Why or how did you become a motorhomer. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have family members who purchased a motorhome through a fear of flying. Chatting to fellow campers on sites revels all sorts of reasons for starting.

Me, I purchased my first camper after tent camping then becoming a tugger which we did for some years towing it along with the three kids all over the UK and Europe. We then purchased our first motorhome back in the eighties a brand new Kontiki, we picked it up on the Thursday and we were on the ferry to Calais the following day for a month in Spain. This continued along with a second new Kontiki until two of the kids were grown up and the youngest was around eight years old.

At this time we had a life change when I became a single parent for my youngest son, he was eight years old and we both continued motorhoming until he started to do his own thing too.

I started to use the motorhome less and less, I become totally bored with sites and the whole concept and process of going away in a motorhome. I think I had out lived the pastime and started to fly instead of driving to my destinations. I sold the Motorhome and continued to travel without it until I went to the NEC one year, not sure why, I guess it was just going through the motions.

Bilbo’s were displaying a T5 California pop top. Not sure why but it really hit the spot it would open up a totally different type of motorhoming. I put an order in and I started to enjoy this different type of camping. I had met my lovely lady by then, she didn’t have a clue about camping but we travelled a bit covering most of Europe and exchanged the California a couple of times for a newer version.

Now we are using the camper less and less again it doesn’t hold the same attraction to us as it did. I’m not into all this clubby buddy thing. Like Shifty finds with fellow hotel and aircraft users, I feel a bit like that about camping. We still use the van but mostly for short stays or day trips.

How about you what is your own experience with a home on wheels.?

Last edited:

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Hi I have been a tuger for years too and then a static for ten years but I always fancied a M/H and could not afford one . But once kids went there own ways and mortgage paid for I got one that was five years ago I love it the freedom and just chilling in a field . We not gone abroad yet but plan to next year with our new to us kontiki . She is a dream.
I'm sorry u have lost the lust to travel in your loverly camper . It's not how far u travel it the advenchir and what u do with it . John n Linda

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi I have been a tuger for years too and then a static for ten years but I always fancied a M/H and could not afford one . But once kids went there own ways and mortgage paid for I got one that was five years ago I love it the freedom and just chilling in a field . We not gone abroad yet but plan to next year with our new to us kontiki . She is a dream.
I'm sorry u have lost the lust to travel in your loverly camper . It's not how far u travel it the advenchir and what u do with it . John n Linda
Thanks john and linda, not fancied a static yet but you never know:) Like yourself we have loved everything about camping over the years especially when the kids were around. Hope you get as much pleasure from your Kontiki as we did from ours. Kontiki holds some fond memories.(y)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We had been VW campers and tuggers but had given it up a while ago.
Something made us fancy a static, so we went and looked around and found a site (holiday park) we liked near Filey.
Went through the process of getting the one that suited us on the pitch that suited us etc etc and paid a deposit.
As we drove out of the gates to go home we both had a look around us, contemplated doing the same 2 hour journey each way to the same place every time, seeing the same view everytime, same people etc etc.
Drove home and thought about it. Rang up and cancelled the deposit and went out and bought a motorhome.

Just like that. :Eeek:

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Life under flapping material and "don't touch the walls when it's raining" - I did it for years and then was lent a VW camper for a three week honeymoon in California in 1991. Stop, pull on handbrake, put on kettle and rain? What rain? We were hooked and by the time our girls no longer needed our second car, it got changed as soon as the door closed behind them for a camper van - and so 25 years later I still carry on with my MH as I find it a way of seeing new places, meeting new people - and it' s good excuse to join MHF! I keep thinking about giving it up, until I consider the alternatives - and then the wheels get turning again!

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We had been VW campers and tuggers but had given it up a while ago.
Something made us fancy a static, so we went and looked around and found a site (holiday park) we liked near Filey.
Went through the process of getting the one that suited us on the pitch that suited us etc etc and paid a deposit.
As we drove out of the gates to go home we both had a look around us, contemplated doing the same 2 hour journey each way to the same place every time, seeing the same view everytime, same people etc etc.
Drove home and thought about it. Rang up and cancelled the deposit and went out and bought a motorhome.

Just like that. :Eeek:
Statics have there place but it must be like owning a canal boat where you have to set off through the same set of locks before you make ant progress.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Life under flapping material and "don't touch the walls when it's raining" - I did it for years and then was lent a VW camper for a three week honeymoon in California in 1991. Stop, pull on handbrake, put on kettle and rain? What rain? We were hooked and by the time our girls no longer needed our second car, it got changed as soon as the door closed behind them for a camper van - and so 25 years later I still carry on with my MH as I find it a way of seeing new places, meeting new people - and it' s good excuse to join MHF! I keep thinking about giving it up, until I consider the alternatives - and then the wheels get turning again!
I had a similar dilemma Dj I overcome it with a small van shared with flying holidays. Best of both worlds.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Several years of towing a motocross bike on the back of a car and having nowhere to sit, nothing to make a cuppa on and then having three children all of whom began to race as well. No brainer really.
I think we should give a lot more thought to what hobbies we encourage our kids to take up MichelleRyall. :) My daughter was into horses, like motocross it not only cost a fortune keeping up with their progress but it also takes up all your spare time to. Given my time again I think I would have encouraged them in a different direction...(y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I wanted a Motorhome . Ralph liked our caravan. ( we'd had several over the years )
I got him to look at a few , did a bit of persuading. Well a lot, because he was in the, " what if you run out of milk brigade!"
We traded in our caravan and used some savings and bought our first MH. A ci mizar gtl living. We were a family of 5 with 2 dogs. It suited us perfectly. Once the kids stopped coming , a few years later, we thought about downsizing.
We looked at several PVC's . New and second hand .
We sold the mizar. Ralph decided he wanted to build his own. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/
PUG is finished now. He did an excellent job.
We get to all the out of the way places we love now. Perfect. Love it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I wanted a Motorhome . Ralph liked our caravan.
I got him to look at a few , did a bit of persuading.
We traded in our caravan and used some savings and bought our first MH. A ci mizar gtl living. We were a family of 5 with 2 dogs. It suited us perfectly. Once the kids stopped coming , we thought about downsizing. We looked at several PVC's . New and second hand . We sold the mizar. Ralph decided he wanted to build his own. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/
PUG is finished now. He did an excellent job.
We get to all the out of the way places we love now. Perfect.
I guess it is a process of evolution, when circumstances change dont stand still, reassess your needs and change to what suits you more. (y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We all like freedom but getting on a plane and picking up a hire car at JFK airport is also freedom. I am just booking a hire car to pick up at Palma airport for a week that gives us plenty of freedom to travel around the island but I know where you are coming from mercianman.(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I found myself at one of life's crossroads. :( Things were going downhill fast.....:cry::cry: My portable steam TV business wasn't doing so well since The Green Party came out against fossil fuels, my drinking problems had accelerated to the dizzy amount of two bottles of Angostura Bitters a day, the court case concerning the three women and a feather duster in a phone box was due to be heard, with my solicitors predicting a positive outcome for the Tickle Triplets, and next doors dog kept digging the wife up.:(:(
It was at that stage I decided to cast my foul habits, and previous life behind, to escape a constant round of self flagellation and abuse, and buy myself a quality motor home. (y)

So I purchased a Swift with a built in roof shower, took up smoking 80 tabs a day, and rode a pedal cycle like a demented idiot on speed. (y)

Signed,
Buttons. :)

LittleRiaHen

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
image.jpeg
Our only chance of a holiday :rollingeyes: :roflmto:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I found myself at one of life's crossroads. :( Things were going downhill fast.....:cry::cry: My portable steam TV business wasn't doing so well since The Green Party came out against fossil fuels, my drinking problems had accelerated to the dizzy amount of two bottles of Angostura Bitters a day, the court case concerning the three women and a feather duster in a phone box was due to be heard, with my solicitors predicting a positive outcome for the Tickle Triplets, and next doors dog kept digging the wife up.:(:(
It was at that stage I decided to cast my foul habits, and previous life behind, to escape a constant round of self flagellation and abuse, and buy myself a quality motor home. (y)

So I purchased a Swift with a built in roof shower, took up smoking 80 tabs a day, and rode a pedal cycle like a demented idiot on speed. (y)

Signed,
Buttons. :)
Your talents are wasted on here toots, you need a bigger platform to express your true thoughts(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Your talents are wasted on here toots, you need a bigger platform to express your true thoughts(y)
I tried that, with little result. Platform 13, Victoria Station, Manchester.......:cry::cry:

Kharagpur_Longest_Station.JPG

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Mid twenties, married, drab and boring workplaces, "there must be more to life than this" wanted some adventure, had very little money.
Bought a Ford Anglia van (remember them?), "converted" it into a camper, one way ticket Dover to Calais, not a clue about anything.......... hooked. Returned to the UK 17 years later.

Still loving every moment "on the road".

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Several years of towing a motocross bike on the back of a car and having nowhere to sit, nothing to make a cuppa on and then having three children all of whom began to race as well. No brainer really.
Very similar. done a lot of touring on MBike (camping) Then started racing 89, first year with Peugeot 504 pickup & tent the following year race van, eventually onto MH (y)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think we should give a lot more thought to what hobbies we encourage our kids to take up MichelleRyall. :) My daughter was into horses, like motocross it not only cost a fortune keeping up with their progress but it also takes up all your spare time to. Given my time again I think I would have encouraged them in a different direction...(y)

Maybe a sport that can attract a nice fat pay check too..::bigsmile:>:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back