Electric hook up on P&O out of Hull? (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi all

Does anyone know if P&O have an electric hook up facility on their Hull - Zeebrugge service?
My gas will be switched off and didn't want to run off vehicle battery.
Wife's planning taking all sorts in the freezer and at this rate i can see us flooding the deck.:rolleyes:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've been on overnight ferries without any problems.
Just make sure the freezer is switched on a couple of days before you leave and that everything is already completely frozen.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think you would have to contact them and ask BUT when we take stuff that needs/is going to go in the freezer we take it fresh in the fridge and then put it all in the freezer at the other side. The stuff that goes in the freezer comes out at the ferry and goes in the fridge to help keep that cool and then it gets eaten the evening we arrive.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I agree if it is frozen and the fridge is in full swing it will last for the crossing.
Recently coming back from Rotterdam I gave away our surplus magnums because I thought they would melt.
After the crossing I checked the fridge and the ice cubes were still frozen

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I believe that ferry 240v supplies are highly unstable and likely to cause over-voltage problems to your van.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
First time we crossed to Zeebrugge we shopped at Carefour and filled up

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think you would have to contact them and ask BUT when we take stuff that needs/is going to go in the freezer we take it fresh in the fridge and then put it all in the freezer at the other side. The stuff that goes in the freezer comes out at the ferry and goes in the fridge to help keep that cool and then it gets eaten the evening we arrive.

Martin
That's a good idea but the only problem is that not all MH freezers are suitable for freezing fresh products, some are only 2* which means they can store it once frozen but not freeze it 'safely' to a suitably low temperature to kill off any nasties and preserve the food in a good state for later consumption, in fact only freezers with a snowflake image on should be used to freeze fresh food rather than store pre-frozen food..

freezer temperatures For long‐term storage of frozen foods (up to 2–3 months), domestic freezers run at −18 °C (0 °F); in the UK this is a 3‐star rated deep freeze. A freezing compartment of a refrigerator (for short‐term storage of frozen foods) is between −11 °C (12 °F), 2‐star rated, for storage up to 4 weeks; and −4 °C (25 °F), 1‐star rated, for storage up to a week.

A 3‐star rated deep freeze with a snowflake symbol is one that is suitable for freezing foods, as opposed to storing ready‐frozen food; it has a higher cooling capacity than a simple deep freeze storage cabinet.​

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's a good idea but the only problem is that not all MH freezers are suitable for freezing fresh products, some are only 2* which means they can store it once frozen but not freeze it 'safely' to a suitably low temperature to kill off any nasties.

freezer temperatures For long‐term storage of frozen foods (up to 2–3 months), domestic freezers run at −18 °C (0 °F); in the UK this is a 3‐star rated deep freeze. A freezing compartment of a refrigerator (for short‐term storage of frozen foods) is between −11 °C (12 °F), 2‐star rated, for storage up to 4 weeks; and −4 °C (25 °F), 1‐star rated, for storage up to a week.

A 3‐star rated deep freeze with a snowflake symbol is one that is suitable for freezing foods, as opposed to storing ready‐frozen food; it has a higher cooling capacity than a simple deep freeze storage cabinet.​
Ours is most likely 2* but have not died yet, we have had a freezer thermometer in and it doesn't get to -18 but I think better than -10 from memory.

I do take your point though.

Martin

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all

Does anyone know if P&O have an electric hook up facility on their Hull - Zeebrugge service?
My gas will be switched off and didn't want to run off vehicle battery.
Wife's planning taking all sorts in the freezer and at this rate i can see us flooding the deck.:rolleyes:
Why not fill up when you get there, or better still buy fresh every other day, and not bother with freezing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ours is most likely 2* but have not died yet, we have had a freezer thermometer in and it doesn't get to -18 but I think better than -10 from memory.

I do take your point though.

Martin
Ours is the same 2* but it doesn't stop hubby freezing stuff all the time ... especially stuffing it with some chicken pieces and then not being able to get them out until we get home and defrost the thing 'cause he forgot to allow for 'expansion'!!!! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why not fill up when you get there, or better still buy fresh every other day, and not bother with freezing.
... leaves more room in the freezer for ice-cream then ... yummy!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Apart from teabags, and a bit of bacon and maybe cheese if you prefer cheddar , there's nowt you can't get there just as good as here(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I once witnessed a FUNster arriving in Spain with lockers full of booze - how silly is that ?
Some folk are very reluctant to change their habits food and drink wise. I've read on here of people stocked up with Cheddar cheese, sausage and bacon. To me half the fun of travelling is trying different foods.

We have found bacon a bit tricky to source in Italy but we've generally been lucky but when not we bought Frankfurter sausages to fry up for breakfast to go with the tomatoes, mushrooms and scrambled egg.

Cheese can be a bit hit and miss as a lot of it doesn't have much flavour but trying them is all is part of the fun.

And we've had some really tasty sausages.

The only things we bring are tea bags (who doesn't?) and muesli although we've now run out of the latter but locally sourced cornflakes are fine.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I agree if it is frozen and the fridge is in full swing it will last for the crossing.
Recently coming back from Rotterdam I gave away our surplus magnums because I thought they would melt.
After the crossing I checked the fridge and the ice cubes were still frozen
Nooooooooooo! I would have eaten them all and chanced throwing up :doh:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The only things we bring are tea bags (who doesn't?) and muesli although we've now run out of the latter but locally sourced cornflakes are fine.

Not us...coffee and emergency rations for the first night and morning is all we take

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just tea bags for us as well.

If we're going on a longer trip we will also take anything perishable we have in the fridge at home that won't keep until we get back.

Other than shop as we need to.

I think the only thing the freezer has ever been used for is ice cream, human and dog versions.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Some great info here - thanks.
Forgot to mention, majority of frozen stuff would be for a very extremely fussy 2yr old girl.
Looks like she's gonna starve!

Thanks @Techno Andy for the Carrefour info - I think we'll stop here as we plan to spend a night or two at the Brugge aire upon arrival and this looks to be enroute.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think we'll stop here as we plan to spend a night or two at the Brugge aire upon arrival and this looks to be enroute.
Yes it is. When you approach the aire it is on both sides of the road and the one on the LEFT has better size spaces for yours (y)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
When we do the overnight from Newcastle we just bung a couple of those cool on freezer packs in, that seems to work.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Yes it is. When you approach the aire it is on both sides of the road and the one on the LEFT has better size spaces for yours (y)
Thanks Andy - I've just posted a load of questions about the aire on a separate thread - you maybe able to answer them.
Thanks again

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I do take some ready, home made frozen meals, also bacon as we have yet to find any john likes abroad. I freeze butter, cheese and milk too, and bottles of water, put them and a couple of iceblocks in a packed fridge/freezer, all already cold or frozen. Don't open the door till the other side, keep gas on coldest setting till we are about to board the ferry, has kept food fine using both /hull and Santander ferries. Have 2 very fussy grandchildren so know how you feel, fortunately the other 5 will eat most things.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back