Free Member
May 2, 2016
sale cheshire
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle 686
Exp
10 years
Hiya all. Hoping to spend 3 weeks in Europe this summer ending up at lake Garda myself wife and two boys ( 11 14) hope to spend about 10 days at Garda and 11 getting there and back. Boys love swimming water slide ect. Any suggestions on routes 'sites. Ps not booked any sites at Garda Iam I to late?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Your timings seem about right for a leisurely drive each way. Once you get there you will find that you want to stay longer. You will also find yourself going back next year (y)

Get your site booked as soon as possible. They will be full soon if they aren't already.

We're staying at Camping Cappucini in Peschiera del Garda (again). It's the only campsite in the world so far that I will willingly stay at.

I've also heard that Camping Butterfly is good but have never stayed there.

There's also Camping bella Italia which is huge and my idea of hell but leaving it this late to book they are more likely to have space than any of the smaller ones.

Route wise we just take the motorways down through France to Chamonix where we stop for a couple of days and then go through the Mont Blanc tunnel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Will be leaving last weekend in July ( bad time? )

No but get somewhere booked as soon as possible if not sooner.

If you get really stuck then there is a big car park type aire at Peschiera but 10 days there might be pushing it.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Does that route use many tolls?

Which route?

My one has about (from memory) €20 - €25 of motorway tolls and the Mont Blanc tunnel is €54. There was one in Italy near Milan but it was insignificant, €3 or something like that.

No idea about the Phil's route other than you would need to either buy a vignette (€40) or pay the HVF (€32.50) depending on your weight for the Switzerland part of the journey.

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
expect heat heat heat lol

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Numerous queries and responses re Lake Garda can be found by trawling through here - it's a popular destination: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/forums/italy.280/

I should add that the great Italy enthusiast Judge Mental is sadly no longer with us, but it's good to see his comments and travel advice still benefiting others.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
From another post recently I got the impression mont blanc tunnel was really expensive ? I suppose website will give costs but can't look at moment a work !

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
From another post recently I got the impression mont blanc tunnel was really expensive ? I suppose website will give costs but can't look at moment a work !

Last year we were charged €54. (Looks like €57 this year) That's the class 2 rate. Technically we're class 3 but have never been charged anything other than class 2 on any toll.

Taking the alternative route through Switzerland is very similar in terms of time and distance and still requires either a vignette or the HVF and stopovers in Switzerland are usually expensive.

If you are going to go through Switzerland without stopping then yes, I suppose it's €15-20 cheaper. If you plan on stopping overnight then it would almost certainly work out more expensive.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It was a few years ago we took this route. However, from memory, it was toll free through all of France and Belgium (You can pay the toll from Metz to Strazbourg on the A4, or take the toll free A31, N39).
We purchased a Swiss Vignette (online) prior to our departure and paid for Tolls on Italian motorways (preferred option for most, if not all).
We timed our journey so we entered Basel first thing in the morning after a nights rest and made one overnight stop on a motorway service station, along with other motor homes at no cost.
If you choose this route, brim your tank before the Swiss boarder as fuel in Italy is expensive.
Our destination was Lake Iseo, two hours from Lake Garda but the route would be the same.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Cheers Phil does that route go though Luxembourg ?
Yes! Brim with fuel before departing and save a substantial amount of money. (we Left home with half a fuel tank to get us to the Auchen supermarket service station just north of Dunkerque then judged the amount of fuel required to get us to Luxembourg and then brimmed, overall made a big saving).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
blueneil

blueneil

Free Member
May 2, 2016
sale cheshire
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle 686
Exp
10 years
It was a few years ago we took this route. However, from memory, it was toll free through all of France and Belgium (You can pay the toll from Metz to Strazbourg on the A4, or take the toll free A31, N39).
We purchased a Swiss Vignette (online) prior to our departure and paid for Tolls on Italian motorways (preferred option for most, if not all).
We timed our journey so we entered Basel first thing in the morning after a nights rest and made one overnight stop on a motorway service station, along with other motor homes at no cost.
If you choose this route, brim your tank before the Swiss boarder as fuel in Italy is expensive.
Our destination was Lake Iseo, two hours from Lake Garda but the route would b

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes! Just checked online myself and edited my post accordingly. It's gone up quite a bit LOL

If you're only going for a short trip - less than 10 days in Switzerland in the year - it's actually cheaper to be over 3.5t and pay the HVF.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Leaving lake Garda tomorrow for Lake Maggiore then through Gotthard Tunnel, Switzerland, Mulhouse, Luxenburg to Dunkirk for the 9th July.
Any recommendation for sites on Lake Maggiore and also in Switzerland for stopover.
Colin

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We did LG a few years back and loved it, we did the crossing to Zeebrugge and then drove down through Luxembourg, Germany and Austria all Toll free unless you use the Benniar Pass (spelling might not be correct).
On the way down we stopped at Ulm and Nattersee which is just outside Innsbruck lovely town for a day out and one of the best campsites we have used.
We booked our site at LG through the CC and saved a good bit, we actually turned up 2 days early as the rain started in Austria and tried over 20 campsite on the way down the lake with no joy, ended up phoning the one we had booked and got in there campsite was Camping Sanfresco. From LG its so easy to visit places like Verona and Venice on the train.
Also would recommend Gardaland for the kids.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Heading that way on 28th July with a stop over in Annecy on the way(y)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're going in a couple of weeks. Stopping at Chamonix on the way and will be at Garda on the 20th.

Splitting the time between Garda and Iseo this time.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Iseo is stunning.

P1040173.JPG
P1040197.JPG
P1040233.JPG
P1040247.JPG
P1040266.JPG

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Leaving lake Garda tomorrow for Lake Maggiore then through Gotthard Tunnel, Switzerland, Mulhouse, Luxenburg to Dunkirk for the 9th July.
Any recommendation for sites on Lake Maggiore and also in Switzerland for stopover.
Colin
Try camping conca doro at Feriola on lake Maggiore stopped there a few times fantastic site, also camping international Giswil in Switzerland on lake good site we are heading back to Garda this year late July early August also stopping on camping Cappuccini for the first time stopped at butterfly which is a good site and also San Francisco which was also good can't wait

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back