Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
atm when i turn on my lights ( about 12 of them ) according to the control panel they are drawing 10 amps , so its time they went and i replaced them with LED's
Most of the current ones are cone shaped 10W Halogens pictured below
20160707_091130_resized.jpg 20160707_091147_resized.jpg
From reading different LED threads here i see the best best to get them from is http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/
so i have been looking there and think i have found the right replacement bulb type , but as this is my 1st time buying leds im not sure how much difference there is in light between the two bulb types and also then if i should go for warm white or cool white , to begin with i think ill just order 2 bulbs 1 X warm white and 1 X cool white.
If im happy with the level of light currently in the MH should i replace my existing 10w halogen for
http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/10led-mr16.html
as it suggests this is the replacement for a 10W bulb BUT if i think that the level of light currently in the MH is NOT enough then should i get http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/15led-mr16.html
Does that sound about right ?
Also i take it these will work fine in my MH without having to change anything else.

P.S if 12 of the 10W bulbs were using about 10 Amps as per the control panel , how many amps will 12 if the leds use if each one says it uses 1.6W would that be like 2 amps ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you have pretty much covered the question and answer in your OP (y)

brightness is personal choice

we have warm in lounge and bedroom then cool in kitchen and bathroom

cant do sums on AMPs but it is pretty much basic maths so you are more or less right

get buying :)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Think we ended up with MR11 warm light, SWMBO persuaded me not to go with the brightest option, glad she did now too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
another tip I had to find out, some of the pins can be quite long, snip off the ends to get a good fit if needed (y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Another step you can take is to replace the fluorescent lights with LED strips, much nicer and so much less power consumption. I changed all of ours using a 5m roll of LED's off Ebay.

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
Delivery from ATEN is only free above £25 so factor that in. We used the warm white in the living areas which gave the same or slightly more light and the cool white in the bathroom which are way brighter than the original 10W halogens and are a very white light rather than a yellow light.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Dont be put off buying cheaper LEDs off ebay as the price difference is significant for pretty much the same item. I have fitted the ebay ones to several vans over the years and all bar 2 are still working perfectly. if they are going to fail they normally do within a few weeks
even the really expensive ones from the likes of Atten do on occasion fail even though they are rated for thousands of hours. these LEDs are all made in Asia and of similar quality
the only difference is some, not all expensive lamp replacement LEds include a voltage stabiliser circuit that means they will work between 10v and 30v. however the "12v" circuit in the motorhome will actually never usually go above 13.8v when the battery is charging. so well within tolerance of the cheaper, non stabilised LEDS

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
My experience with LED replacement wasn't all positive - see my thread here for a discussion of the ridiculous quantities of RF interference that [some] LED bulbs can cause - in my case they stopped the TV working. I did get some test bulbs from Aten that were OK - but (as I discuss there) some were rather large and I had problems getting the lamp surround to fit over them.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Dont be put off buying cheaper LEDs off ebay as the price difference is significant for pretty much the same item. I have fitted the ebay ones to several vans over the years and all bar 2 are still working perfectly. if they are going to fail they normally do within a few weeks
even the really expensive ones from the likes of Atten do on occasion fail even though they are rated for thousands of hours. these LEDs are all made in Asia and of similar quality
the only difference is some, not all expensive lamp replacement LEds include a voltage stabiliser circuit that means they will work between 10v and 30v. however the "12v" circuit in the motorhome will actually never usually go above 13.8v when the battery is charging. so well within tolerance of the cheaper, non stabilised LEDS
What is that about the cheaper lights not working if the wrong polarity , does that mean you just have to take them out and turn them around the other way ? and if so and they are in the wrong polarity will they damage anything in the MH ?
Also will the cheaper ones be ok in a system with an inverter and solar panels ?

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
My experience with LED replacement wasn't all positive - see my thread here for a discussion of the ridiculous quantities of RF interference that [some] LED bulbs can cause - in my case they stopped the TV working. I did get some test bulbs from Aten that were OK - but (as I discuss there) some were rather large and I had problems getting the lamp surround to fit over them.
Just read that and defo gonna get the bulbs from ATEN , cba with all that interference hassle for the sake of probably £20.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I changes 26 bulbs to LEDs last year for £85. Purchased from memory was ATEN.

When i say i changed them i mean the wife and @chippy63 did them while i had a beer :D

No issues at all

Rob

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@ROB1CHELSEA1 yes i know what you mean i most of mine were the same bulbs , i have now discovered 6 different types of bulbs in the MH , 2 types have already been changed to leds.
Atm i need 13 bulbs , 4 different types. lol
Also does anyone else know about my awning light , atm it has 1 bulb in it. the same as used for a car indicator , i think it says 12V P21W , would i be better changing it for a led board :

http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/21led-b15-awning.html

or one of these :

http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/24led-b15.html

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I think you have it covered
Warm everywhere at 3w max
cool over kitchen work area and bathroom suited us best

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I think you have it covered
Warm everywhere at 3w max
cool over kitchen work area and bathroom suited us best

Still to address what light from the above two to get for the awning.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Still to address what light from the above two to get for the awning.
Which ever tucks in best to your particular fitting
I used the square pad, clipped the wires and hard wired mine in Use clear silicon to keep it in the correct position

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Which ever tucks in best to your particular fitting
I used the square pad, clipped the wires and hard wired mine in Use clear silicon to keep it in the correct position
I went ahead and ordered the 21 LED square one for the awning light.
http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/21led-wired.html
along with a few other bulbs to see the difference between the warm and cool :)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
What is that about the cheaper lights not working if the wrong polarity , does that mean you just have to take them out and turn them around the other way ? and if so and they are in the wrong polarity will they damage anything in the MH ?
Also will the cheaper ones be ok in a system with an inverter and solar panels ?

If the led wont work plugged in one way just take it out reverse the plug and stick it in it should work with no problems. No it should not damage anything. I have no problems with my LEDs even with 200 watts of solar, and living in the van for 6 months. All mine are from Ebay and apart from some MR11 size lamps having MR16 contacts they work well, though they can be optimistic on output

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
ok a few LEDS arrived in the post this morning and thanks all for the input , warm white everywhere except bathroom , above cooker & awning light ( cool white for them area's )
anyway i need some help , as better safe than sorry and dont want to blow a fuse then spend ages trying to find the right fuse :) , but my replacement led strip to replace the Tube light is different.
the led strip has two wires, where as the wires going to my old tube had two wires at each end ( so 4 wires ) , so what way do i wire the new LED strip for here ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
be very careful with the fluorescent fitting, I only learnt my knowledge from here, but the transformer in a fluorescent generates very high voltage, you need to totally disconnect it, I actually left my light unit fitted and stuck the LED strip inside the reflector where the bulb had been, then connected the LED strip directly to the + and - feed after taking it out of the fluorescent input

I hope that makes sense (y)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
be very careful with the fluorescent fitting, I only learnt my knowledge from here, but the transformer in a fluorescent generates very high voltage, you need to totally disconnect it, I actually left my light unit fitted and stuck the LED strip inside the reflector where the bulb had been, then connected the LED strip directly to the + and - feed after taking it out of the fluorescent input

I hope that makes sense (y)
@DavidG58 , ok so unscrew the light fitting to expose the "input" wires , then connect the LED directly to that + & - ,thus bypassing the flouresent transformer , isnt that what you mean ?

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@DavidG58 all done , easy as pie , good job I asked here what wires :)
Thanks

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Finally got the rest of my LED's today and have replaced all my lights to LED's now , and before with all the lights running it used 10 Amps , now with the LED's and them all on it uses 2 Amps , and that's a lot of lights turned on :)

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Finally got the rest of my LED's today and have replaced all my lights to LED's now , and before with all the lights running it used 10 Amps , now with the LED's and them all on it uses 2 Amps , and that's a lot of lights turned on :)
excellent!
but as a point of order, :rolleyes: i think mine run on 10% of the previous consumption, so you need get down to 1amp;)

well done(y)

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
We're after LEDs like this (see photo) and we carnt seem to find them anywhere other than these on eBay that are 10 watt and ours need to be 1watt.
Have spoken to Atenlighting and they have none.
Anyone replaced some like this ?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    566.5 KB · Views: 86
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We're after LEDs like this (see photo) and we carnt seem to find them anywhere other than these on eBay that are 10 watt and ours need to be 1watt.
Have spoken to Atenlighting and they have none.
Anyone replaced some like this ?

image-png.115572

I presume it has 2 pins sticking out of the back, technically any LED bulb that fits will do the same job

I am surprised you have found a 10W LED bub this size, they only tend to come in large domestic sized bulbs, it would be over 100W equivalent

Can you post a photo of the whole light fitting?

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
image-png.115572

I presume it has 2 pins sticking out of the back, technically any LED bulb that fits will do the same job

I am surprised you have found a 10W LED bub this size, they only tend to come in large domestic sized bulbs, it would be over 100W equivalent

Can you post a photo of the whole light fitting?
I agree
10w is pushing on.
Try looking for the type of fitting not the style of the bulb
As David says ... What's it like at the back

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Sorry for the delay in replying !
Here's the photos of the lamp and the back and front of the bulb.
Hoping someone has a solution to a replacement led bulb.
As you can see it's only a small lamp but we have 6 of them.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back