First Motorhome! B584 (1 Viewer)

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
Picking up our first motorhome - a 2000 Hymer B584 on sat morning! I intend fitting a second leisure battery, anyone know where it should fit? Not had a chance yet to properly investigate the van. Can't wait:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi scotty,

try to fit the second battery as close as possible to the original.
use heavy cables, at least as big as the cables fitted now, to interconnect (+ to + and - to -) and fit a fuse (30amp should do) at BOTH ends of the LIVE connecting wire as close to the battery as you can.

the further away the new battery is from the original, the bigger the cable needed.

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
can't imagine having less than 2 big batteries in my 584....one under each front seat
as someone said ..nice big thick cables

Upvote 0

Manouche

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Hi Scottie,
Welcome.
We also have a 2000 B584, not a bad choice of van,:Smile:
Our two leisure batteries are under the front seats.
Anytime you want to compare notes.......

Good luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
Had our first night away in the New Forest - great! Off this sat for 4 nights in Exmoor. Since i last posted i have had a look at the leisure battery - appears to be the original 75ah one. What size batteries have you guys fitted, and lead acid (cheapish) or Gel type? Being in the interior i would assume gel as they are sealed and give off no fumes etc?

I have also fitted 6 LED lights - much improved light and consume much less power. Looking forward to spending a few days in it to work out where to store all our bits.

I have also made an external screen from some old silver backed bubble wrap style insulation as no time to investigate / purchase "proper" screen covers. The condensation on the inside of the front screen after our first night has made me realise we definitely need one if we are going to use the van over the winter. Any prefrences - Silverscreen or Taylormade, plus what do they cost?

thanks for all the info:thumb:

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
the two biggest batteries you can get in ...I guess the 75 is small enough to slide in without removing the seats which you won't do with a decent sized one
personally I use standard lead acid that you can top up once a year or more in a hot climate..ok , a hastle to take out the seats but never mind ; having opened up some of the so called maintenance free at the end of their useful life and found them with exposed plates , I have no confidence in THEM; have discussed them with an AA man of advance years he said that the AC Delco ones actually work and that some of the japanese cars use a copy of them

gel ? rip off and not required

don't forget to set your charger block to the correct battery type

which engine do you have ...the code should be on the rocker cover

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi
We have a B584 and love it !
2 75amp batteries with an 800 solar panal do us fine using tv ect
Had a month away in may with no hookup no prob

584 Use it , Love it
Chrisboyo

Upvote 0

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi we have a B574
2 110 amp batts no solar panel most camping done in the winter, all wild camping no probs so far.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
didn't think they made the 584 with the jtd in 2000 , thought it had the older engine if it was a 2.8 , the idTD ; isn't there a code on the rocker cover ...or haven't you found out how to take the bonnet off yet :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Glad you are enjoying your 584, we also have the 584 2000 model it is a 2.8TD. When we bought it had the original gel battery with it but be bought 130Ah gel battery a couple of years ago thought 1 large one instead to 2 smaller, this together with our 85w Solar Panel which keeps us going without hook up with no trouble. We have had the van for 4 years now and absoulutly love it. Carol.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back