Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
A couple of months ago we got a Macbook Air and I don't think we will ever consider another laptop ever again; it's simply brilliant so fast and easy to use.

I'm now being tempted by another Apple product...the iPhone!

Have had loads of mobiles over the years, more recently a couple of Samsungs...current model is an S3 which I've had for a couple of years. As a phone it's fine...on current 3g or WIFI it's pretty crappy to be honest and now seems to be slower than ever despite not having very many apps on the go. I also find it too big and not very convenient to slip into the pocket.

It seems to me you do get something technically ahead of the game with Apple products.

I was quite tempted by a used iPhone 5s; various outlets in town where I could trade in my S3 and pick up an unlocked model for what seems reasonable prices. I'm a bit concerned about security though going down that route, both with what I'm considering buying and even more so my old phone.

I like the look and feel of the iPhone se...would still continue on my payg sim with '3' at the moment.

After some guidance :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think you need to compare like for like. the S3 is now pretty dated. Samsung has some very good products and Three has 4g as standard. Test a few up to date phones from both makers and make a choice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I adopted apple with the 4s and now have had the 6 after Jacs offered to upgrade me and her take my 5s. I cannot fault them at all.
My rebellious daughter went down the Samsung route but came to regret it and now has the 6s plus.

Expensive yes

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We've gone along the Apple road for a few years now. We have an old MacBook, an old iPad and we both have more up-to-date iPhones. In all honesty I don't have much experience of other modern phones or tablets and not had a Windows device for a long time so comparisons maybe unfair.
We find the comparability between all the devices really useful. A photo of grand_daughter taken by our son arrives automatically in our album. Our music can be shared, they're safe, easy to use, good looking, good range of apps....but maybe that goes for all phones nowadays (though my uncle has a nightmare with his Samsung).
On the other hand they're quite expensive and Apple release upgraded at very frequent intervals, not sure if that's good or not.
On balance we're very happy with Apple. When we next upgrade it will be along the same road.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Also I have recently switched to using my iPhone with google navigation exclusively as a sat nav and consigned all other devices to the bottom drawer. I can initiate navigation without even touching it simply by asking Siri to get directions to while on the move and within seconds it picks up your position and commences the route.
So the cost is offset against other sat navs.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Also I have recently switched to using my iPhone with google navigation exclusively as a sat nav and consigned all other devices to the bottom drawer. I can initiate navigation without even touching it simply by asking Siri to get directions to while on the move and within seconds it picks up your position and commences the route.
Yes, I have a pioneer Appradio in the van and simply use Apple maps as guidance now

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My partner loves her iPhone 6 and I love my Samsung. Just adding up the immediate family totals. Eight Samsung and two iPhones. All amazingly happy with their phones. None were restricted through cost it is just their own preference. I really like my partners iPhone and I am in the market for an upgrade but wouldn't change to Apple yet. I think it will be more of the same.(y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What a fantastic facility this is, I use nothing else. Speech recognition never fails to amaze me. I don't tend to use the keyboard any more. Dont like to say this but I find my speech recognition slightly better than my partners iPhone...;)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I have an iphone6 for phone, iMac as home PC. Also 3 iPads!!! 1 i use as my personal iPad the other 2, 1 is just for all the music so I can use with any speaker without using a lot of the memory on my phone or personal i pad. I have just upgraded this one so my old iPad, which I was offered £85 for, I decided to keep & intend to try it out as just a Sat Nav for the van.
Sounds excessive and I am still trying to sort them all out as to which apps stay on which device.
I preferred the older i phones which weren't so big as I use it as a phone with some data use. Bought outright then PAYG, top up £10 a month for data. Only disadvantage with PAYG is that you can't tether anything to it.
Wouldn't go back to Android or windows as love the way everything can be synced, particularly diary & mail, useful when away but think I still have a lot of learning to do to get the most out of it.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My son who is up on these things tells me that a new system is coming that has two small ear phone mics that one will convert what you are saying to whatever language you require coming from the other and vice a versa. Just chat as normal and you will have a normal conversation. Sounds good......

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have an iphone6 for phone, iMac as home PC. Also 3 iPads!!! 1 i use as my personal iPad the other 2, 1 is just for all the music so I can use with any speaker without using a lot of the memory on my phone or personal i pad. I have just upgraded this one so my old iPad, which I was offered £85 for, I decided to keep & intend to try it out as just a Sat Nav for the van.
Sounds excessive and I am still trying to sort them all out as to which apps stay on which device.
I preferred the older i phones which weren't so big as I use it as a phone with some data use. Bought outright then PAYG, top up £10 a month for data. Only disadvantage with PAYG is that you can't tether anything to it.
Wouldn't go back to Android or windows as love the way everything can be synced, particularly diary & mail, useful when away but think I still have a lot of learning to do to get the most out of it.
You can down load batches of Google maps so it will continue to work off line. I did this in Cyprus recently and worked fine.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What a fantastic facility this is, I use nothing else. Speech recognition never fails to amaze me. I don't tend to use the keyboard any more. Dont like to say this but I find my speech recognition slightly better than my partners iPhone...;)

I'm surprised it recognises your Yorkshire accent ;)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm surprised it recognises your Yorkshire accent ;)
I must say that Techno saying that his speech recognition understands him did come as a surprise to me. Cant be easy for siri.:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Windows phone does exactly the same with cortana , not pushing it, just saying.:)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my samsung note does all of the above or rather it did till i lost it yesterday expensive day out with the grandson My son and daughterin law have just done the opposite and gone from all apple to android on the latest htc phones both find them better than the i phones they had which were less than 2 years old

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I tried Android for a while but eventually went back to the iPhone. But I do use Macs day to day and the seamless integration probably had more to do with it than the usability.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I only use Siri to try to pick a fight with him or swear at him.:D

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Now the owner of an iPhone and liking it already...nice and quick and getting 4g here in Nottingham on my payg '3' sim. Keep going for the 'back' button from the Samsung but will no doubt soon loose that habit!

Managed to get it up and running...in a fashion :rolleyes:, not quite sure how in the end I got it to sync contacts and calendar etc with my Mac but got there in the end!

I guess in about a month I'll know what I'm doing!

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Wait for 3 months the iPhone 7 will be released. I have the 5S and for now does the job.

Sound advice, definitely wait for the 7 which will be announced in September and will probably ship mid-November.

I tend to skip every other release (gets kinda expensive trying to keep up!) so I'll be going from my trusty 5S (which I can't fault at all) to the 7.

But yes, if you can wait four or five months, definitely hang on :cool:

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Sound advice, definitely wait for the 7 which will be announced in September and will probably ship mid-November.

I tend to skip every other release (gets kinda expensive trying to keep up!) so I'll be going from my trusty 5S (which I can't fault at all) to the 7.

But yes, if you can wait four or five months, definitely hang on :cool:

I couldn't hang on But liking this phone...a lot!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back