Compressor fridges (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
When we had a boat we had a compressor fridge, I built the fridge box and fitted the Italian unit to it, the box had 4" plus insulation and it worked very well.

The gas fridge we have in the van is not realy coping very well with the heat down here and I am starting to think about a compressor model as a replacement. the only thing that is bothering me is pityfull lack of insulation in a commercial unit.

Also I was thinking that I could convert a gas fridge to compressor as thay seem to have a space for the unit under the back of he cabinet.

Any one got any comments? Jim?

Doug...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its an on going problem .normal three way fridges stop working at about 32c . i use a 240 household with inverter .alot use either weaco or engel 12volt .but they are expensive. you can buy a danfoss 12v compressor bit n buld your own . keep thinking about it myself. would like fridge /freezer . good for making lolly pops in the desert. tyed making icecream but never quite get it right. are you still near seville.cheers alan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
do you have a cooling fan in the top fridge vent, gets the heated air out quicker so gives the fridge a fighting chance......never tried it but it is supposed to make a diffence

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
My van was fitted with a cooling fan in the top vent area by the manufactures, works great , but we havn't been abroad with this van yet. I thought that they fitted it because our sliding door covers the vents when open. your winter vent covers are not still fitted by any chance, I see a lot of motorhomes with covers still fitted and when you tell the owners they are amazed, as they had never had it explained to them.

John.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,msure it will be just the hot weather in spain. i used to get the same trouble .when youget home it works fine. if i left here late i have light it here n except for changing gas bottles never had to relight it allthrough my winter trips. not so good if going through mauritainia n senegal was to hot again. compressor is the way forward.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Installing a compressor fridge is the way to go, but only if you are prepared to find the power to run it. No problem if most of your time is on hook-up, but if you are a dedicated free camper, it means a considerable investment in solar panels and batteries. No more worrying that the van is level or switching it off gas when travelling or on ferries.

Here in Oz, three-way fridges with a tropical rating are available and they will work at a higher temperature than standard.
One major problem - that may be even worse in UK where high temperatures are uncommon - is that van builders are very slack about installing three-ways properly. Common errors are to have a large space at the rear of the cooling fins so the fix is to install baffles on the wall coming to within 1/2" of the fins so as to force the rising air through the fins rather than just bypass them. The other problem is a dead air space at the top of the fridge instead of having a smooth duct out the top vent.
Adding a fan blowing in the bottom is also often counterproductive. Sucking out the top is usually better

Last edited:
OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
do you have a cooling fan in the top fridge vent, gets the heated air out quicker so gives the fridge a fighting chance......never tried it but it is supposed to make a diffence

Yes, and to be honest it does not seem to make much difference after the mercury goes above 28/30

Doug...

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Installing a compressor fridge is the way to go, but only if you are prepared to find the power to run it. No problem if most of your time is on hook-up, but if you are a dedicated free camper, it means a considerable investment in solar panels and batteries. No more worrying that the van is level or switching it off gas when travelling or on ferries.

Here in Oz, three-way fridges with a tropical rating are available and they will work at a higher temperature than standard.
One major problem - that may be even worse in UK where high temperatures are uncommon - is that van builders are very slack about installing three-ways properly. Common errors are to have a large space at the rear of the cooling fins so the fix is to install baffles on the wall coming to within 1/2" of the fins so as to force the rising air through the fins rather than just bypass them. The other problem is a dead air space at the top of the fridge instead of having a smooth duct out the top vent.
Adding a fan blowing in the bottom is also often counterproductive. Sucking out the top is usually better

http://www.marinesuperstore.com/posit/shop/index.php?selectedpartno=99176969

All noted, power not a problem, 200 watt panel with 300 amp batt, fully charged by mid day, but compressor may eat into my computer/TV time.

My fan is fastend to the bottom of the fins, might try it on the outlet grill!

...................... I am thinking, if I make my own convertion with fridge kit I can mount the compressor and cooling under the van and just bring in the evaporator lines through the floor, the Italian kit I used in the boat was arranged with sealing joints on the connections.

Doug....

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Sad: We found the same problem with our 630G as soon as we got to France and further south into Spain. I first thought it was because it was the cover vents that was not allowing it to cool. So I took them off. Made no difference what so ever. Rather annoying when our 1989 Kontiki worked brilliant in ALL weathers. :Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Doug

In our last euro van I had the same problem, so I fitted twin 12v computer fans exhausting on the top vent, which made a vast improvement ..

I've never had a problem with the RV fridge, I guess it's designed to work in extreme temperatures and the top vent is on the roof. When I get my next euro van I will seriously consider fitting a compressor unit ..

jim

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Hi Doug

In our last euro van I had the same problem, so I fitted twin 12v computer fans exhausting on the top vent, which made a vast improvement ..

I've never had a problem with the RV fridge, I guess it's designed to work in extreme temperatures and the top vent is on the roof. When I get my next euro van I will seriously consider fitting a compressor unit ..

jim

Just completed moving the fan from the bottom of the fins to the top vent and it seems to be making a difference, the fridge temp has dropped from 9.1 to 8.7 in half an hour and that is with the sun rising on the fridge side of the van. fingers crossed!!!

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just completed moving the fan from the bottom of the fins to the top vent and it seems to be making a difference, the fridge temp has dropped from 9.1 to 8.7 in half an hour and that is with the sun rising on the fridge side of the van. fingers crossed!!!

Doug...

Hi

can you not turn the van round so the vents are in the shade .. ?

jim

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
when i built my trucj i deliberately put the fridge on the otherside to the door . as i like to be by the sea and prefer atlantic for surfing .i can now back up to the sea have the door in the sun ,but keep the fridge on the shadyside. makes me laugh when top proffesional concerters block the vents with the doors. i would just have to walk away . if they get a thing like that wrong makes me wonder about the rest of their design knowledge. have fun doug your making us all jealous.

McG

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Converted Bus
Exp
In one work, CRAP.

Doug...

Agree withat!!:Cool:

I bought a Novakool compressor fridge/freezer from Canada. Thought they make good stuff. I am now planning to redo their insulation stuffup. Has anyone used C-foam on a fridge yet?
Is there anything better to use as insulation?

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Agree withat!!:Cool:

I bought a Novakool compressor fridge/freezer from Canada. Thought they make good stuff. I am now planning to redo their insulation stuffup. Has anyone used C-foam on a fridge yet?
Is there anything better to use as insulation?

:coolthumb: Interesting van. (MH Model: 9m Nissan RM210 )

How long before they hit our shores I wonder? Sorry, off topic.:Blush::welcome:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi derek. they have landed here .about 18mts ago they are called nissan civilians .some are diesel ,some compressednatural gas .they get converted to lpg here. wellhouse leisure have had one for sale and i know of 3 others a silver one redone and another white one. aug mmm2009 as one one their advert. 2003 converted for 23,000..make ideal base vehicles there will be lots more of this type of vehicles coming over soon . cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back