Reversing bleepers, are they legal? (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2008
Funster No
At the Lincoln Show people were buying for about £2-50 a replacement lamp which had a beeper built in for their reversing lights.I understood these beepers were illegal on smaller vehicles and also couldn't be used after certain hours at night, am I wrong again ???:Blush::Blush:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think you will find not to be fitted to lightvehicles under 2tonor to motor cars. also not to be used brtween 11.30pm and 7.00am.
can be fitted to passenger carryingvehicles with over 9 seats
hope that helps .they will sell you anything thesedays nobody cares. cheers alan.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Does that mean I can't reverse between 11:30 pm and 7:00am?

How does it stand legally if you're reversing, Hypothetically, at that time of night and you hit someone,,, because they didn't see you coming.....Reversing lights working ok of course?:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Always possible if the person hit is partially sighted or has no sight at all.Say in a 24 hour supermarket car park....

Just wondered whether it has actually happened.In these days of litigation and placing the blame
:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Properly installed bleepers fitted to HGVs are cancelled when the lights are turned on.

Just imagine the noise in ASDA if everyone had bleepers fitted,any blind person would be totaly confused

Stroudwaterboy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one currently
Exp
10 years
There seem to be some interesting conceptions here.

Yes if you consider them to be a warning instrument then they must be off between 23:30 and 07:00.

There seems to be some suggestion that if you have reversing bleepers and hit someone when reversing it mitigates your responsibilty, not sure how this can work, my wife is deaf and yes she is more careful when crossing the road or a car park but does this mean that drivers can ignore her?

These are a good idea but not a replacement for good driving, as was pointed out at a local inquest recently.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
AHA!

I recently bought, and fitted, one of those 'blind spot' mirrors, the type that looks down. Now being sold for fitting to rear of typically people movers etc I wanted it for the offside front of Winne looking down, left hooker remember, for that bit of extra vision/confidence, and because being sold for rear use came with two of them beepy reversing light thingys.

I have a cunning plan, I wanted to fit an additional reversing light low down on Winne just in case of night reversing, lets face most reversing light are pretty usless, especially when they are 28ft behind you. New plan, fit two. one fully automated (comes on in reverse) but one that I could manualy switch off, with a beeper in it. Logic, general reversing these beepers are annoying, like on a camp site, after dark etc etc but have the ability to envoke one when needed actually appeals. Had to do a three point turn into a car park entrance and dispite reverss lights on the amount of numpties who still insisted on walking behind me:Eeek:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
this is an interesting thread and it may explain an issue we have with our car.

We have a Toyota Prius and this has a reversing beeper..... but it can only be heard inside the car. What bl@@dy use is that ?

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I saw those bleeping bleepers at Lincoln and my first thought was " there goes my morning lie in when some smart bleeeeeeper reverses out of their pitch"!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When we bought the RV it had one fitted.. it was soon disconnected...

how NOT to win friends and influence people.. should be banned from motorhomes.

jim

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
I've had them fitted to my motorhome for over 18 months now - if every other B** can race around,revving up without anything being done, then I'm sure I'll risk imprisionment for for having these fitted - anyway they are not that loud.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Our bin wagon has a beeper fitted, it works before 7:00 a.m.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have driven bin wagons etc usually have a switch to turn it off. as for kerb mirrors they have been around for years .legal requirment on newish trucks. the mirrors for reversing seem to have come over with the japanese people carriers. but but a proper kerb mirror usually very cheap in truck places. campers if under 3,5ookg it is ilegal to have reverse beepers. best always get someone to watch saves alot of bother usually.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
As most of you know I work for the local council and my car is fitted with a reversing beeper (beeper cancels if you select reverse twice) there is also a strobe light fitted to the rear and a flashing orange magnetic bar on the roof as my job is to visit all the schools in Cornwall.

Being deaf myself and a signer (BSL) I visit the deaf schools also and they are a great warning instument.

All this by the way is fitted to a Peugeot 307 car.

My last motorhome was fitted with a reversing beeper which I found to be one of the best accessories :Smile:

Boo

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
think you will find not to be fitted to lightvehicles under 2tonor to motor cars. also not to be used brtween 11.30pm and 7.00am.
can be fitted to passenger carryingvehicles with over 9 seats
hope that helps .they will sell you anything thesedays nobody cares. cheers alan.

Ive got one fitted on my mobility scooter,definitely lighter than 2 tonne:ROFLMAO:

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
We've had our old BMW estate from a year old, its now 13 years old and still going strong complete with bleeper - after all this time I don't think I could reverse without one! However I am not sure if you hear it outside very much, the bleep sound seems to come from the dashboard - now theres a technical reply!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Whilst I am sure the legal bit says they are a no no, the reality is that those particular bleepers are hardly going to waken the dead.. in fact they would be hard pushed to waken a highly strung cat with hearing aids fitted

They are just loud enough to attract the attention of those not completely comatose to your presence..

Any decent police officer ( and believe me most out there are ! ) will see them as a simple accident device which may save a pedestrian related accident and would certainly not be interested in giving your a producer or rectification notice for having one fitted :Smile:

And nooo,, they are not covered by any MOT regulations, merely use and construction rules :Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Properly installed bleepers fitted to HGVs are cancelled when the lights are turned on.

Just imagine the noise in ASDA if everyone had bleepers fitted,any blind person would be totaly confused

Cheers Ian....I wasn't aware of that.

With these units that would not be possible.:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Always possible if the person hit is partially sighted or has no sight at all.Say in a 24 hour supermarket car park....

Just wondered whether it has actually happened.In these days of litigation and placing the blame:Doh:

one thing confusing me steve,

why would a totaly blind, completely sightless person be in a supermarket car park without a 'seeing eye' person.

they cant 'see' the goods to be buying and they certainly cant drive...or do they have a clever, driving dog. ::bigsmile:

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Reversing widgets

I understand reverse beepers can cause confusion to blind people if you decide to reverse near a pedestrian crossing. But who would?
Our van is fitted with a verbal warning which I cannot switch off and it can be embarrassing but I consider the safety considerations outweigh the slight inconvenience.

Most places require you to drive with lights on now, so beepers that switch off when lights are on will become pointless and I would have thought they were more essential in the dark, help to keep the drunks etc out of the way.

Steve

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
one thing confusing me steve,

why would a totaly blind, completely sightless person be in a supermarket car park without a 'seeing eye' person.

they cant 'see' the goods to be buying and they certainly cant drive...or do they have a clever, driving dog. ::bigsmile:

I have seen a few people around our local supermarket with dogs.I assume they are trained to look out for vehicles etc.Just thought I'd post it as a possible situation as it doesn't matter if they shop late as it is less crowded,

Those beepers must drive them mad.:Doh:The shop assistants walk around with them assisting their purchases.

I guess you are right though.

Most probably have someone around outside.

It's good for their independence though.Very often see guide dogs assisting their owners in the City.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back