NTSC DVD's on PAL TV (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
OK....here's a question i've tried googling but failed to find a definate answer to.

Will a DVD in NTSC format successfully give both picture and sound to a UK television which is on PAL?

I once bought a video tape from the USA which of course was recorded in NTSC and that would not play.....i had to get it converted into PAL. But unlike my VCR, the DVD player i have is multi regional.

So will NTSC dvd's play or not?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i reckon yes, as its a multi region player it should convert the NTSC signal to pal.
but does it have a time limit on the other regions like the early players did.

can you change the tv format to NTSC. ? or it may already be on auto.

i know there's pal, secam, auto etc in the menus on modern tv's.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Got stuck with the same game years ago and...

What I found is DVDs and Video wont convert NTSC to PAL. If they can read either they simply play what they are fed, ie NTSC disk will play as NTSC and PAL as PAL. As said above, if your tele supports either and is set to AUTO it will work but if not or a PAL only device it wont work. Equally your DVD player will need to be NTSC compatable as well but so far I've found most are it's usually, or at least it used to be, that the tele would be PAL only. I've noticed that more and more newer TVs will do both, but as stated they don't convert.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

We buy lots of DVD's from the States and these play fine on a multi region DVD player through our old TV which I believe is a PAL and not NTSC . They also play the same on the new Flat Screen which I believe is both PAL and NTSC.

Sonja

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Got stuck with the same game years ago and...

What I found is DVDs and Video wont convert NTSC to PAL. If they can read either they simply play what they are fed, ie NTSC disk will play as NTSC and PAL as PAL. As said above, if your tele supports either and is set to AUTO it will work but if not or a PAL only device it wont work. Equally your DVD player will need to be NTSC compatable as well but so far I've found most are it's usually, or at least it used to be, that the tele would be PAL only. I've noticed that more and more newer TVs will do both, but as stated they don't convert.
Had a look at my television onscreen menu and it seems to be PAL only. Its a fifteen year old set so hardly surprises me though at the time i bought it, it was the largest screen being made and cost £1000. Makes you think that todays trend to plasma, hd, and lcd tv's with screens the size of your living room.....will become obsolete worthless 'junk' in five years time!

It seems multi regional dvd players will accept NTSC, but the television standard has to also. Annoying really as the dvd set i want is not made in any other format. I had wondered about the possibility of copying to hardrive, then burning the file to a blank dvd in PAL?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
look in the dvd player set up menu,it only applys to the reading,daughters has both on it and plays both fine through the tv or i am just lucky :thumb:

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
sometimes it works

and sometimes it don't :Doh:

seems to depend - for us anyway - on how badly we want the thing to work,

the more we want it - the worse it is :cry:

so - good luck

also seems that the cheaper end of the machine market can cope with the variables better

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a pity its not the other way round.....pal to NTSC.
you can buy a convertor for that:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back