Retuning Freeview (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
All those with Freeview boxes or pre-installed in tv sets will already know that we had to retune today (30th).

I have a stand-alone Freeview box and did mine this morning before leaving for work. All channels loaded and all work ok........except ITV4. Tonight i have just retuned it again.....and ITV4 has totally disappeared!

Anyone else having the same problem?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no....mines got itv4 but i just lost 2 other channels while looking.

one listed in the epg as itv but is itv2+1
dont know what the other is but just been watched dog soldiers on it...now its gone!!!

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hmmmmm......weird.

I've now got ITV2+1 which i never had before....but ITV4 is nowhere to be seen at all. Was on the onscreen menu this morning after the first tuning, but now it's gone!

If this is the 'future' of digital then they can damn well keep it! A phone caller to The Wright Stuff yesterday morning said he was only able to watch the show as he had kept his old analogue TV!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
All my chanels have gone except BBC1, 2, 3, etc. Tried 5 times to tune it but no luck. Looked it up on the website as to what I was doing wrong :Angry: but not my fault. Don't know what to do next. :shout:

Maddie

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hmmmmm......weird.

I've now got ITV2+1 which i never had before....but ITV4 is nowhere to be seen at all. Was on the onscreen menu this morning after the first tuning, but now it's gone!

If this is the 'future' of digital then they can damn well keep it! A phone caller to The Wright Stuff yesterday morning said he was only able to watch the show as he had kept his old analogue TV!

You're not alone I'm afraid. See the BBC news Here.

I knew nothing about the risk of losing channels until the lunchtime news yesterday but I wasn't surprised at all. The digitial TV project was ill conceived, ill thought out and has been badly managed throughout.

Graham

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
You're not alone I'm afraid. See the BBC news Here.

I knew nothing about the risk of losing channels until the lunchtime news yesterday but I wasn't surprised at all. The digitial TV project was ill conceived, ill thought out and has been badly managed throughout.

Graham
Informative link Graham. None of this surprises me either.

Digital daftness is a fad which once the dealers have managed to cream substantial profits, will become outdated and obsolete and we will be forced to 'move on' to the next phase of daftness. I seem to remember the trumpeting hype announcing the arrival of DAB radio. Where is that now?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,m suprised ours worked fine .itv2+1 just moved to another chanell from 27 to 33.we have some extra channells of junk. lost 27 aboutquarter to 12 last night,5 minutes later it said go to 33. all working fine now. cheers alan.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Informative link Graham. None of this surprises me either.

Digital daftness is a fad which once the dealers have managed to cream substantial profits, will become outdated and obsolete and we will be forced to 'move on' to the next phase of daftness. I seem to remember the trumpeting hype announcing the arrival of DAB radio. Where is that now?

Not the dealers but our old friend Gordon Brown. Moving to digital enables selling off of the old analogue spectrum as an alternative income generating device to taxes. The real stupidity is that the TV companies fell over themselves to set up more and more extra channels despite the fact that the advertising pot to pay for them was never going to increase sufficiently. Result, naturally, dumbing down of programming and reduced profits.

As for DAB radio, sorry but it's coming - see Here for one report. Having said that, I recently bought a portable DAB radio from Argos Clearance on eBay, because we often couldn't get a decent signal in the van from the FM portable we had, and that is great.

Graham

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
All those with Freeview boxes or pre-installed in tv sets will already know that we had to retune today (30th).

I have a stand-alone Freeview box and did mine this morning before leaving for work. All channels loaded and all work ok........except ITV4. Tonight i have just retuned it again.....and ITV4 has totally disappeared!

Anyone else having the same problem?

The message actually stated that you should tune the box after midday, try tuning again see if it helps all the best:thumb:

danie_jc

Free Member
Sep 5, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
We only get some the bbc channels here - and after retuning we still only get some of the BBC channels - so rubbish freeview remains rubbish!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We are actually OK for Freeview (even after re-tuning) - not suprising as (though we are some miles away) we can see the Bilsdale transmitter from our back bedroom window.

It's crazy where my Mum lives. She has nothing on Freeview until November then on 4th November the BBC2 analogue signal will be switched off and replaced by digital and on 2nd December the rest of the analogue channels will be switched off and everything will be digital. No changeover period where the current analogue channels can be received on both, which would be the sensible thing to do.

Hopefully (as she is 89) the Digital UK service will install the necessary kit for her and go along to re-tune it on both those days. Otherwise it will mean us making two special 220 mile round trips to do it for her.

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As for DAB radio, sorry but it's coming - see Here for one report. Having said that, I recently bought a portable DAB radio from Argos Clearance on eBay, because we often couldn't get a decent signal in the van from the FM portable we had, and that is great.

Graham

got one i use at work.

i get BBC radio1 through to 7 and a few 'commercial' channels.

waste of time and money

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'd agree for most of them John but the one I bought - eBay item 330331946644 - only cost 14 quid including postage. Probably because it's pink but who cares :Smile:

Graham

How much !!!!! :Eeek:

mine was free......well, a christmas prezzy actually so i cant complain really.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The message actually stated that you should tune the box after midday, try tuning again see if it helps all the best:thumb:
First time i did it was before 12 noon (wednesday) as i switched the set on and there were no channels showing at all....totally blank. On re-tune, all channels came back with picture and sound except for ITV4, so i left it till i came back home at 1030pm. Re-tuned again and ITV4 disappeared altogether. Not been seen since!

Just for the hell of it i re-tuned this morning to see if it would come back, but no.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hey pappa we get channel 5 usa on channel 31. must be the best area for free view we got loads of new channels. hee hee . pack your bags n move down here. lots jobs here as well.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hey pappa we get channel 5 usa on channel 31. must be the best area for free view we got loads of new channels. hee hee . pack your bags n move down here. lots jobs here as well.

no problem getting the channels Alan....just the onscreen message saying to retune.

i emailed channel 5 and asked why its still being transmitted.....auto reply.

"you have contacted us because you cant receive channel 5 USA...retune your digibox" :Doh:

:shout:i have retuned and its still there.:Doh:

hawkeye6007

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Fareham Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
14 years
Freeview Retune

It may be a bit drastic but try doing a 'Default'. If you have a PVR Be aware though that you will lose anything in your recording schedule but NOT an programmes already recorded.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It may be a bit drastic but try doing a 'Default'. If you have a PVR Be aware though that you will lose anything in your recording schedule but NOT an programmes already recorded.

definately not my receiver.....a few others people are getting it too.

my second email......"answer not relevant to my question"

same reply.

third email......"still not relevant......just like your programmes...bloody repeats"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

no-one reads these anyway.:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back