Painting ceiling or something more (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't know if this photo shows problem.. I have a dark mark showing on ceiling of van along the metal strip. First thought was that there was a leak but it appears to be dry. Second thought is that maybe last owner tried to glue the metal strip even tighter to ceiling and made a mess.

Can I paint the ceiling and, if so, what with please?
20160702_211311.jpg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Do you know what the ceiling is made of Joy, ? Is it plastic coated or papered hardboard ...?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
possibly eggshell finish or bathroom paint usually works .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Do you know what the ceiling is made of Joy, ? Is it plastic coated or papered hardboard ...?
I would say papercoated hardboard but it seems better finished than that so maybe a plastic type paint .. sorry, I am rubbish at this.. think it hardboard with grey sort of paper on it.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am really sorry to say Joy, my fear is that it is damp, or at least was

personally I wouldn't paint it, research changing the roof panels first, it could look every bit as bad painted badly (y)

have you asked Terry what he thinks yet?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I would say papercoated hardboard but it seems better finished than that so maybe a plastic type paint .. sorry, I am rubbish at this.. think it hardboard with grey sort of paper on it.

Although @DavidG58 is right in saying that a replacement panel is best rather then painting I don't think it is damp, I've seen glue go like that before and turn a horrible brown colour.
Painting will be cheaper but it will look painted and once painted will need painting more frequently... But if you do then as mentioned an eggshell would be best ....(y)

Good luck...:)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Me being a natural born bodger, I would look at covering it with a bit of decorative trim tape..
Advantage being it is cheap, easy to do and if it does turn out to be a more serious problem can easily be removed

After thought..
Have you tried just cleaning it ? Perhaps use a drop of pure alcohol ( I use the stuff for all sorts nowadays after buying a bottle to clean off some tree sap.. It seems to work on all sorts of stuff ! )

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
The problem with most modern paints is that they are water based and are very poor at covering staining.Ther are some good stain blockers available but they give off nasty fumes! so you would need somewhere to sleep for a night or two.I did the ceilings in mothers bungalow with this.But you would need to check you could use it on plastic covered panels.

2016-07-03-09-26-33-1503430300.jpeg you can put it on with a roller

Last edited:
OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Me being a natural born bodger, I would look at covering it with a bit of decorative trim tape..
Advantage being it is cheap, easy to do and if it does turn out to be a more serious problem can easily be removed

After thought..
Have you tried just cleaning it ? Perhaps use a drop of pure alcohol ( I use the stuff for all sorts nowadays after buying a bottle to clean off some tree sap.. It seems to work on all sorts of stuff ! )

Hi John, Yes I tried to clean a little area ........... and made it look even worse, dirtier. :( .. Will think about the tape idea .... or better still just not look upwards ;)

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I don't want to scare you Joy but if it was me I would have someone with a damp meter check that out, it looks suspiciously like damp staining to me from your photo. I hope I am wrong.

We had a new Bessacar in 2009 that had a leak round one of the roof lights it was picked up by the dealer and fixed, the stain looked very similar when it appeared. But those nice people at Swift insisted we took it back to the factory and they re papered the roof, we were finding splodges of wallpaper paste on the cupboards for weeks after we got it back LOL.

Its some type of Vinyl wallpaper that's used.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I don't want to scare you Joy but if it was me I would have someone with a damp meter check that out, it looks suspiciously like damp staining to me from your photo. I hope I am wrong.

We had a new Bessacar in 2009 that had a leak round one of the roof lights it was picked up by the dealer and fixed, the stain looked very similar when it appeared. But those nice people at Swift insisted we took it back to the factory and they re papered the roof, we were finding splodges of wallpaper paste on the cupboards for weeks after we got it back LOL.

Its some type of Vinyl wallpaper that's used.

Thank you. Will get my damp meter on it when I get back home before I decide what to do.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Check it's not damp first, then how about covering it with vinyl wallpaper from somewhere like B&Q. I just re papered the bedroom in our van, nothing wrong with it, just wanted a plain colour. About £12 a roll from the above mentioned shop.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Terry .. It is the same stain I already showed you and you said ignore it. . But it grates me when I clean up so I thought I might paint it. I will put my damp meter on it and then decide if I can live eith it. I don't want to do anything that makes it look like a coverup job.. would rather just avoid looking at it :(

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If, starting at one end, you prise out that central plastic strip, that will give you access to the screws that hold the half round moulding on. Take that off then have a better look at things. The trim just covers the junction between the fabric type headlining in the cab area and the 'papered' ceiling of the hab area, they may even have run a couple of cables through it too. I doubt it's damp related though.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If same stain and I was not concerned. Then I will give it another look in a couple of weeks
You can always stencil flowers there to blend in with you're Hippie mate's
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back