LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Heard there is a large car park in Whitby which campers stay over night in, can anyone give us directions as not been to this part of UK for quite a few years, also heard you can park on sea front in the day time.

thanks
val

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
wild caming in Whitby , parking on the mainpay & display car park near the supermaket and railway station is ok for large motorhomes but i don`t think you can overnight there parking notices threaten a penalty for doing so.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi val.

you want the carpark off royal crescent.

this is the one most motorhomers overnight on.

do you have satnav ?

if so the coordinates are N 54. 489600 W -0.820700.

if you let me know which direction you will be entering whity i can give you road directions right to the entrance.

its a pay and display and its not officially an overnight (sleeping) park but no-one bothers as long as you have paid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there is an old church up some steps if you want to make a camp somewhere.
havent been there since a child .

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Whitby

If you take the A171 from Whitby over the moors there is a National Parks car park on your left about 5 miles out of Whitby. Or the A174 along the coast there is a large grass area just before Sandsend on your right, I have seen vans in both there spots.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there is an old church up some steps if you want to make a camp somewhere.
havent been there since a child .

Yep !

The 'old church' is still there Alan...at the top of the '199 steps'......its more famously known as "Whitby Abbey"

The inspiration for Bram Stokers "Dracula" and also the onetime home of the saxon poet Caedmon.

originally built in 657AD by the saxon king, Oswy, and fell to the vikings in 867AD then abandoned.
It was then re-founded in 1078AD under the orders of the Norman, William de Percy, only to be destroyed by Henry VIII in 1540AD.

little bit of history for you there.::bigsmile:

unfortunatly, up there, there is only a pay and display carpark which is patrolled day and night.

always said a lot more residents would have a sea view if they knocked 'the old church' down.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you take the A171 from Whitby over the moors there is a National Parks car park on your left about 5 miles out of Whitby. Or the A174 along the coast there is a large grass area just before Sandsend on your right, I have seen vans in both there spots.

dont mean to nitpick Vera.

its actually 11.5miles from whitby just before Scaling Dam.

very good daily snack van on site.

get the gutbuster hot sandwich.....the only thing it doesnt include is Rennies.

Another good wildspot but very exposed if the winds coming off the sea.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jhn ,i must have counted them many times i was waiting for you to make a comment. remember i was born in donny.

shardav

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
holbeach
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
1 1/2 years
go to bluebank you can park there i always go there when im up that way come out of whityby heading towards pickering and its about 2 miles outside whitby comes up on the left hand side you wont miss it as there will be motorhomes already parked there

shardav

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
holbeach
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
1 1/2 years
and for free parking all day head for westcliffe but get there early

shardav

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
holbeach
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
1 1/2 years
when i was there august bank holiday i parked there from 7 in the morning to 8 at night and didnt get bothered and i always check the signs and there was no disc zones

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Last time we parked on West Cliff it was still pay & display near to the whalebones but free further out. The free bit is the first to be filled of course :Smile: Never remember it being a disc zone.

Graham

OP
OP
weekenders

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
hi val.

you want the carpark off royal crescent.

this is the one most motorhomers overnight on.

do you have satnav ?

if so the coordinates are N 54. 489600 W -0.820700.

if you let me know which direction you will be entering whity i can give you road directions right to the entrance.

its a pay and display and its not officially an overnight (sleeping) park but no-one bothers as long as you have paid.

Thanks
We will be heading north from Nottingham, think we will be on the A169 to Whitby.
yes we have sat nav, thanks

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
for any one with a panel van you can overnight in car-park in sandsend you enter under the out arch ...yes you can get your van in...have to pay day parking from 9am .the best place to sea fish over the wall then if not catching just jump in bed .cafe in morning if you want a bacon butte .be there over the winter so leave me some space please :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
for any one with a panel van you can overnight in car-park in sandsend you enter under the out arch ...yes you can get your van in...have to pay day parking from 9am .the best place to sea fish over the wall then if not catching just jump in bed .cafe in morning if you want a bacon butte .be there over the winter so leave me some space please :thumb:

I've often looked at that exit and thought.......Mmm i wonder?

seen PVCs in there but not coachbuilts.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Blue Bank is a great place to park for the day i do not know about the night?
Link Removed Link Removed

dont know if these pics will work this is view from carpark towards whitby

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks
We will be heading north from Nottingham, think we will be on the A169 to Whitby.
yes we have sat nav, thanks

heres the directions anyway.

at the end of the A169 (A169/A171 roundabout) turn right.

over the next roundabout.

at the lights...turn left.

next r/about turn left up the hill.

next r/about turn second left.

then first right. (crescent avenue)

follow to the end then turn left.

the carpark is on your left.

if it looks full just keep going onto the grassed area...its big !

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We stayed just off the A171 going towards Fylingthorpe on Google Earth its maked as Park Gate its all of 0.6 of a mile from the A171 and the views are stunning..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We stayed just off the A171 going towards Fylingthorpe on Google Earth its maked as Park Gate its all of 0.6 of a mile from the A171 and the views are stunning..

know it well.:thumb:

signed for Robin hoods bay and Fylingthorpe.

Last edited:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
whitby parking

we parked on the main road just up from the fish bones free parking we were sat in our van about 1pm a traffic warden comes and puts tickets on advising we had broke a traffic law by sleeping there overnight we hadnt though we just got there early morning so we could get parked with a view he said he had to put them on all the motorhomes i noticed one parked opposite didnt have one on on further inspection the tax disc was whitby he was a local

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Lovely area but too many tourists for us.

Pity. B+++y traffic warden jobsworths....I guess he could have been a bit more Sympathetic and asked you to move on...But this is 21st century Britain.:Sad:

There's a campsite overlooking Robin Hood Bay.

he said he had to put them on all the motorhomes i noticed one parked opposite didnt have one on on further inspection the tax disc was whitby he was a local
Probably the Traffic Warden's motorhome....

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Whitby

dont mean to nitpick Vera.

its actually 11.5miles from whitby just before Scaling Dam.

very good daily snack van on site.

get the gutbuster hot sandwich.....the only thing it doesnt include is Rennies.

Another good wildspot but very exposed if the winds coming off the sea.

This is not the Car park I meant there is another Car park on the left much smaller than the Scaling dam one about 5 Miles out of Whitby on the left

shardav

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
holbeach
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
1 1/2 years
message to scran so what did you do with the ticket i know what i would have done with it id stick up his ar*e and say prove i parked here all night. the problem is some people do park there all night and in my opinion it spoils it for those who do take notice of the signs that say no overnight parking if i remember rightly the signs say no sleeping in vehicles from 11pm till 6 or 7 am

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
whitby

yes Steve told him more or less that lol we werent bothered had our ticket from where we had parked all the previous night so he had no leg to stand on :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This is not the Car park I meant there is another Car park on the left much smaller than the Scaling dam one about 5 Miles out of Whitby on the left

Ooops sorry,

forgot about that one.
never been in but i seem to remember its not exactly level.

OP
OP
weekenders

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
heres the directions anyway.

at the end of the A169 (A169/A171 roundabout) turn right.

over the next roundabout.

at the lights...turn left.

next r/about turn left up the hill.

next r/about turn second left.

then first right. (crescent avenue)

follow to the end then turn left.

the carpark is on your left.

if it looks full just keep going onto the grassed area...its big !

Thanks Pappajohn,
Thing we got the wrong car park,
We found a carpark opposite the pavillion, arrived at 9.30pm friday night (9th), paid £5 for 24 hours, ticket was dated 12th october?? checked with warden and he said if that's the date you will be OK, so chepa weekend.
Did find the carpark you mentioned, was it the one just off the crescent on the left?? Though it was the car park opposite the leisure centre as this was full of campers, but it was a camping and caravan meet (had all their red buckets out!!)
Thanks anyway, spotted some more on the way

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
About 3 weeks ago we stopped on the large pay and display car park at the rear of the Co-op, £6 for 24hours parking attendant called every morning and said nothing about us stopping over night, there were also a Spanish family a Dutch family and a couple of other vans. it also said £100 fine for sleeping and cooking in vehicles but no one bothered us. WE ALSO SPENT QUITE A FEW POUNDS IN LOCAL BUSINESSES.

John.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
About 3 weeks ago we stopped on the large pay and display car park at the rear of the Co-op, £6 for 24hours parking attendant called every morning and said nothing about us stopping over night, there were also a Spanish family a Dutch family and a couple of other vans. it also said £100 fine for sleeping and cooking in vehicles but no one bothered us. WE ALSO SPENT QUITE A FEW POUNDS IN LOCAL BUSINESSES.

John.

wheres the co-op john...cant place it.:Doh:

or is that the one near the railstation and water front ?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back