Question on how much sikaflex? (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I have read most of the posts on this section and purchased a 100w solar panel and all the various bits and pieces recommended.
But there is one query that I can't find asked.
I am using 1m x 50mm aluminium angle and intend to try to achieve 2-3mm thickness of Sikaflex 512. I have bought a 300ml tube of the stuff and my maths capabilities don't extend to calculating if one tube is enough.
Could someone confirm one tube is enough, as its not easy to get hold of at short notice and once started the job has to be finished in one "stick down".
Thanks and great work in this section, giving a DIY duffer such as me confidence to attempt it.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I used one tube and fitted 2 140w solar panels using alloy angle brackets (think each bracket was around 8" long) and used 4 brackets on each panel... i did use most of the tube but there is still about a quarter of it left... panels are as solid as they could be - I only used the sikaflex to fix the panels - meaning i didnt screw them down aswell .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree one tube should be enough, I used one when I fitted 2 panels with 6 brackets on each used less than2/3 of a tube.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depends how messy you are! :LOL: One tube should be sufficient so long as you don't put it down on the roof and it continues to squirt out all over the place! :rolleyes: Its a begger to clean off too!!! :D

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I used aluminium angle to fix 2x120w solar panels. The angle aluminium were pop riveted across the (ends) width of the Solar panels.
To achieve the recommended 2mm bed of Silaflex I drilled and tapped 4x small holes near the ends of each angle screwed in 4x threaded bolts so the protruded 2mm. This enabled an even bed of Silaflex to form under each piece of angle.
I left the bolts in situ for 24hrs then filled the holes with Silaflex. Also using masking tape to mark the position of each aluminium angle, once a skin had formed on the squashed out excess I removed the masking tape leaving a neat edge behind.
All done with one tube of Silaflex, that said I purchased 2 just in case. I cleaned the area were the aluminium angle would be sitting with Panel Wipe fluid. They have never moved, but I do check just in case lol.
Colin

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Great one it is then. Thanks for the tips too, messy it will be.
I even woke up in the night trying to work out millilitres and cubic millimetres and decided I either needed 3 tubes or a third of a tube! No I can't repeat the maths.
Now is it going to be too cold for the curing process high in the Pennines today and tonight. Yes probably.
Thanks again

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
AS for curing time, data sheets are available online, just look up the one for the type of sika you are using it will give times and temps then just leave it a lot longer to be sure, to be sure:D

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
4 degrees, think it might have to wait until its safe to put the bedding plants out up here (usually May). Pity lovely sunny day today but still cold 2 degrees this morning and will be cold again tonight.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
If buying from B&Q they will refund any you don't need. See if your supplier will do the same and then overorder.

Wyn

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Decided to fix up all the internal wiring then wait for warmer weather as it is too risky on low overnight temperatures today for the glue. My local B+Q stocks Sika EBT for £7, but i'll use the 512 that I have, its more a case of not wanting any worries in my mind as I drive along (well no more than usual).

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Fitted 2x 100w panels with one tube using plastic brackets screwed to panels but not the roof.
Full width brackets at front, corner brackets at rear and small centre brackets in centre, stuck a few plastic tile spacers under the brackets first to get even thickness of adhesive, done twice first van still good when sold after three years

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As an aside to this, whilst at the show there was one stall selling flexible panels of different qualities, one made in Thailand (or somewhere like) and the other in Europe ... can't remember where! The cheaper one (and it was a LOT cheaper) didn't come with any fixings, which they don't normally, so you'd have to use Sikaflex (or similar) mastic to put it on with, however the more expensive one came with self-adhesive 'tape' on the back so you just needed to remove it and stick it on. Whilst chatting to the young lady about them she didn't seem to know much about how 'we motorhomers' fix them to our roofs and more importantly that sometimes they have to be removed if they fail or need to be transferred to a new vehicle.

Whilst I could see the appeal of a 'self-adhesive' one for ease of fitting once on it would be very, very difficult to remove it without damaging your roof in the process whereas the one stuck on with Sikaflex etc could be much easier removed by carefully running a cheese wire (old guitar string etc) between the panel and the roof to cut through the adhesive.

She obviously didn't know that sometimes you need to remove panels so this was a bit of an eye-opener for her! Not knocking any of the sellers but I wish they would research their products and HOW they are used/fitted etc a little bit more.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Once you have stuck your panels down with Sikaflex how do you stop the panels from being caught by a gust of wind until the sikaflex sets ? , or are they generally ok left alone until its fully set.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Generally left alone, it would take some fierce winds to move a panel.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Once you have stuck your panels down with Sikaflex how do you stop the panels from being caught by a gust of wind until the sikaflex sets ? , or are they generally ok left alone until its fully set.
You don't stick the panels down.
lay the panel with mounts on the roof and pencil around the mounting outline.
Remove the mounts from the panel, sikaflex the roof inside the pencilled outline, place the mounts accurately in the sikaflex.
Use a tape measure to be 100% sure when the mounts are laid in.
When its dry install the panel.
Sikaflex has an excellent wet suction ability anyway and if you do fix panels and mount as one it will take a strong wind to lift the panel.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I'd buy 2 tubes.
You might only need one for the job but it's always good to have spare tube in your tool box for emergencies.
I work on the basis that if I've got one in the tool box then I probably won't need it, and if I haven't then ther will probably come a time when I wish I had, a bit like gaffa tape, always have so e in the tool box ' cause you never know . . . . .

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
You don't stick the panels down.
lay the panel with mounts on the roof and pencil around the mounting outline.
Remove the mounts from the panel, sikaflex the roof inside the pencilled outline, place the mounts accurately in the sikaflex.
Use a tape measure to be 100% sure when the mounts are laid in.
When its dry install the panel.
Sikaflex has an excellent wet suction ability anyway and if you do fix panels and mount as one it will take a strong wind to lift the panel.

I take it the people here that have used angle aluminium as brackets , and have pop riveted their panels to the frames have done so after the brackets had been sikaflexed to the roof as you said ,, just i seen 1 video of some guy on you tube who fixed the brackets to the panel , then placed it on the roof ,, marked around the brackets on the roof where it would be fixed ,removed the panel then cleaned & keyed that area & applied sikaflex to that area and repeated for his 4 brackets , then he relaid the panel onto the sikaflex and allowed it to set , for me thats a 2 man job and also i'd worry about the panel getting moved buy a strong gust of wind , ( but mind you i've never lifted a panel yet in real life to see how heavy or light it is ,, so i guess as @Kool Kroozer has already said it would take some gust to move it ) :D

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Yes i did mine ass backwards.. I bolted my angle brackets to panel and took up on the roof..pencil marked around brackets and lifted panel up so it was standing up on it side.. I then sikaflexed the underneath of eack bracket and the lay it down onto the pencil marked area.. This i thought was a good idea as i had used bolts with nyloc nuts on the back as i wanted to make sure they wouldnt rattle loose.. And as i thought the panels were going to be up there for a good few yrs i wanted to make sure they were held in place good.. 3 months down the road i have had to remove one of the ge 140w panels to fit an awning and wat a fkin game i had trying to get the panel off.. Ended up sawing the bolt heads off to free the panel.. So a word of warning.. Think an escape route before bolting, screwing, bonding anything down lol

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Yes i did mine ass backwards.. I bolted my angle brackets to panel and took up on the roof..pencil marked around brackets and lifted panel up so it was standing up on it side.. I then sikaflexed the underneath of eack bracket and the lay it down onto the pencil marked area.. This i thought was a good idea as i had used bolts with nyloc nuts on the back as i wanted to make sure they wouldnt rattle loose.. And as i thought the panels were going to be up there for a good few yrs i wanted to make sure they were held in place good.. 3 months down the road i have had to remove one of the ge 140w panels to fit an awning and wat a fkin game i had trying to get the panel off.. Ended up sawing the bolt heads off to free the panel.. So a word of warning.. Think an escape route before bolting, screwing, bonding anything down lol

Ohh the joy of it ,, all fun and games .... NOT

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Well I riveted my aluminium angle onto the panels, drew around them onto the roof, masked off the area to sand, abrade and clean the surface, abraded and cleaned the base of the aluminium angles, let them dry, applied Sikaflex and then turned the panel upside down and gently placed back within the markings on the roof and gently pressed down onto the screw heads protruding to get the right amount of Sikaflex under the mounts, removed masking tape and cleaned up - job done, single handed!

Loads of surface tension from the sticky Sikaflex to hold the panels in place and pretty solid the next day and rock hard the day after that. The fun bit is finding a route for the cables down through the roof to the controller and batteries.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
pressed down onto the screw heads protruding to get the right amount of Sikaflex under the mounts
Did you screw some screws into the roof of your MH to give you the right thickness of sikaflex , but not to attach the brackets , did i read that correctly ?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Did you screw some screws into the roof of your MH to give you the right thickness of sikaflex , but not to attach the brackets , did i read that correctly ?

No the screws were screwed into the aluminium angle mounts riveted to the solar panels. I have not made any holes in the roof in fixing the panels but there will have to be one to get the cables down inside.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
No the screws were screwed into the aluminium angle mounts riveted to the solar panels. I have not made any holes in the roof in fixing the panels but there will have to be one to get the cables down inside.
Good idea, actually also gives a good key for the sikaflex to grip onto on the bracket side as its worked around the screw head.

P.S i take it the screw was screwed in tight to the bracket so the sikaflex ended up the thickness of the screw head ?

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Top man Andy !! hes helped me so much :D

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
P.S i take it the screw was screwed in tight to the bracket so the sikaflex ended up the thickness of the screw head ?
image.jpeg

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I used aluminium angle to fix 2x120w solar panels. The angle aluminium were pop riveted across the (ends) width of the Solar panels.
To achieve the recommended 2mm bed of Silaflex I drilled and tapped 4x small holes near the ends of each angle screwed in 4x threaded bolts so the protruded 2mm. This enabled an even bed of Silaflex to form under each piece of angle.
I left the bolts in situ for 24hrs then filled the holes with Silaflex. Also using masking tape to mark the position of each aluminium angle, once a skin had formed on the squashed out excess I removed the masking tape leaving a neat edge behind.
All done with one tube of Silaflex, that said I purchased 2 just in case. I cleaned the area were the aluminium angle would be sitting with Panel Wipe fluid. They have never moved, but I do check just in case lol.
Colin
I used the small tile spacers you use to keep tiles apart to get the correct gap and then kept the Sikaflex away from the outside edge. When it had all hardened I got my son who is a plumber to run a bead of bathroom silicone sealer round to make a neat finish.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back