can you drink the tap water in france ? (1 Viewer)

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
as recently as 20 years ago only 90% of tap water in france fully met the water purity norms

happily the EU stepped in and insisted that france should correct this or suffer big fines , and I am happy to report that any water supply that you cannot drink is now marked non potable ...it probably is potable , but if not regularly tested it has to be so marked

what has lead to this post ? well , this morning a white van man [ well , a little white van :Smile: ] knocked on my door with a sterile sample jar in one hand and a blowlamp in the other ....come to pass some water he said ...only joking !

he wanted to take a sample of the water , no problem I said ...but there was ; he wanted an all metal tap and most of mine have things like plastic ends in them
in the end I remembered that my summer kitchen has an old fashioned tap , so off we went ....he ran the water for a while , turned off , lit the blowlamp , heated the tap sufficiently to kill any germs contained therein , ran the water for a while and took a sample
he informed me that the sample would go to the lab for analysis , the results will be posted on the municipal notice board [ actually , all the results for france are posted on a website ] any problem and the water supplier has to leap into action ; only happened once her in 20 years due to a drought lowering the water table
frequency ? 3 times per annum ; each individual network has to be done , and he tries to pick a different sample point each time
of course , if you wish to pay for water in a bottle , feel free ; most of it here is just taken out of the same supply , just like in england ....eau de source they call it !
there are of course mineral waters from spa's , whether you think of them as polluted or health giving is again up to you

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
most of it here is just taken out of the same supply , just like in england ...

I'll have you know we have more than one !

I laugh every time I head for the Highlands of Scotland. There by the main road is a factory the size of a big aircraft hangar, green, with the name Highland Spring on it. It's way before the Highlands and there is no sign of any spring.

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
actually most of the water I drink in France comes in a bottle - has a bit of a funny colour and smell too, tastes ok at first, but it is dangerous - drink it too quickly and I fall over

but then, I often have that problem in the UK too

and Netherlands

and Belgium

and Spain

and Portugal

hhmmmmmmmm

is it me ?????????????

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
actually most of the water I drink in France comes in a bottle - has a bit of a funny colour and smell too, tastes ok at first, but it is dangerous - drink it too quickly and I fall over

but then, I often have that problem in the UK too

and Netherlands

and Belgium

and Spain

and Portugal

hhmmmmmmmm

is it me ?????????????

i get the same 'water' as you then....has the same effect too.:thumb:::bigsmile:

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
To my friends who enjoy a glass of wine...
And those who don't.

As Ben Franklin said:
In wine there is wisdom,
In beer there is freedom,
In water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials,
Scientists have demonstrated that if we drink
1 liter of water each day,
At the end of the year we would have absorbed
More than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. Coli) - bacteria
Found in feces.
In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.

However,
We do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer
(or tequila, rum, whiskey or other liquor)
Because alcohol has to go through a purification process
Of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.
Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid,
Than to drink water and be full of shit.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information:
I'm doing it as a public service!

Have A Good Day !!:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I laugh every time I head for the Highlands of Scotland. There by the main road is a factory the size of a big aircraft hangar, green, with the name Highland Spring on it. It's way before the Highlands and there is no sign of any spring.

I hear it is an Arab owned facility!!

OP
OP
L

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
kickstart ...you are having a laugh , aren't you ?

for a start , when the word bacteria was invented , franklin had been dead half a century

and pappajohn ....wonder why the consumption of wine in france has dropped by more than 60% in 30 years ..I now have french friends who won't drink french wine! when I tell them english people drink french wine they say it's because we don't know any better !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's way before the Highlands and there is no sign of any spring.

could be a very, very long horizontal borehole Brian.

the name and location mean nothing but the bottle contents MUST be the real thing......natural spring water.

the good stuff is labeled 'bottled at source' as the bottling plant is located at the spring.

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I would NEVER drink tap water in France without adding some strong anti bacterial agent such as proof Scotch Whiskey.:thumb::thumb:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
You can drink the tap water anywhere in the world, the only problem is, in some places it will kill you. I am another one that only drinks beer (or the local equivalent).

"I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it." W. C. Fields

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have drunk French tapwater for over 25 years whenever we are over the water and none of us have ever had a problem, most of it tastes at least as good as English tapwater. On all the sites we have been to the water is tested once a month and the results are usually posted up in the office, I have never seen similar in the UK.

Bill

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Vidiboy

Shame on you "Scotch Whiskey"

Must be some foreign muck and not a real whisky, like a low flier

Last edited:

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
always understood that it was

scotch whisky - or simply scotch

irish whiskey

:Blush: had a misspent youth working in the whisky bar in a pub called the swan :Blush:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We have lived in France for 5 years, and we always have and will continue to drink the tap water, we know of all the tests that take place in our small village, the only time we drink bottle water is when they are doing checks and if there is any cleaning of the system required...then they supply bottle water free charge for the village until the pipes are clear again...... I also read a article in the British newspaper saying that the French water was the safest cleanest water in Europe.......Mel in France

so it is ok to add a little french water to your whisky...

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I'll have you know we have more than one !

The springs are in the fields all around the processing plant (hanger).

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
French Water

The English invented beer because the water was undrinkable so I drink either beer or tea.

When in France as I dont particularly like wine or lager so I drink water or Tea, occasionally coffee and oft times cider. 'O' and obviously Scotch.

The only time I have had noticably different water was on Majorca wher I believe it was de-salinated and as presumably out of the Med de everthing else.

Steve

Haaamster

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Coventry and Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ducato CI 1000
Exp
The English invented beer because the water was undrinkable so I drink either beer or tea.

When in France as I dont particularly like wine or lager so I drink water or Tea, occasionally coffee and oft times cider. 'O' and obviously Scotch.

The only time I have had noticably different water was on Majorca wher I believe it was de-salinated and as presumably out of the Med de everthing else.

Steve

You mean the water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta :ROFLMAO:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
We have lived in France for 5 years, and we always have and will continue to drink the tap water, we know of all the tests that take place in our small village, the only time we drink bottle water is when they are doing checks and if there is any cleaning of the system required...then they supply bottle water free charge for the village until the pipes are clear again...... I also read a article in the British newspaper saying that the French water was the safest cleanest water in Europe.......Mel in France
so it is ok to add a little french water to your whisky...

You are very lucky Melvin. My wife has lived in Czechland for 5 years (I only visit for long holidays as I resfuse to say I live there:RollEyes:)

Anyway, no one in their right mind drinks the water from the taps in this part of Europe, doesn't matter what Brussels says, the water out of the taps has always been poluted, is currently poluted, and will continue to be poluted. There's no way the Czech water companies will ever be able to get clean water into their pipes, not in our lifetime anyway. Up to 1992 there was high levels of lead, agrichemicals, and even plutonium in the water :Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
when in france the best drink is adelscot beer . forget the water beer brewed with malt wisky i believe, the brown one is my favourite.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when in france the best drink is adelscot beer . forget the water beer brewed with malt wisky i believe, the brown one is my favourite.

Adelscott was the first beer flavored and coloured by peat-smoked whiskey malt.

adelscott.gif

hasnt any whiskey in it....only whiskey malt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back