Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
I will be travelling from Ireland to France later in the year with Brittany Ferries and I think I saw somewhere that dogs now have to wear muzzles. Does anyone have experience of this - my dog won't be happy if this is true! It's a few years since I travelled with that company and it wasn't the case then.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes they do. or suposed to . at one time they were giving muzzles away at the port but later they stopped it . they only have to wear them as you are walking them around . in the kennels you could take it off .
mine used to stay in my trailer so never wore one for years .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is what the rules say but I've never seen it being obeyed. However, on the Pont Aven now the dog exercise area is a deck below where it used to be and you will have to walk your dog past Muggles (non-dog owners) to reach it I believe. Will let you know on the 27th of this month when we are on it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We travelled from Dover the Calais in April and the dogs didn't have to wear muzzles. Will be following this thread, as interested to know if things have changed.

Last edited:

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Are we talking about on the ferry or in France? Never seen a muzzled dog in France.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We travelled from Dover the Calais in April and the dogs didn't have to wear muzzles. Will be following this thread, as interested to know if the law has changed.
The question was about Brittany Ferries - they don't run from Dover to Calais, their routes are generally longer and include Eire.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Came back from Santander in February, muzzles supposed to be worn when passing from car deck to cabin and cabin to exercise area, Most of the dogs I saw did not have them on crew never said anything, so it looks like you takes your choice. Only thing I can say is that if your dog has one on and an incident takes place, you are covered against claims

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it was several years ago they gave one for my old dog . she used to wear it as and when .
i now just keep it in the trailer and never know might get another one one day.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We travelled Easter. Portsmouth-Caen forgot the muzzle so run round like a bloody looney on the way down to the port and we were already late. Got another bloody muzzle. Not required. She did stay in the van though.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
In our experience on the Spanish routes most people carry the muzzle conspicuously and only between car deck and cabin/kennel. Very rare to see one on the exercise deck, or in transit, ours stay in the cabin. Other routes of course may be different

OP
OP
Lookaround

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll get one anyway to be safe. I see @maxi77 you keep your dog in the cabin. I'll be travelling in the Pont Aven also but they don't seem to offer pet friendly cabins on the Ireland/France route.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry, only trying to share my experience and be helpful.
My comment wasn't a criticism! I think on all the shorter crossings dogs stay in the vehicle. We used Plymouth/Roscoff on our way out this trip (long story, the Santander ferry was indisposed) and we travelled overnight, leaving our dog in the MH, and we weren't sure how he would cope with the experience - but he must have gone to sleep almost immediately and slept right through as the interior of the MH was undisturbed. He was only 9 months at the time so we feared coming back to shredded seats!

On some Brittany Ferries the dogs stay in kennels and can be exercised in specific deck areas. This is where the rules say muzzles should be worn - but seldom are.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll get one anyway to be safe. I see @maxi77 you keep your dog in the cabin. I'll be travelling in the Pont Aven also but they don't seem to offer pet friendly cabins on the Ireland/France route.
I'm surprised, but the pet cabins get booked up very quickly. We've never managed to get one.

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Came back yesterday via Caen and saw lots of dogs not muzzled while waiting to be boarded on ferry.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I saw an Alsation not muzzled or on a lead bite two smaller dogs in the excersise deck that were on leads on the Portsmouth to santander route . Surely its what you expect of other dog owners to control their pets on these crossings , if you dont do it why should they ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I saw an Alsation not muzzled or on a lead bite two smaller dogs in the excersise deck that were on leads on the Portsmouth to santander route . Surely its what you expect of other dog owners to control their pets on these crossings , if you dont do it why should they ?
Unfortunately, some dog owners need muzzling themselves. Dogs should always be on leads on the ship and owners should know if their dog is likely to bite others and use a muzzle accordingly

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I'm surprised, but the pet cabins get booked up very quickly. We've never managed to get one.

The Pont Aven doesn't have pet friendly cabins, which is a shame, because I think it's by far the nicest ship. We travelled on the Cap Finistere last year, in order to get a pet friendly cabin - still quite a nice ship, but not up to Pont Aven standards. The sacrifices we make, because we've got an old dog!:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back