Free Member
Jul 7, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have recently bought my first motorhome, a French Chausson 610 and have a bit of an issue concerning the gas supply. The Chausson has a gas bottle compartment "designed" to take a French 13 kg bottle, which attaches to the onboard regulator and hose via a simple screw thread connector.

My problem is twofold. Firstly, it is difficult to get a 13 kg bottle into the compartment through the small access door and virtually impossible to lift it out whilst it still contains much gas. Hopefully when the gas is used up I'll be able to do so. Secondly, the compartment only holds the one bottle and so I have no spare for when the gas suddenly does run out.

I would like to use smaller propane bottles so that they will fit easier and allow me to carry a spare in the garage, but the smaller bottles will not connect directly to the existing hose and all seem to require a push fit regulator. I understand you cannot have 2 regulators on the supply and so this would seem not to be possible, other than by removing the onboard reguator.

Can anyone offer any advice on this. BTW, I am in France and so British bottles are not an option for me.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Not an answer BUT did you not think about this before buying the motorhome ??

Alternative.. Fit a re-fillable bottle that you will never have to lift in and out and gas is also cheaper..
Wont overcome the fact you could run out though.... :(

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Hi i have a Rapido (french) I can get two 13 kg or bottles of that size in Spanish French or British, But have gone for Gaslow you can fill up anywhere without worrying about lugging heavy gas bottles in or out of a tight gas locker, all gas lockers seem to be two small.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
French supermarkets sell "le cube" Its 6kg plastic propane cylinder. Its has a click on connector, i think its 27mm. From a caravan shop buy a high pressure adapter to fit it and either your old pigtail or a new one if required to connect the high pressure adapter to your wall mounted regulator. ( I have assumed you do have a wall mounted regulator)

OP
OP
M

Mikejac

Free Member
Jul 7, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for your reply Sandra. I already have a couple of the le cube propane bottles, together with the appropriate clip on regulators. These are used in a caravan and I was hoping to use them in our new motorhome instead of the 13 kg bottle. I had made enquiries of a caravan accessory shop before posting my question here and they could not offer any ideas. Can you tell me what you mean by a high pressure adapter as I can't find any reference to these.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Unless your motorhome is very old it will have a bulkhead regulator to reduce and control the pressure from the bottles. This will have a high pressure hose to connect the bottle to the regulator. A decent gas engineer should be able to supply the right one for your small bottles if the local caravan shop cannot. I have a gasit connector, and a UK propane, and a Butane bayonet so far

OP
OP
M

Mikejac

Free Member
Jul 7, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Many thanks for that. I think I've now found what I need.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi i have a Rapido (french) I can get two 13 kg or bottles of that size in Spanish French or British, But have gone for Gaslow you can fill up anywhere without worrying about lugging heavy gas bottles in or out of a tight gas locker, all gas lockers seem to be two small.(y)

+1 deffo ... must have bigger gas locker :D

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Get a refiilable bottle we have a chausson 10 the locker is small but then you have a diesel heater so its only for water and cooking. The big advantage of refillable is you can top up at any time and not bother with a spare (and its cheap we recon on 50p a day for gas for cooking and hot water if off hook up)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back