Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok so im slowly building up the equipment needed before we use our Bessacarr E560 motorhome for the 1st time :)
After lots of reading and looking at levelers i have just bought a set of Milenco Quattro ramps.
Next on my list to get is Grip mats , now i know loads use old bread crates ^^ , but i am unable to get any so will have to splash the cash ......
I was originally looking at buying something like http://tracmat.com/index.php?
bu have decided that they would take up to much space and be to heavy to carry all the time , plus with me living in N.Ireland most suppliers do not post them to here , and any that do add on a small fortune.
So what other ones would my fellow fundsters recommend.
here a 2 that i seen people talk about.
Amazon product ASIN B003Q3FTG8
Or

Amazon product ASIN B00K2YT3P2
Sugestions :)

P.s with either of the both above i would probably buy 4 in total as they are not expensive.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Much of a muchness I would say.

Go for the cheaper ones.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I wouldn't say something like that is essential.

We've never needed, and don't carry, anything like it.

If you've got the space and the payload then I suppose it won't do any harm to lug them around but I wouldn't worry too much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@NickNic Ideally when possible we would like to wild camp , so you never know what ground we could be parking on,, so for me i would say best to have , just wanted peoples experiences of said products :)

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Google " sand ladders " ... 4x 1m will get you anywhere - well almost anywhere!
Thanks for that. I have just been trapped for almost 2 weeks.

We tried grip track, grip matts, digging out using a shovel and finally a manually winch tied to a tree 50 meters away. None worked on their own but the combination finally got me out after 1 and a half hours work.

This looks like the ideal solution for me.

I have only ever been stuck this one time in 10 years of motorhoming excluding rallies. But I am going to be spending more time on place like this so it is time to bite the bullet.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have used the yellow Millenco grip mats and found them next to useless. They were fine for resting the Folding Camper on, but no good for grip with the tow car let alone the MH. They didn't provide grip on really wet grass and soon were sent flying backwards when on very little revs. I still have them and use them under the rear wheels, but i have traction mats for the fronts. Recently I have bought the Grass Protection Mats but as yet not used them in anger. Both light weight and traction mats easy and light enough to carry 2 sets. Grass mats bulkier but still light weight to carry if you have the room.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
The following thread contains some suggested alternatives - http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/bread-crates.129973/ that you can purchase.
Thanks read that the other day, the pond grill looks like a good option , but wondered if it was made of a type of plastic that had a bit of flex in it,, otherwise it might just snap under the weight of my MH.

@Gromett they look nice but work out at £91 for me inc postage.
@Zigisla have you used the Traction mats much on wet grass

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Traction mats used on wet grass and a muddy tyre groove. :rolleyes: On grass use two in a row to get rolling then 2nd gear all the way out. Couldn't get out of the tyre groove though. :( Tractor pulled me out and onto the traction mats. (y)

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for that. I have just been trapped for almost 2 weeks.

We tried grip track, grip matts, digging out using a shovel and finally a manually winch tied to a tree 50 meters away. None worked on their own but the combination finally got me out after 1 and a half hours work.

This looks like the ideal solution for me.

I have only ever been stuck this one time in 10 years of motorhoming excluding rallies. But I am going to be spending more time on place like this so it is time to bite the bullet.
You could try sand ladders. I have 50mm thick bridging ladders but they are heavy and unnecessarily strong for mud or wet grass.
Reasonable price here: http://tracmat.com/index.php?id_category=13&controller=category

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Zigisla btw what Motorhome do you have that you found the Traction mats to work on

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I picked up some 35mm sand ladders identical to tracmats for £24 per pair plus £8 post on ebay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I picked up some 35mm sand ladders identical to tracmats for £24 per pair plus £8 post on ebay
@TheBig1 yar im pretty sure i seen the listing for them when i used google . they either never posted to N.Ireland or they had none left, unless im mistaken , if you still have your e.bay link share it please

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Here are some on the bay , but as per usual N.Ireland postage is not included ..

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have some thin Millenco ones and only seen them being used once - I wouldn't want to rely on them as they buckle too easily.

Bread crates are more substantial; I have put my Millenco ones in a vehicle that rarely gets anywhere near grass and put the bread crate cut downs into the MH.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
@joedeath332 sorry Trevor my supplier hasnt any stock at present. loads on ebay though, I presume at least 1 will post to NI

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Ours have been handy on 3 occaisions when we were stuck.

I also used them to help a daft Dutch motorhomer off a pitch in Normandy who was revving the guts out of his engine and spinning his wheels.

I didn't get as much as a thank you either, ignorant sod.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We bought grip mats years ago at a show. We used them once then dumped them as they didn't work. We now have a RWD but not for much longer sadly. We are buying another MH with a Fiat, in 3 weeks.. Not looking forward to the fear of getting stuck again.Can't always choose where to park. Especially on rallies.

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I bought Pyramid grip king mats three years ago but, fortunately, haven't needed to use them yet. I have mud & snow tyres fitted which may have helped (y)

Upvote 0

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
We have Fiamma Mats which are lightweight and easy to store. We use them a lot and they do work.

The trick is to assess the ground BEFORE you park up and park with your drive wheels on them.

We used ours last week when we were parked up near Glastonbury for a week. We arrived in the rain, the forecast wasn't great, we were parked on grass and we were going to be there a while so we parked with the rear wheels on the mats. After our stay we watched other motorhomes being towed off but we drove off with no problems. Yes the wheels had sunk a little bit we still had traction.

Every motorhome that parks on grass should carry them and pack some common sense as well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back