Peugeot euro 6 (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
2.0Ltr Euro 6 Adblue Tag axle at 5500kg Sounds like a marriage made in hell.

Id better hang on to my Euro 3 2.8ltr Tag axle van as it looks like there wont be a reliable replacement.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Just been in to SMC to enquire about a Globecar motorhome. They told me the Fiat euro 6 van would be a 2.3 litre engine if I ordered one

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I really don't understand what you're all moaning about. Adblu is a proven if slightly flawed technology to combat particulate emissions from diesel engines, just like DPFs are. Here's a question for you all: how many motorhomes fitted with DPFs have had a problem with them? Any members on here had a direct DPF issue that cost a fortune to fix?

Modern vehicles are still far more reliable than they used to be. Last month I took my racecar to be mapped on a rolling road and I did forewarn the owners/operators that the bottom end is stock, untouched and done 125,000 miles. The owner said "it'll be fine, really it will, modern oils have done away with internal wear and tear" and he is bang on the money! In fact he had an old MGB engine on his engine dyno at the time so we compared some facts: MGB 1.8 litre capacity, 8 valves, 5 port head 85BHP standard, tuneable to 100-110BHP, std redline 5500RPM, life expectancy 60,000-80,000 miles. My engine (1995 Mazda 1.8 twin cam) 1.8 litre capacity, 16 valves, 8 port head, 130BHP standard, tuneable to well over 200BHP with a turbo or supercharger, 160BHP naturally aspirated is easily do-able if expensive, std redline 7000 RPM, life expectancy open ended with regular oil changes.

Modern technologies have transformed the internal combustion engine, both petrol and diesel.

Or would you all prefer to go back to the 2.5 litre 85BHP rough as a bear's arse lumps of the 1980s/90s?

D.

Last edited:

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Yes cos lowering emissions in a proven and pragmatic way creates such a chore every 6,000 miles for us busy people.... oh hang on.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Lol when this pile of blupoo is on its 4th owner and getting old things will be different......another layer of complexity ready to go wrong out of warranty. In fact plenty of evidence on the net things can go wrong pretty early on.

Yeah lets save the planet, unfortunately Mr Tatas a car for every Indian family and the conversion of Asia from bicycles to 2 strokes has already frigged the planet.....

Last edited:

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Lol when this pile of blupoo is on its 4th owner and getting old things will be different......another layer of complexity ready to go wrong out of warranty. In fact plenty of evidence on the net things can go wrong pretty early on.

Yeah lets save the planet, unfortunately Mr Tatas a car for every Indian family and the conversion of Asia from bicycles to 2 strokes has already frigged the planet.....
You are aware that current levels of diesel emissions are killing people in London and other busy cities and are happy for that to continue?

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
You are aware that current levels of diesel emissions are killing people in London and other busy cities and are happy for that to continue?
If governments were serious about this a whole infrastructure change is required to provide access to towns/cities. You know like the ones that used to exist into towns cities and factories, called branch lines. Instead as usual Governments have instantly resorted to a tax raising agenda.

The adoption of euro 6 will take years to make a dent in emissions levels and will probably never make any difference as car ownership increases.

Which brings me to another point, there is one simple answer to this and it is to reduce car ownership levels. Instead of sprawling drives with sprawling vehicles for every member of a family plus motorhomes and whatever, 2 vehicles per family unit should do it!

Electric cars use around 10% renewable energy at best when the wind is blowing, when its not it its around 2% (UK). Their low adoption rates around Europe reflect the fact they are also crap.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
But AdBlu specifically addresses poisonous diesel emissions and very effectively so I don't see what the issue is with it? It's a proven technology that works and allows diesels to operate more efficiently - thereby not only addressing killing people now but saving money for me and reducing CO2 - win,win,win. We should be welcoming this technology not mocking it.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
If governments were serious about this a whole infrastructure change is required to provide access to towns/cities. You know like the ones that used to exist into towns cities and factories, called branch lines. Instead as usual Governments have instantly resorted to a tax raising agenda.

Yes branch lines are going to make a real difference

Summary (TfL)

• London residents aged 16+ make 4.6m car driver trips and 1.4m car passenger trips on an average day, of which 3.7m are within London, with the remainder involving travel to and from London. Non-residents make around 1 million car journeys a day to, from or within London.
• Six in ten car trips are made for shopping, leisure and personal business purposes and a fifth for work purposes. A third of car trips are shorter than 2km.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
But AdBlu specifically addresses poisonous diesel emissions and very effectively so I don't see what the issue is with it? It's a proven technology that works and allows diesels to operate more efficiently - thereby not only addressing killing people now but saving money for me and reducing CO2 - win,win,win. We should be welcoming this technology not mocking it.
I'll come back to you on this, but I see adblu is a German originated product ? If its anything like bio diesel in production which the Germans have strenuously pushed it will have catostrophic effects on the environment. Much of East Germany has been turned into a ecological disaster area with a desert monoculture of rape seed cultivation......and thats before we get to the deforestation of the Amazon basin to grow the same......

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
As we should be welcoming wind farms reliant on rare earth magnetic ore coming from the only place available, the most polluting country on the planet, China. Or solar panels made in Bangladesh, another gross polluter, made of carcinogenic silicon compounds that break down within months of exposure to air and cannot be recycled. Or Nissan Leaf and Tesla electric vehicles based on batteries with a 2-3 year lifecycle, containing indescribably dangerous unstable lithium compounds - a substance almost impossible to dispose of safely - and dependent on those same rare earth materials to run their electric motors?

The comparison between the MG engine and the modern engine quoted in this thread demonstrates that better design and precision engineering yield a far more efficient (and safer) product with a far longer life expectancy - not marketing hype. And we can go a lot further if we concentrate on improving the product rather than just trying to clear up the environmental devastation caused by its use

You cannot eliminate pollution altogether and the Germans have shown they're untrustworthy. AdBlu is another cynical marketing ploy to fool the gullible into buying new product "for the sake of the planet and the children"

Last edited:
OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
As we should be welcoming wind farms reliant rare earth magnetic ore coming from the only place available, the most polluting country on the planet, China. Or solar panels made in Bangladesh, another gross polluter, made of toxic carcinogenic silicon compounds that break down within months of exposure to air and cannot be recycled. Or Nissan Leaf and Tesla electric vehicles based on batteries with a 2-3 year lifecycle, containing the indescribably dangerous lithium - a substance almost impossible to dispose of safely - and dependent on those same rare earth materials to run their electric motors?

The comparison between the MG engine and the modern engine quoted in this thread demonstrates that better design and precision engineering yield a far more efficient product with a far longer life expectancy - not marketing hype. You cannot eliminate pollution altogether and the Germans have shown they're untrustworthy. AdBlu is a marketing ploy to fool the gullible.
100% agree, the real green agenda is about moving the pollution from Europe to other poorer countries.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Yes branch lines are going to make a real difference

Summary (TfL)

• London residents aged 16+ make 4.6m car driver trips and 1.4m car passenger trips on an average day, of which 3.7m are within London, with the remainder involving travel to and from London. Non-residents make around 1 million car journeys a day to, from or within London.
• Six in ten car trips are made for shopping, leisure and personal business purposes and a fifth for work purposes. A third of car trips are shorter than 2km.
Plan B then, reduce car ownership.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Its made of pigs piss - you'll just have to eat more bacon butties.
Nice try :doh:

It’s a solution of just under one-third urea in demineralised water. Contrary to popular rumour it is not animal urine, but is manufactured by an industrial process to international standard ISO 22241. Urea – chemical formula CO(NH2)2 – itself was the first organic compound to be synthetically formulated (back in 1828), so AdBlue is not made from urine.

It is also very polluting to surface and groundwater, so appropriate precautions must be taken when storing or dispensing it. Drain interceptors will not prevent it entering watercourses as, unlike oil, it mixes with water. If left puddled on concrete for long periods it may cause problems too, so equipment to absorb spills needs to be readily available at the point of storage.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
100% agree, the real green agenda is about moving the pollution from Europe to other poorer countries.
You got that in one. I have travelled the coast between Mumbai and Calcutta (or whatever the BBC likes to call them today) and seen the hundreds of miles of dead ships having their asbestos piled out in heaps, and the kids playing on them. I have seen the forests of Malaysia burning, and the crops to produce palm oil (for addition to diesel, banned for shipping and agriculture because of the introduction of organic bacteria that renders the diesel useless) replacing them, I have seen vast tracts of wildlife rich countryside devastated to put up wind turbines in Portugal. This is not progress, it is commercially motivated rape.

There is a good reason why adoption of the Euro 6 engine has been so hesitant, and it's not just money. Instead of focusing on refining a good design to make it even better, they are now concentrating on cosmetic post contaminant filtration to appease the "green at any price" brigade. And in my view, that is a cosmetic approach that hides the real problem.

The best way to get rid of a nasty smell in a bathroom is to open the window or take your dump elsewhere, not douse the bathroom in aerosol perfume.

Shifting pollution from one place to another does not cure us of the problem, it merely delays anyone developing an enduring solution.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
You got that in one. I have travelled the coast between Mumbai and Calcutta (or whatever the BBC likes to call them today) and seen the hundreds of miles of dead ships having their asbestos piled out in heaps, and the kids playing on them. I have seen the forests of Malaysia burning, and the crops to produce palm oil (for addition to diesel, banned for shipping and agriculture because of the introduction of organic bacteria that renders the diesel useless) replacing them, I have seen vast tracts of wildlife rich countryside devastated to put up wind turbines in Portugal. This is not progress, it is commercially motivated rape.

There is a good reason why adoption of the Euro 6 engine has been so hesitant, and it's not just money. Instead of focusing on refining a good design to make it even better, they are now concentrating on cosmetic post contaminant filtration to appease the "green at any price" brigade. And in my view, that is a cosmetic approach that hides the real problem.

The best way to get rid of a nasty smell in a bathroom is to open the window or take your dump elsewhere, not douse the bathroom in aerosol perfume.

Shifting pollution from one place to another does not cure us of the problem, it merely delays anyone developing an enduring solution.
My feelings are the epicentre of this plot is the powerbase in what was the old west Germany. Mainly because eastern Germany has paid a heavy price for unification, becoming a sea of wind turbines and rape seed and solar panels, powering the Germans internal green economy. That view was confirmed on my recent visit there, Mrs CC came to the conclusion a unified Germany is like the Berlin public transport system, 'joined but not integrated'. Yes the Germans external green economy is even harsher on those countries wildlife and inhabitants.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Sorry getting heavy here nothing to do with euro 6, but The only way to cut pollution, is to cut the population.
1.8 people die every second in the world but 4 people are born every second.
Not very good for the planet

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No change in the politics. A while back, just before catalytic converters were made mandatory, Honda demonstrated their 'lean burn' technology. The demonstration was very effective in that it showed fewer pollutants leaving the car exhaust that were being drawn into the intake. It was ignored and cats became the norm despite, in addition to the environmental cost of manufacturing them, cars so fitted had to consume more fuel to operate them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back