in one my self as planning to do a lot of touring next year in Europe when we have both retired and Gill prefers to have a book or real map and not having to rely on my gadgets and gizmos as she calls them

Thanks again

David & Gill :)

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
We have always used this one
Amazon product ASIN 2358390461Although it is in French it is pretty easy to understand, it is biased towards Aires in France but has listing for other countries including Italy.

We also use this one and it costs a lot less bought from most French supermarkets!

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We also use this one and it costs a lot less bought from most French supermarkets!
Only trouble is that the French supermarkets /newsagents might not have any stock left. As well as being cheaper it is also more comprehensive than any English publication.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well there's no mention on FJMike's post of what book he's on about! - and no clickable links I can detect with my mouse ......

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's one of those Amazon links, it is possible if you are using an ad blocker it may not show. I can see it.

Screenshot_20160708-173953-800x600.png

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It's one of those Amazon links, it is possible if you are using an ad blocker it may not show. I can see it.

View attachment 114257
But that' costs more than 2 years subscription to the BIGGEST and most up to date list of Aires and Campsites in EUROPE
And it works when theses no wifi
And it knows where you are
And if gives you thousands of reviews of the best and safest places to stay locally

You know what you really meant to recommend, based on your extensive travels

Go on @DBK Say it !!!!!
(Charlie wants you to)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
But that' costs more than 2 years subscription to the BIGGEST and most up to date list of Aires and Campsites in EUROPE
And it works when theses no wifi
And it knows where you are
And if gives you thousands of reviews of the best and safest places to stay locally

You know what you really meant to recommend, based on your extensive travels

Go on @DBK Say it !!!!!
(Charlie wants you to)
But the Bowerhill asked about books, apps are not books

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
But the Bowerhill asked about books, apps are not books
Once they've arrived at a few 'dead' Aires, or those filled with 'travelling folk' they may realise that there is a better way to find overnight stops
Who uses the phone book to find a phone number nowadays?
Why use books to find an Aire?

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Why come over all superior, I use apps, sat navigation and books but realise that some folk are happier with one method and if that is books then this up to them. Although campercontact is a good app it's not without faults, so each to their own

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
  • Why come over all superior, I use apps, sat navigation and books but realise that some folk are happier with one method and if that is books then this up to them. Although campercontact is a good app it's not without faults, so each to their own

Sorry but I don't think it's being 'superior' to try and help other Funsters to try and find a safer and more effective way to find Aires across Europe.

Books don't contain the 'real' experiences from recent users that online directories do

OP
OP
B

Bowerhill

Free Member
Mar 20, 2016
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Autotrail Scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for all the suggestions. I have bought one of the recommended books but, as we are well travelled bikers trough Europe, we will be using the book as a back up - just in case!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
All aires books are at least 1 year out of date.

Ive stopped buying vicarious because they are so out of date. Their Morocco book is still from 2009.

If you are not happy with web or apps then the most accessible for newer books is the first big french supermarket or Narbonne Accessoire shop. They even have books for ' free aires next to the sea' - only the french!!

Bordatlas is also pretty good.

Otherwise, camper contact and campingcar-infos.com

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sorry forgot to add - IMHO the biggest advantage of the web/apps are the comments and reviews where for example:
' the council have decided to remodel the area and have temporarily closed the aire'

or ' this aire has been taken over by the gens de passage' (gypsies)

or ' We all got broken into to'

For balance

' this aire has got the most stunning view'

' the number nine bus takes you staright into the historic town'

Forearmed is forewarned
Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread