In line switch on solar feed? (1 Viewer)

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
I've recently installed a 100w solar panel kit. It came with the cheapie PWM charge controller.

All seems to be working fine but I'm thinking about fitting an inline switch on the feed into the controller from the panel to stop the charge.

My thinking is that continuous charging of the leisure battery could be detrimental and lead to the battery dying prematurely.

What are your thoughts?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Not a good idea as the controller needs the battery voltage to set its output correctly. Switching on the battery to controller when the solar panel is already connected will end up putting too many volts into the battery.
Left connected as it is now it will reduce the charge as the battery becomes fully charged ie no harm will come to the battery.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
My opinion is leave as is but if you want to install a switch surely it should be on the output of the controller?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have been using pwm regulators for about 10 years cant see any reason to change they w0rk. you could switch power to engine battery or just add another leisure battery . but again wet truck battery better than many leisure batteries . also i find keeping batteries fully charged doesnt seem to hurt them . running them down often is what kills them .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The controller shouldn't fry the batteries as the charging current will reduce when the battery voltage rises high enough. This should happen automatically.

I can only suggest try it without the switch and check what it is doing when the battery voltage gets up to say 13.6 or 13.7 volts. Let it settle down first of course, as the batteries might be a bit flat but after a while if it is then just putting in an amp or two you should be fine because this is the "float" voltage when it should just be maintaining a sort of equilibrium.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Crazy idea. There isn't a regulator made that recommend that in the instructions.
It's purpose is to regulate so why stop it doing its job

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
My opinion is leave as is but if you want to install a switch surely it should be on the output of the controller?
other way round , you should always have the batteries connected before you connect your solar panels otherwise you could damage your regulator. so if you have a switch to shut off the batteries , the power from your panels has nowhere to go

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
What harm does it do to the panels if they are not connected t the controller?

What harm would come to them if left out in the sun completely unconnected?

Isn't this what he is proposing - or am I missing something?

OP
OP
Petest

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
What harm does it do to the panels if they are not connected t the controller?

What harm would come to them if left out in the sun completely unconnected?

Isn't this what he is proposing - or am I missing something?

That would be the result.

Maybe I should rephrase the question.

Will having a leisure battery on charge for 15-18 hours z day via solar cause any problems with the battery?

I guess not going on the answers above.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Will having a leisure battery on charge for 15-18 hours z day via solar cause any problems with the battery?

Same answer as above, ie, no, as your controller will give a float charge only, once the batteries have reached a full charge. Your solar controller does it all for you, although some do it better than others. ;)

You could then install a battery manager, which would switch in and transfer any excess charge from the panels, to your starter battery (if your onboard charging unit doesn't already do that). That is a handy wee addition. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That would be the result.

We've had our van for three years and the solar has been permanently connected and the batteries are fine. Indeed, this is how all installations are as far as I know. There should be no requirement to disconnect the panels though it would do no harm to the panel(s) if they were. The only thing which could come to harm might be the batteries - by going flat. :)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
No problems leaving it connected as long as the PWM controller is working as it should. My previous factory fitted controller was over charging. It damaged two sets of batteries before I realised it was a controller problem not the heat in the South of France evaporating the battery fluid. So put a volt meter on the batteries to check that it settles down to a float voltage.
Steve

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
All seems to be working fine but I'm thinking about fitting an inline switch on the feed into the controller from the panel to stop the charge.

$_57.JPG

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I've recently installed a 100w solar panel kit. It came with the cheapie PWM charge controller.

My thinking is that continuous charging of the leisure battery could be detrimental and lead to the battery dying prematurely.

What are your thoughts?
Interestingly I think most people here have missed your point!!!
This recommends a fuse between the panels and the controller for the following reasons......I await cries of heresy but also good reasons why you should not do this ???

We had to report what we found, which was no safety fuse fitted between the Solar Panel and the Regulator. Had this been in place it would have blown as soon as the Solar Reg shorted so minimising the damage and preventing a Fire.
The Solar Installation was a professionally fitted item and the Motorhome owners Insurance team are saying it is the fitters Insurance that should pay, not them. I suspect it may drag on a while?
We almost always see a fuse has been fitted on the Battery side of the regulator, but professional installers never see the Solar Panel as the big Power source it can be.
Can we suggest it is fused properly on both sides of the Regulator?
We have yet to see a single professional installation with a fuse where the cables come in at the Roof. See item 1. in the Installation Suggestions section below.
Can we also suggest a Fire Extinguisher in a Motorhome is a very worthwhile safety aid?
Solar Installation Suggestions.
. It is standard practise to install a Fuse in any 12v power cable at the battery 'power' end. This is to protect the devices being fed by the cable but also ensures that if the cable is cut through or shorted it reduces the risk of Fire. It is a primary safety consideration. A Solar array is a big power Source, if the cables are shorted there will be amps across them. A Solar Array is a power source in the same way that a battery is. It is lower current but will still melt wires. We have seen a couple of melted/burnt Solar regulators where they developed a fault and shorted the Array. Therefore please install fuses into the cables as soon they come in through the roof. We have yet to see a professionally fitted Solar Install that builds in this electrical safety. There is always one on the battery side of the Regulator, but never one on the Solar Panel side of the Regulator when there should be both.
Fit a 10A, or relevant sized, Fuse between the Solar panel and the regulator to allow some electrical protection, but also to allow you to isolate the Solar Panel from the regulator during maintenance work, like changing the batteries. Failure to isolate the regulator from the Solar panel during battery maintenance can lead to solar regulator failure. Consider putting a label inside the battery box on the leads to remind you/engineers to pull the Solar fuse first with information on where it can be found. Click here for a page to print off to put in the Battery box, or for suggestions on the text.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

I don't know about your charge controller but mine doesn't go on pumping charge into the batteries when they are full. It stops charging them without any need for a switch between the panels and controller.

Again, I can only go on about my system. My charge controller controls the charging of the batteries... I reckon that is why it is called a charge controller.

You asked for my(our) thoughts.

I think it is completely unnecessary to fit a switch.

JJ :cool:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I think they are trying to reduce the risks of fire if the controller packs up or develops a fault.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you short a lead-acid battery, without fuse protection the current will be huge, enough to start a fire. Similarly with mains supply.

If you short a solar panel, the current increase will be very modest, at most. A fuse that will permit normal solar currents will be most unlikely to blow. So it's a bit debatable whether to fit one at all. If you're worried, it would be better to fit a thermal trip on the controller box. Or get the designer to build one in to start with.

A battery charger should have a control profile known as IUoU.
I = constant current, until a trigger voltage is reached.
Uo = High voltage until the current drops to a pre-defined level.
U = float voltage, about 13.6 to 13.8V, with very little current into the battery, to keep it topped up.

That's a minimum. If your controller doesn't do that, best to get one that does, it's cheaper than a new set of batteries every year. Better chargers, like my CTEK, have seven stages.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back