Just downright stuck decal removal and stained GRP. (1 Viewer)

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Hi All wonder if anyone can help - although probably directly aimed at those with detailing experience inc. Charlie / FJ Mike.

I have decals over the windscreen on my 1999 Hymer A class which have faded and also the GRP in the area is stained or has ingrained contaminants.

I have used heat in attempt to remove decals, the decal separated party peeling off but leaving a Vynl layer still on the MH. The only way i found of removing the vynl was with a scraper which was slow going so i decided if I can get the rest of GRP section half decent and the white colour and gloss restored I will live with it.

Done a test patch, Rotary, 8" wool pad, Farecla P200, P300, P500 and got a decent result (no pic of area though) however on moving the section where the ingrained mould / contaminants is is has not touched it. I have also tried APC in varying dilutions and Tardis to no avail.

I am tempted to now try and remove vynl, but what is next step for gelcoat - wet sand?

PS - there are already some marks where it looks like prior to my ownership a scotch pad or similar has been used - see pic 2.

BROKEN LINK

BROKEN LINK

BROKEN LINK

BROKEN LINK

BROKEN LINK

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
1000 or 2000 grade wet and dry and then rotary polish with a foam pad should sort the gel coat.

Try a little bit first though(y)

Martin

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Cheers @funflair - im not familiar with grits - so 1000 (Grittiest) or 2000 should polish out of gelcoat ok?

Im pretty sure if I even attempt to get the Vynl off - wet sand will be need to correct damage I cause - Ill need to go buy some paper...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you finish with P2000 paper a Farecla G3 should take it up to a shine you can get products for fibreglass and good advice from Gary at

Are you saying that there is a still a vinyl left on? It's not just the pristine Gelcoat under the graphic is it?

Martin

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Yes still Vinyl left on, polishing with Vinyl still on kinda smooths the sides, like I say id live with it to avoid damage removing - but, unless I can get the gelcoat pristine then end result will look poor. I guess the high spots where the Vinyl is might even be the curse when trying to polish gelcoat below...that said polishing is sort of glossing up over the stop of the stain.

I can have a go at softening again with heat - maybe tar and glue on edges again?

The only bit of Vinyl I have removed fully can be seen at the bottom of 1st image with grubby mark round it - had to really go at it pretty with scraper. It seems that the decal is made up of a base Vinyl with a further layer colour then stuck to top of a base - currently I have removed only the coloured part (heat and scraper) if that makes sense.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Just looked at ECF - I have the Profile range 200XL , 300 and 500.

"Profile 200XL is a medium aggressive, water-based cutting compound capable of removing P800-P1000 dry abrasive marks as well as delivering a high gloss finish. It has low throw off and low odour and is easy to use. With added lubrication, it is also resistant to drying out in hot conditions and on large surfaces. Often used as the sole compound on white gelcoats, it can be applied in the first stage of a two part compounding process where higher gloss and lower swirl is required"

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes still Vinyl left on, polishing with Vinyl still on kinda smooths the sides, like I say id live with it to avoid damage removing - but, unless I can get the gelcoat pristine then end result will look poor. I guess the high spots where the Vinyl is might even be the curse when trying to polish gelcoat below...that said polishing is sort of glossing up over the stop of the stain.

I can have a go at softening again with heat - maybe tar and glue on edges again?

The only bit of Vinyl I have removed fully can be seen at the bottom of 1st image with grubby mark round it - had to really go at it pretty with scraper. It seems that the decal is made up of a base Vinyl with a further layer colour then stuck to top of a base - currently I have removed only the coloured part (heat and scraper) if that makes sense.
Makes sense, the graphics were possibly metallic in two part, I believe older graphics are a bugger to get off.

Martin

?

Deleted User
I cant see the pictures. Its the sticky residue that is left behind or the clear plastic layer of the vinyl?

Either i have used zippo lighter petrol in the past then T-Cut on the paint as you tend to have shadowing left over in the paint. Unsure if unleaded would work also but i cant see why not.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The advantage with it being onto Gelcoat is that whatever you try on the sticker is not likely to harm the Gel so a have a go.

Martin

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Cost effective trade fix
Paint it
Restoring Gel coat is akin to chasing the Holy Grail
But if you are cash poor and time rich, Martins solution is the way to go and always worth a try
keep all treatments to a 6" square until you get results, you won't waste any time on failed methods doing the whole area every time.
Once you have cracked the 6" square all you have to do then is multiply them and join em all up(y)
Geo

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Read somewhere that WD40 will soften the goo to make it easier to remove
Worth a try?

alanalmoff

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
March
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
Check out Goo Gone, used it in the States, if it fails on the van, there's still plenty of other uses in the home, great stuff

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Surgical spirit will soften the glue and plastic scraper’s from amazon