Bertie74

Free Member
Jul 2, 2016
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy our first!
Exp
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum as we are looking to make our first purchase! We are a family of five, and are therefore looking mainly at coachbuilt Luton types, and no more than 15k in price. There seems to be a lot about, and in wondering if anyone can recommend trusted dealers in the North West. Ive got lots of info about what to look for, but the reassurance of a good dealer who can be trusted would be a bonus. Any ideas would be gratefully received! Bert

OP
OP
B

Bertie74

Free Member
Jul 2, 2016
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum as we are looking to make our first purchase! We are a family of five, and are therefore looking mainly at coachbuilt Luton types, and no more than 15k in price. There seems to be a lot about, and in wondering if anyone can recommend trusted dealers in the North West. Ive got lots of info about what to look for, but the reassurance of a good dealer who can be trusted would be a bonus. Any ideas would be gratefully received! Bert

Sufficient payload for 5 people & their neccessities & 5 belted seats would be top of my list (y)

OP
OP
B

Bertie74

Free Member
Jul 2, 2016
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Exp
Yep cheers, it's amazing how many 5 and 6 berths are around with insuffucient belted seats! Thanks for the advice :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Also you need to be very careful about the weight and payload of 5/6 berth vehicles especially ones that claim to work at 3500kg. There are a few around but not many.

You will have far more choice over 3500kg but obviously there are licence considerations then.

Make sure you get a recent/new weigh bridge ticket for any vehicle you consider. Don't take the seller's word about weights.

OP
OP
B

Bertie74

Free Member
Jul 2, 2016
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks, there us a weigh bridge near us. Sounds a good plan!!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks, there us a weigh bridge near us. Sounds a good plan!!

Before you commit to buy the vehicle.

If the seller doesn't want to do it then that tells you all you need to know.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Hello and welcome, and good luck!

When you ask advice as regards type of MH and layout on here you will gets lots of advice:
The 'A' Classers will say that an 'A' Class is what you need.
The Coach builts will say it is a coach built you need.
The PVCs will say a PVC is best.
Add to that the fixed bedders, the 'u'shaped loungers, the silver screeners, the no silver screeners, the fill the drinking water before you goers, the fill your tank when you arrivers, wild-campers, only stay on site'rs, tour the continenters, the tour the UKers, the channel tunellers, the ferryers, etc. etc.

You will get loads of advice, but remember it's YOUR money you are spending, listen to the various opinions but in the end get what YOU want! :)

Have fun.

KH

gomotorhome

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
Hants
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Max weight is the thing that took me by surprise. As a total newbie I just imagined it was a type of vehicle, for license purposes, rather than a legal limit figure.

I'm learning fast.
It's now apparent to me that manufacturers can be "economical with the facts" regarding weight, and actual practicality, of their vehicles.

A passenger + their luggage can easily be 70-100Kg. Let's call it 80Kg per person. Let's say 100L of water on board as well

I'd say that, for a fully occupied 6 berth, you should assume 6x80Kg + 100Kg as a starting point. That's 580Kg and before you hang bikes off the back ..etc.

Personally I'm not that worried about the implications of a spot-check.
I'm more worried about my insurance company looking for any excuses in the event of a crash and the Police discovering the vehicle wasn't "Raid Worthy".
Potentially you could be in a lot of trouble.

A quick look at SWIFT's website shows their Escape 696 (6 Berth with 5 Travelling seats) has a Max User payload of <500Kg. (75Kg Driver and 90% of fuel tank already taken into account).
That gives you 485Kg for 4 passengers, Water tank contents and luggage.

I say "Economical with the Facts" because I really feel that a FULL fresh water tank and a FULL fuel tank should be assumed for the "Mass in Running Order" (MRO) figure.
In all likelihood that is how most Motorhomes will set off for a journey.
That knocks the payload down to <400Kg for 4 passengers (less with a Lardy driver..such as me).
I suggest that SWIFT (not just SWIFT) know that's cutting it fine.

Weighbridge every time for me.

Once unladen
Once fully-loaded + a bit more, just to err on the safe side.

Am I being unfair on the manufacturers here? I'm a newbie and it surprised me just how small the payload can be on some large vehicles.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Hello and welcome, and good luck!

When you ask advice as regards type of MH and layout on here you will gets lots of advice:
The 'A' Classers will say that an 'A' Class is what you need.
The Coach builts will say it is a coach built you need.
The PVCs will say a PVC is best.
Add to that the fixed bedders, the 'u'shaped loungers, the silver screeners, the no silver screeners, the fill the drinking water before you goers, the fill your tank when you arrivers, wild-campers, only stay on site'rs, tour the continenters, the tour the UKers, the channel tunellers, the ferryers, etc. etc.

You will get loads of advice, but remember it's YOUR money you are spending, listen to the various opinions but in the end get what YOU want! :)

Have fun.

KH
You missed out RV's. Ours sleeps 6, seats 10 and has 6 belted seats with 1600kg payload. Bloody big though........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back