Reservation confirmation (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Can anyone tell me if most of the sites on the continent use online reservations or are most of them so big that it's more likely to be a case of just turn up, pay and park up?

I filled in the online booking form for a site in Luxembourg but haven't had any email confirmations yet. I tried phoning but keep getting an answer machine.

Starting to worry that i'll go over there and find they haven't space.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For sure some don't take much trouble with their emails.

Book, when are you going, Aug can be iffy. But the good news, you'll not end up sleeping in a doorway.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't know the answer to your question, but unless you really need to be in the exact place for a while don't worry, there are loads of aires, that said I only have experience out of season, cant think of anything worse than August in France

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Depends when you are going. If late July or August somewhere popular then a reservation would be sensible. The rest of the year, just turn up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I arrive on the 6th July. There is another site close by so I have options and like @hilldweller says I wont be stuck for somewhere to get some kip. Would obviously like the added extras of a nice site though. Time will tell I suppose.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can only speak from when I lived in France but for most you don't have to book. If you pull into one and its full, they'll probably know where to send you.
If one Aire is full, drive on to the next village. You can park up anywhere were you're not blocking a driveway/field entrance. In villages there's usually a car park you can stay on overnight. Buy some croissants, maybe a coffee the next morning and no one will complain--- just make sure there's no Market here tomorrow signs up, or you will have a VERY early wake up!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I can only speak from when I lived in France but for most you don't have to book. If you pull into one and its full, they'll probably know where to send you.
If one Aire is full, drive on to the next village. You can park up anywhere were you're not blocking a driveway/field entrance. In villages there's usually a car park you can stay on overnight. Buy some croissants, maybe a coffee the next morning and no one will complain--- just make sure there's no Market here tomorrow signs up, or you will have a VERY early wake up!

Thanks, what exactly are these aire things that I keep hearing about?

Upvote 0

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Other than in August it is rare to find full sites....and if you do they will always help you
to find somewhere else....enjoy.

Upvote 0

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I think your question is IF you have booked do you get confirmation. Speaking from my own experience I have always received a confirmation when I have booked, whether in Uk or Europe so I would make every effort to ensure they have received your booking. Check what email address you gave them if you can you could have had finger trouble and they may have replied but to an incorrect address. Out of interest which site in Luxembourg have you chosen? I just stayed at Camping Kockelscheuer, on the outskirts of Luxembourg city and it was excellent only 19 Euors a night

Upvote 0
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I think your question is IF you have booked do you get confirmation. Speaking from my own experience I have always received a confirmation when I have booked, whether in Uk or Europe so I would make every effort to ensure they have received your booking. Check what email address you gave them if you can you could have had finger trouble and they may have replied but to an incorrect address. Out of interest which site in Luxembourg have you chosen? I just stayed at Camping Kockelscheuer, on the outskirts of Luxembourg city and it was excellent only 19 Euors a night

Yes it is camping Kockelscheuer. Did you book first? I have checked the email address and it was the correct one I gave them. Tried phoning and just get a recorded message but obviously can't understand what they are saying. Any other tips for staying there? I am really looking forward to it, it's my first trip abroad in the camper.

Upvote 0

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Yes I booked first and received confirmation. The email address they replied to me on was caravani@pt.lu . Phone number on their invoice is +352 47 18 15 Really easy to find just 1KM off the A6 but you have to join the A4 then the red 4 to get to it. Bus into the city at the end of the road (across the main road). Take the city tour bus if you have time it will cement/kill any thoughts you ever had that we should remain in the EU. so many European Commission buildings and employees incredible!!!!! Also try and find the small train that tours the city it is fun and informative. We were advised to visit the Region Mullerthal, which is known as little Switzerland. Its about 30KM from the city and Echternach-Berdorf and Blumenthal-Larochette look worth visits.

Site toilets are very clean and plentiful. the site has little other than a Tv room and small shop that isn't open very long during the day. the golf club next door apparently has a restaurant but we didn't try it.

Have fun we would stay again

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Can anyone tell me if most of the sites on the continent use online reservations or are most of them so big that it's more likely to be a case of just turn up, pay and park up?

I filled in the online booking form for a site in Luxembourg but haven't had any email confirmations yet. I tried phoning but keep getting an answer machine.

Starting to worry that i'll go over there and find they haven't space.

Hi !
Can you give me their phone number , I'll see if I can get any proper answer, just as a piece of info for any other funster trying the same site . Please give me your full name or e-mail address you gave them, on a PM (INBOX , upper tool bar, next to your username, right hand side , then click on "start a New conversation").

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Edit : Whoops didn't see the previous post giving the phone number. Will have a go but still need your name or email address to get them check !

Re Edit:

I 've had the owner online. He says , all confirmations have been sent, except to one person in south France.
So you might have done something wrong with the online file.
Either you do it again, or I get in touch with him again and can do it for you with of course you full details so he can come back to you!He has now my email address, as we've done a test to make sure all works fine.

Up to you now if you want me to help !:);)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
They are specific parking for Motorhomes located in lots of villages and towns usually free, see Vicarious books "All The Aires " a good guid with all the details you need or Camper Contact App

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s

These aires are not campsites. They are parking areas for motorcaravans, where you are allowed to stay for a limited time, sometimes only 48 or even 24 hours.

There are usually water supply, waste water and chemical toilet emptying points, but no toilet/shower blocks, washing facilities etc. Electricity is usually not available. Also awnings, windbreaks, and even outside tables and chairs are usually not permitted. Some are free, some charge only for the water/electricity, and some charge per day.

If you are self-sufficient they are a perfectly good option, especially en-route to a more distant destination. They vary considerably, from a car park with a tap and grid to a marina parking area with shower, electricity, shop and restaurant.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back