ALDI GENERATOR (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
I realise generators are a love/hate them topic, but we're looking for something to just tide us over until finances allow for solar panels, extra battery & possibly an inverter. Also we really want to use the van a bit more before adding lots of extras.
What I'd like to ask is - would this be an ok temporary stopgap for occasional use of (I'm whispering this) a hairdryer and also to charge a laptop? Or do you think it's throwing good money down the drain?
Broken Link Removed

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Get SOLAR or park a long long way from us lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like it is a two stroke so it will be bloody noisy just don't camp within 5 miles of anyone.
You could fit a 100watt solar panel for a lot less.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The spec; looks decent and the d-b rating is within the range of most modern ones. So long as you are not running it 24/7 on site, ie, just long enough to do a job and not all day watching the telly!. Then sited properly it should be OK. I have personally taken issue with people who run them for hours on end. I have a old (first generation Honda) of 1980`s vintage which powers the charger for SWMBO`s mobility aids (and the hair drier!!). Which Solar on it`s own will not do! Minimum £150 for one panel and the controller, which will struggle to charge, even maintain, batteries in a UK winter.

Edited Update:- I have a 100W solar panel, but the output will not support the use of a Charger with sufficient capacity to recharge a Mobility scooter, hence the Genny. A roof top of Panels MIGHT just???. But not in a UK winter!.

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
The spec; looks decent and the d-b rating is within the range of most modern ones. So long as you are not running it 24/7 on site, ie, just long enough to do a job and not all day watching the telly!. Then sited properly it should be OK. I have personally taken issue with people who run them for hours on end. I have a old (first generation Honda) of 1980`s vintage which powers the charger for SWMBO`s mobility aids (and the hair drier!!). Which Solar on it`s own will not do! Minimum £150 for one panel and the controller, which will struggle to charge, even maintain, batteries in a UK winter.

Pete

Thanks for that. It really would only be for occasional use and more likely when we're in the middle of nowhere. If I were on a site it would hopefully be with EHU so wouldn't need or use it.

Solar panels, extra batteries, inverter plus the fitting of them all would i'd imagine cost a thousand pound plus.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Thanks for that. It really would only be for occasional use and more likely when we're in the middle of nowhere. If I were on a site it would hopefully be with EHU so wouldn't need or use it.

Solar panels, extra batteries, inverter plus the fitting of them all would i'd imagine cost a thousand pound plus.[/QUOTE]

Cost us around £500 all in all there are bargains out there and easy to fix your self loads of info on here and a great bunch of funsters to advice try pricing it up and see x Kate

Cost us around £500 all in all there are bargains out there and easy to fix your self loads of info on here and a great bunch of funsters to advice try pricing it up and see x Kate

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Looks like it is a two stroke so it will be bloody noisy just don't camp within 5 miles of anyone.

Not that I'm a lover of Gennys but I don't see anything in the specs that point to it being a 2 stroker, what made you think it was please?

D.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
100wat solars are on ebay for about 80 quid . get three of them a few lengths of ally angle or plastic angle . a reg for about 15 quid . a few cables and connectors . you hardly spend much more than the price of the genny. and quietness rules .

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Not that I'm a lover of Gennys but I don't see anything in the specs that point to it being a 2 stroker, what made you think it was please?

D.

You beat me to it Dave. Nothing that I can see suggests it's a two stroke.

Ian

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if your going to get a genny get a diesel one . mines that load after 15 minutes your deaf so cant hear it .
its lovely if someone starts a small genny . i start mine and they soon go away . hee hee .

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015

Ian

I've just looked at the add again and it says comes with oil bottle thingy. so maybe that means it's two stroke.
Is two stroke not good then?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The noise levels are as good as some of the quietest gennys excluding Hondas of course.

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
100wat solars are on ebay for about 80 quid . get three of them a few lengths of ally angle or plastic angle . a reg for about 15 quid . a few cables and connectors . you hardly spend much more than the price of the genny. and quietness rules .

Ye, but have only got one battery, and no inverter - so how am I gonna plug the 'air dryer in?
Also although OH is very handy at diy and could probably do it, he would need talking through it lol.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

D.

Look to me like a "Clone" of the Honda EU20i?. that has a 4 stroke?

I am off to Aldi tomorrow, I will have a Nosey!. Aw! poo! just re-read the advert it`s Online only!

Pete

Last edited:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I've just looked at the add again and it says comes with oil bottle thingy. so maybe that means it's two stroke.
Is two stroke not good then?

Two strokes are very noisy and smoky!

These (4 stroke) generators have quite small sumps so you do have to keep an eye on the oil levels - hence the provision of a small top up bottle.

I think that if it was a two stroke it would probably have said so.

Ian

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes you would require inverter . its a hard life .
its a hard decision . mind easier now . solar is as cheap as it is .
the genny wouldnt be wasted . just is it big enough long term . i have loads of solar but do carry a 2.8 kw genny for emergency welding jobs etc .
it as come in usefull a few times .
if you do end up with solar the genny is another garage item that you never know do you sell or keep.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
its 4 stroke-"runs on unleaded petrol" however the noise level is shown as 69db more than 7mtrs away -( how much further away) as @Ambilkate says -don't park next to me :eek:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As long as you use it thoughtfully don't be put off by genny haters as you said you will be mindful of others.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

D.

Ian

its 4 stroke-"runs on unleaded petrol" however the noise level is shown as 69db more than 7mtrs away -( how much further away) as @Ambilkate says -don't park next to me :eek:
I have no doubt its a four stroke but why supply an oil bottle and oil funnel..?
That could be where the assumption it's a striker came from.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Only fault I can see.....it's a fixed throttle, flat out or nothing.
Unusual for an inverter genny.
Light loads only need a light throttle which only a smart throttle can give and obviously results in better economy.

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Look to me like a "Clone" of the Honda EU20i?. that has a 4 stroke?

I am off to Aldi tomorrow, I will have a Nosey!. Aw! poo! just re-read the advert it`s Online only!

Pete

Thanks anyway Dave.
Two strokes are very noisy and smoky!

These (4 stroke) generators have quite small sumps so you do have to keep an eye on the oil levels - hence the provision of a small top up bottle.

I think that if it was a two stroke it would probably have said so.

Ian

Just spoke to OH offshore and he said don't buy it if it's two stroke, as like you said they're smokey and will probably become illegal like the lawn mowers??

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

D.
Low oil level indicator
& automatic cut out if oil level low.
Sounded like a two stroke with separate oil tank, or if a 4 stroke and they expect it to use loads of oil doesn't sound good.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
the kit to install solar panels will cost you less than the generator(y)

Can you point me to where I can get a 100w solar panel fitted for less than £270 please.
Not interested in a generator but contemplating solar after my recent battery woes - I can only see prices about double that.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Low oil level indicator
& automatic cut out if oil level low.
Sounded like a two stroke with separate oil tank, or if a 4 stroke and they expect it to use loads of oil doesn't sound good.
Cheap Chinese engines usually use oil.
Internal tolerances are generally pretty crap so oil will get past the piston rings and valve stems.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Can you point me to where I can get a 100w solar panel fitted for less than £270 please.
Not interested in a generator but contemplating solar after my recent battery woes - I can only see prices about double that.

if you check out prices on e bay you can buy the bits(kit) to install the solar yourself. If you cant do it yourself or find a friend to do it then yes you will pay more(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back