Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Does anyone know of a cheap and simple awning?

I use the van for touring mainly, one or two up, and it has never seemed worth putting an awning up but I am taking a couple of friends to Upton Blues next month and I was thinking that it might be nice to have a bit more space.

I have a wind out canopy (Fiamma I think) which seems in good condition, I wondered about getting some simple sides for it but they seem to start at around £800 which is a bit thick for a single weekend...

The van technically sleeps five so it's not essential, but it would be a nice to have.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Some people love their awnings, I love mine too, but only when it's raining. Living in Wales there is no way I'd put an awning up for shade. Can't get enough of the sun.

For a one-off like a festival, think about getting a cheap garden gazebo or an event shelter. They work well (y)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
If you want a cheap awning, and I mean cheap you could try one of the gazebos that Aldi have at the moment - about 3m x 3m for £15! My wife will hopefully be able to get one for us later on, I might post a photo if its any good.

Paul

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
We also use a cheap gazebo with sides and windows - put it up under the wind out awning and then lower the awning on to the gazebo, no need for guylines and, IMO, far easier than fixing a front and sides on the wind out.

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for all the great ideas!

I like the sound of @jezport's awning room although they seem to be see-through which would allow plenty of light into the van but could be a disadvantage if I were to try and sleep in it.

Great idea to put a cheap gazebo under the canopy - I didn't think those things had sides, I have seen them used at barbecues and rowing events.

I think the important thing will be to drink myself a five star hotel room (c:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Our 3 metre square gazebo was either LIDL or ALDI and less then £60 with 4 side panels and 4 corner leg weights that you fill with water so light to carry. Shame I do not still work near you as you could have borrowed ours.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
could be a disadvantage if I were to try and sleep in it.

If you plan on using it to sleep in, unless it's just for using abroad in summer.., I don't think awning panels or a gazebo are really suitable.

I know you said 'cheap' but it would be a lot better with a free standing or fixed motorhome awning ..

you can pick them up second hand for not a lot of money

just an example..

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
If you plan on using it to sleep in, unless it's just for using abroad in summer.., I don't think awning panels or a gazebo are really suitable.

I know you said 'cheap' but it would be a lot better with a free standing or fixed motorhome awning ..

you can pick them up second hand for not a lot of money

just an example..

Funnily enough I saw that on eBay this morning - a single broken pole would not be a problem for one weekend, but Manchester would be a day's driving and a tankfull of diesel which would take the gain out of bargain (mind you that would leave me with bar... hurrah!)

I have seen a couple of suitable things but mostly miles away )c:

Our 3 metre square gazebo was either LIDL or ALDI and less then £60 with 4 side panels and 4 corner leg weights that you fill with water so light to carry. Shame I do not still work near you as you could have borrowed ours.

£60 is within budget, especially if it is the sort of thing that could be used for garden parties, although I have never felt the urge to look after my guests that well in the past (c:

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
I’ve bought two, and been happy both times.
First one I used very little, sold it on, and made a small loss.
Second one , modified to fit pvc, and used very little. Can’t sell as modified.
Looking for a third one.
All poled rather than air beam, for payload.
Regards

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the quest pop up gazebos are very handy once you have one you can use it at home as well

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
I’ve got a brand new air awning never used, attaches to van also And can be left standing. £300.00 pm me for more details if interested

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back