Is Alde heating clever enough to save my gas (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am really bad at forgetting to turn off my Alde system when leaving non hook up pitches

Yet again this weekend I have done so, had it on for water heating and a little comfort warm up on Saturday night at Misterton

Came home, hooked up and forgot to turn gas option off on Alde, I leave gas valves open all the time

So my question is, when on hook up with Alde set to gas and electric, will it take both options, or revert to the electric. I do know the heating will run off both at same time and we need it when really cold outside to get over 20C, but not sure if the water bit is any different?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Looks like I should have read the book before posting, will have a look at that tomorrow, cant think where that would be set, mine is an 07 build, so knowing my luck it was brought in soon after mine was made

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As far as I remember (which usually isn't much :() Alde is programmed to favour mains hook up over gas.
If mains is available it will switch over, so yes, it is clever enough to save your gas.

Richard.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think it might depend on which controller you have, the later electronic ones have a "prio" setting that is user programmable. Ours has the old panel with slider switches but my guess is that it will give priority to 240 volt and only join in with the gas if the mains can't cope.

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We do have one of the too clever for their own good electronic controllers, I will have a better look at the instructions, but it does sound like it might avoid gas when on hook up, except as Martin suggests it cant cope, certainly this applies to the heating as we have proved. Don't think it should ever apply to the water heating unless we find very low AC volts somewhere (y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Press the right hand button and then if you have the fancy touchscreen touch the spanner then touch the Prio and then touch the side arrows which will scroll from "lightning bolt - gas flame" I leave mine on electricity priority all de-damn time.

......and whilst I'm on your post David thank you so much for the photography at Misterton, Bleddy Well Done!..... Griff

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Don't forget to drain down the water in the boiler every now and again.
As usual I hadn't read the instructions (who does?) until we had a problem with a hot water pipe bursting. It was only after that that I read that the boiler requires an air cushion to stop over pressurising. It should be drained down and re-filled on occasions to replace the air cushion.
I now do ours every few months or after a long trip just to make sure.
Details are in the manual but I've never heard it mentioned or discussed on forums or anywhere else.

Richard.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have a feeling Alde fit a different controller into every unit they sell, seems that way at least I am yet to see 2 the same anyway

I will have a prod and poke and maybe even a read later, it would be a great feature as I am always leaving the gas on and Alde set to gas when off hook up

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Don't forget to drain down the water in the boiler every now and again.
As usual I hadn't read the instructions (who does?) until we had a problem with a hot water pipe bursting. It was only after that that I read that the boiler requires an air cushion to stop over pressurising. It should be drained down and re-filled on occasions to replace the air cushion.
I now do ours every few months or after a long trip just to make sure.
Details are in the manual but I've never heard it mentioned or discussed on forums or anywhere else.

Richard.
As you say "not a lot of people know that" did ours a couple of months back but it would not drain without letting air in the top by way of the little valve that you have to push in or pull out, I talked the Alde guys at Peterborough about it and they were very helpfull.

Martin

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As you say "not a lot of people know that" did ours a couple of months back but it would not drain without letting air in the top by way of the little valve that you have to push in or pull out, I talked the Alde guys at Peterborough about it and they were very helpfull.

Martin
Oh. that could be why I never seem to get much water out.
I can't see where all the pipes go to and come from because they are all in the void between the floors. There are two cocks side by side to open, one says boiler (or similar) and is in a hot pipe, the other just says drain and is cold (blue pipe). I assume the blue is just to drain down the fresh water in the pipes from the taps.
Any way I turn the pump off, open both drain cocks, plus taps and wait for the dribble to stop.
Can you tell me where this 'little valve' is please Martin or else I will have to revert to 'plan b' and dig out the instruction book again.
Reading the manual twice would really be letting the side down.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Oh. that could be why I never seem to get much water out.
I can't see where all the pipes go to and come from because they are all in the void between the floors. There are two cocks side by side to open, one says boiler (or similar) and is in a hot pipe, the other just says drain and is cold (blue pipe). I assume the blue is just to drain down the fresh water in the pipes from the taps.
Any way I turn the pump off, open both drain cocks, plus taps and wait for the dribble to stop.
Can you tell me where this 'little valve' is please Martin or else I will have to revert to 'plan b' and dig out the instruction book again.
Reading the manual twice would really be letting the side down.
If I show you a picture you might recognise it, its near the top of the boiler. marked with an arrow on the picture, I think you push in the bit at the end.

And yes I think you will be right about it being red ours has three drain taps hot and cold which are both pump pressure and the there is one which is just to drain the cold tank, I find the hot and cold ones handy when I want hot/cold water outside.

photo.JPG

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sounds complicated Little job for flower show weekend Martin? @funflair

Dont need it at the moment though, 40C here in Central Spain - dont want to moan but its DAMN hot!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back