Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Hi All
My wife and i are considering buying a 5th wheeler, i have read lots of articles and think that we are pretty much convinced that this is the way to go. Has anyone had trouble getting on to campsites and how do people find towing these beasts. We are going to test drive a unit 3/10/09 as the final part of our quest. Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Neil and Jan :Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Neil and Jan, we have a growing number of 5er owners joining us so I am sure you will be in good company. Meanwhile welcome to the fun:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi All
My wife and i are considering buying a 5th wheeler, i have read lots of articles and think that we are pretty much convinced that this is the way to go. Has anyone had trouble getting on to campsites and how do people find towing these beasts. We are going to test drive a unit 3/10/09 as the final part of our quest. Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Hi

Good Luck with test drive, Debbie also went for a test drive in the GMC Sierra Pickup so that she would feel happy driving such a large vehicle. It took 5 days just to get smile off her face:ROFLMAO:. Cant give info regarding access to campsites as our 5ver has just left the factory in the states and awaiting shipping. We also invested in the Big Pitch Guide and use other publications along side google earth to check out places, Ready to start our adventures in Nov.

We spent many months looking into which type of 5ver we wanted.

Good Luck Hunting.:thumb:

Ant&Debs

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hello n welcome. i dont use campsites very much,but i have found alot in uk dont like the big campers rv,s n 5ers . if they take rv,s they dont mind 5ers etc. have had mine 10 yrs now think they are the ultimate camper as there is no need to pull a toad. a big camper +aframe or trailer does not make sense. i do have a small mazda bongo to use in uk in the summer as here in cornwall i,d never get on most sites and space wild camping is a premium. in the winter i visit spain ,morocco and portugal. never use campsites but dont think there is a problem there ,i see lots. i refuse to spend 70 or more quid a week to park the truck. could be about 18oo quid in 6 months. cant affofd it. also most campsites get very overcrowded at times. have fun make the right decision ,do lots home work. mine is a proper little truck and trailer converted its 23 yr old and i hope it will go for alot more years. (i have changed the unit).pm me if you need more .cheers alan.

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Our 5er

Hi N&J
We have a Kountrylite 26RK being pulled by a Navara. We do not camp in UK so if that is your main aim, cannot comment.
In the last year travelled through France & Spain, back again in October for 6 months.
After about a week or so of 100% nerves a-fraying you just get the hang of it all, parking, reversing and how to drive without hitting anything.
Couple of tips:- never use full lock and watch the height.
Also, carry an empty fuel can, somestimes you cannot actually get to the pump or out of the gas station, so rather than unhitch, fill the can.
Enjoy
JK
Swinhoe's 5th Wheel Euro tour

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
5er hitching procedure

From blog, may help
"Decided to move the Mothership a few feet across the plot; a). Because it would be straight, not straight due to tosser of a German (see earlier post), b). So that we will be able to “liberate the awning” and c). So that we may be able to do something to ameliorate the slope of the ground.

So we waited until no one was looking (see why further on) and began the magical process of “hitching up”.

The idea is to reverse the pickup to the 5th wheel hitch receiver (the bit with the slot/hole attached to the back of the pickup, locates into the “hitch” on the front of the 5er otherwise known as “The Mothership”.
Now the hitch slot is about 4” wide and the hitch is cylindrical piece of metal 3” in diameter, 4” long with a 1/4” collar at the bottom, hanging from the front of the Mothership on a very stout arm.
The+plot.jpg

Not a lot of room for error there. Also the Navara pickup is an auto, so no nice slipping the clutch either. Another “also” is that the height is critical; it is adjusted by raising or lowering the Mothership via two electrically driven “landing legs” at the front. Too high, no engagement, too low you biff the Mothership back a bit. So it has to be set so as to lift as it couples.

Well if you are on a downward slope and you get it wrong, wave goodbye to your 5th wheel.

Check list before hitching

1 Disconnect mains cable
2 Remove slideout supports
3 Clear inside (anything that can fall and break WILL fall and break) and retract slideout
4 Place bricks behind rear wheels on 5er (if on a downward slope)
5 Lift in steps
6 Detach any clothes lines, bikes/people leaning against etc
7 Remove lock and slide out looking pin on 5er hitch receiver
8 Drop tail gate
9 Connect electric cables and breakaway cable to pickup.
10 Go back for car keys, in the drawer “covered up “ by the now “in” slideout
11 Slideout out, get keys, slideout in
12 Fall out of door because you forgot you did not get the steps out.
13 Begin the process by extending the “legs” and guessing the right height (can take the odd minute or so)
14 Start car and open all windows so that the yelling can start

Then hitch up, yeah right!
Uneven ground does not help. So you are reversing a 2 ton pickup into a 3.5 ton 5th wheel aiming a 3” piece of metal at a 4” slot approximately 42” off the ground and you can’t see all of it out of the rear window (which is heavily tinted).
The whole shooting mass costs more than £60k.

Piece of piss really. By the way, reversing cameras are a no go as they are usually wide angle and like it says on some side mirrors (i.e. Jurassic Park) “objects may appear slightly bigger than they are”, so no help there then.

Left, left, no, no your other left, left, left, RIGHT! RIGHT! STOP!
Go back stupid! I MEAN FORWARD! FORWARD!
Right slow, slow, left, er I mean right, TOO FAST! STOPPPPPPPPP!

All the time the good wife has been standing at side of the pickup, holding the locking pin as far out as possible to give “maximum slot width” (don’t ask)

GO FORWARD YOU BRAINLESS NIT WIT, now back, back, MY TOES! MY BLOODY TOESSSSS…..!! FORWARD!!!!!!

“You’re bloody useless you are, you know”, “do you want a go? Umm I somehow thought so, right then let’s try again”

By the way, Tricia has never driven on “the wrong side”, as she puts it, ever in her life. Opps sorry, once in Portugal. In a Fiat rental, on a country road. Within seconds of taking the wheel she very nearly drove straight into front of an oncoming HGV “on the wrong side of the road!” I was pretty OK but the kids had counselling for months afterward.

So the very thought of “her indoors” driving a 17’ pickup with a 30’ 5th wheel hanging on the back, weighing 5 tons or so, on the “other” side of the road barely bears thinking about.

You also get someone, who has never even seen a pickup, trailer combination, turn up and start “left hand down man, left hand down!”
What the hell is that suppose to mean? Left hand down my what? My trousers, My socks….? Is he some kind of Caravan Club pervert?

So on and on until, usually by sheer luck and 30 minutes later, “click”.

That particular noise, no it’s not a “noise”, it’s an anthem, a call, a “hello” from an old friend, a climax a……wait a minute lets not get carried away,

Anyway this is why we would rather hitch up without an audience.

Of course reversing this monster is also a pop if you have finally figured out that to go left you go right, right, you go left, NEVER EVER use full lock and try not to let the Mothership bump into the pickup cabin on a turn.

By this time I had forgotten why we had started this.

Reversed into the plot, more or less first time, and into the correct position so at least straight (well ‘ish)
Except, awning still not fully open as a metal post is mysteriously in the way and the slope is as bad as ever.

All in all a very good waste of a day."

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
From blog, may help
"Decided to move the Mothership a few feet across the plot; a). Because it would be straight, not straight due to tosser of a German (see earlier post), b). So that we will be able to “liberate the awning” and c). So that we may be able to do something to ameliorate the slope of the ground.

So we waited until no one was looking (see why further on) and began the magical process of “hitching up”.

The idea is to reverse the pickup to the 5th wheel hitch receiver (the bit with the slot/hole attached to the back of the pickup, locates into the “hitch” on the front of the 5er otherwise known as “The Mothership”.
Now the hitch slot is about 4” wide and the hitch is cylindrical piece of metal 3” in diameter, 4” long with a 1/4” collar at the bottom, hanging from the front of the Mothership on a very stout arm.
The+plot.jpg

Not a lot of room for error there. Also the Navara pickup is an auto, so no nice slipping the clutch either. Another “also” is that the height is critical; it is adjusted by raising or lowering the Mothership via two electrically driven “landing legs” at the front. Too high, no engagement, too low you biff the Mothership back a bit. So it has to be set so as to lift as it couples.

Well if you are on a downward slope and you get it wrong, wave goodbye to your 5th wheel.

Check list before hitching

1 Disconnect mains cable
2 Remove slideout supports
3 Clear inside (anything that can fall and break WILL fall and break) and retract slideout
4 Place bricks behind rear wheels on 5er (if on a downward slope)
5 Lift in steps
6 Detach any clothes lines, bikes/people leaning against etc
7 Remove lock and slide out looking pin on 5er hitch receiver
8 Drop tail gate
9 Connect electric cables and breakaway cable to pickup.
10 Go back for car keys, in the drawer “covered up “ by the now “in” slideout
11 Slideout out, get keys, slideout in
12 Fall out of door because you forgot you did not get the steps out.
13 Begin the process by extending the “legs” and guessing the right height (can take the odd minute or so)
14 Start car and open all windows so that the yelling can start

Then hitch up, yeah right!
Uneven ground does not help. So you are reversing a 2 ton pickup into a 3.5 ton 5th wheel aiming a 3” piece of metal at a 4” slot approximately 42” off the ground and you can’t see all of it out of the rear window (which is heavily tinted).
The whole shooting mass costs more than £60k.

Piece of piss really. By the way, reversing cameras are a no go as they are usually wide angle and like it says on some side mirrors (i.e. Jurassic Park) “objects may appear slightly bigger than they are”, so no help there then.

Left, left, no, no your other left, left, left, RIGHT! RIGHT! STOP!
Go back stupid! I MEAN FORWARD! FORWARD!
Right slow, slow, left, er I mean right, TOO FAST! STOPPPPPPPPP!

All the time the good wife has been standing at side of the pickup, holding the locking pin as far out as possible to give “maximum slot width” (don’t ask)

GO FORWARD YOU BRAINLESS NIT WIT, now back, back, MY TOES! MY BLOODY TOESSSSS…..!! FORWARD!!!!!!

“You’re bloody useless you are, you know”, “do you want a go? Umm I somehow thought so, right then let’s try again”

By the way, Tricia has never driven on “the wrong side”, as she puts it, ever in her life. Opps sorry, once in Portugal. In a Fiat rental, on a country road. Within seconds of taking the wheel she very nearly drove straight into front of an oncoming HGV “on the wrong side of the road!” I was pretty OK but the kids had counselling for months afterward.

So the very thought of “her indoors” driving a 17’ pickup with a 30’ 5th wheel hanging on the back, weighing 5 tons or so, on the “other” side of the road barely bears thinking about.

You also get someone, who has never even seen a pickup, trailer combination, turn up and start “left hand down man, left hand down!”
What the hell is that suppose to mean? Left hand down my what? My trousers, My socks….? Is he some kind of Caravan Club pervert?

So on and on until, usually by sheer luck and 30 minutes later, “click”.

That particular noise, no it’s not a “noise”, it’s an anthem, a call, a “hello” from an old friend, a climax a……wait a minute lets not get carried away,

Anyway this is why we would rather hitch up without an audience.

Of course reversing this monster is also a pop if you have finally figured out that to go left you go right, right, you go left, NEVER EVER use full lock and try not to let the Mothership bump into the pickup cabin on a turn.

By this time I had forgotten why we had started this.

Reversed into the plot, more or less first time, and into the correct position so at least straight (well ‘ish)
Except, awning still not fully open as a metal post is mysteriously in the way and the slope is as bad as ever.

All in all a very good waste of a day."

Hi Just read you Blog. Excellent Debs is still giggling!

Regards
:thumb:
Ant & Debs

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Well 2 simple sentences answer it all :Smile:

"Yay done it nice job":thumb:

"Oh crap what was that ":shout:

good luck with the ventures to you both :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jackomet, now you know what the park brake is for on the trailer. you arent alone .i have wind down legs on bothsides of trailer (independant of one another)to save time i drop the legs onto nice flat 4x2 pieces of wood about 4 pieces high. you guessed it reverse back ,thump ,off goes trailer then crash it comes off the wood . what a job try lifting mine on its winders by hand when its on its knees .air gun blip blip lovely till a barrel pin holding the gears breaks. so 2 hours later ive jacked it up back on to wood .apply hand operated park brake . slightly adjust height by hand and slip the truck under first time. now always use it. another tip is sometimes its better to park your back wheels of truck on 4x2, 1 for each wheel then un hook drive forward . take away the wood, next time you hook up the tow unit as risen on its suspension making it easier to hook up. one day we will all meet up and5ers tales can be laughed at by all of us.but one things for sure towing a toad is not the best way ,wehave it right .always keep a small m,bike in the garage /boot u know it makes sense. cheers alan.

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
Hi All

Thanks

Hi & Welcome
We were advised by both The Caravan Club & The Camping & Caravaning Club that 26' is the maximum size that they will take on a 'Normal' pitch and that you can book on their 'On Line' booking service.We always phone the site after booking as a courtesy to say exactly what we are bringing and its size.Stayed on 5 sites so far with no problems and in all cases the Wardens have thanked us for the prior notice.
Both Clubs do take larger units,but its not so easy & straightforward.

Hope this helps - Chas

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Hi all
Thanks for the good wishes and luck,we don't intend to spend all of our time in the UK we would like to do lots of long weekends in the UK and then spend our 4 weeks holiday a year traveling around europe until we can afford to give up work for 6 months or so and take a longer tour.
Jackomet, we read your post and couldn't stop laughing are you sure you've not been spying on us cos it sounds just like the missus and me. Well i have booked the test run for 3/10/09 and looking at a second hand Extreme lite and a new euro lite both of which are 27ft long.
Ill keep you posted when i come back next weekend

Regards

Neil and Jan

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
Hi all
Thanks for the good wishes and luck,we don't intend to spend all of our time in the UK we would like to do lots of long weekends in the UK and then spend our 4 weeks holiday a year traveling around europe until we can afford to give up work for 6 months or so and take a longer tour.
Jackomet, we read your post and couldn't stop laughing are you sure you've not been spying on us cos it sounds just like the missus and me. Well i have booked the test run for 3/10/09 and looking at a second hand Extreme lite and a new euro lite both of which are 27ft long.
Ill keep you posted when i come back next weekend

Regards

Neil and Jan

Hi & welcome to the fun,are you going to Greg @ Niche? if so you are in good hands bought our Sunvalley 26' RK from Greg .Started of towing with a L200 just too underpowered & wanted to fit the optional slide out awning & that would have put me over the width limit for under 3.5 t tow vehicle,one of our customers at work was selling a low mileage one driver Transit DBL cab, what a dream to tow with cab same width as 5ver no need for towing mirrors,carry every thing we need including m/cycle & still under gtw,20/25 mpg. Down side have to watch where you park on wet grass (no 4wd)

Link Removed

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Hi & welcome to the fun,are you going to Greg @ Niche? if so you are in good hands bought our Sunvalley 26' RK from Greg .Started of towing with a L200 just too underpowered & wanted to fit the optional slide out awning & that would have put me over the width limit for under 3.5 t tow vehicle,one of our customers at work was selling a low mileage one driver Transit DBL cab, what a dream to tow with cab same width as 5ver no need for towing mirrors,carry every thing we need including m/cycle & still under gtw,20/25 mpg. Down side have to watch where you park on wet grass (no 4wd)

Hi Tink
I already have a nissan navara which i have been told is more than upto the job by Greg and most of the other uk dealers, yes i am going to Greg he seems to be straight and honest and for a salesman thats pretty unusual. He has a extreme lite bunk house that were quite interested in. I must admit I am quite nervous about towing a 5er, not that i haven't towed before just it was a while ago and nerves and driving for me dont normally go in the same sentence so i am a bit baffled why i feel this way hence the test run. Do you need the extra driving mirrors then? cos i have just towed a small caravan back for my sister and had no problems with vision, the only thing that does concern me is that i have to back it up onto my drive between the house and a fence, about a 12ft gap, still practice makes perfect so they say

regards

Neil

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i for one dont think the nissans are man enough. get a proper mini truck. i use a mitsubishi canter but do like the isuzu or iveco daily, you can have a sesible sized unit, if you get the right truck a sensible size motor. its not all about bhp. its having the grunt to pull on steep hills etc. do lots of home work visit all the dealers you dont want to believe all the sales talk of the 5er salesmen. most dont even understand the rules. what ever you do have fun .cheers alan.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
i for one dont think the nissans are man enough. get a proper mini truck. i use a mitsubishi canter but do like the isuzu or iveco daily, you can have a sesible sized unit, if you get the right truck a sensible size motor. its not all about bhp. its having the grunt to pull on steep hills etc. do lots of home work visit all the dealers you dont want to believe all the sales talk of the 5er salesmen. most dont even understand the rules. what ever you do have fun .cheers alan.

I am with you on this one Alan. Just back from Lincolnshire for a long weekend with the 5'er. The F250 towed like a dream, loads of grunt, just gives me bags of confidence when towing, no issues with any of the tiny tiny B roads. All a breeze.
Interested chatting with other 5'er owners on site, quite surprised how much hassle some seem to have with towing.

Rob

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
Yes you will need towing mirrors don't forget you are towing a 7'6 wide 26' long trailer not a little caravan, yes the Navara will be big enough to pull it (just) but for how long? the Navaras according to people who have used them for heavy towing have a reputation for self destructing when put to hard work:Doh: If you go this route I would advise you to travel with empty water tanks & fill on site:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi tink. think iv just seen a nice one . ebay 260483494680 think this one as enough power. cheers alan.

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
are there any other 5er owners who do use a navara to tow, i would like your opinion on this as well please

Regards

Neil

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
hi tink. think iv just seen a nice one . ebay 260483494680 think this one as enough power. cheers alan.

Bl88dy ell Alan you won't get that in 2 car parking spaces & Tesco's:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi wheelie there is a few on here with nissans . i prefer the truck look . sorry we dont want to spoil yopur fun but would like you to make the best choice for you . we wouldnt be mates if in 3 months we say could have told you that.
tink , seems like a good price if anyone wants a nice rig. never wear the motor out in our life time.
prefer mine ,cos its mine. cheers alan.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Hi i have a manual 2007 Navara Outlaw i had a few clutch problems that were solved by a warranty replacement along withflywheel and pedalbox . I also had a DTE tuning chip installed to give approx. 210 bhp. Now (not before) the Navara seems at least adequate when towing my 5ver and an absolute blast without the beast on the back . Just did a quick trip to Spain to take my motorbikes down for the winter and power and mpg most impressive compared to previous , so in conclusion if you have your Nav. its ok to do as you want.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi Wheelie

Welcome to the fun, and do not underestimate how much fun it can be, we have had some great times and quite often at the most unexpected times too.

When looking at your tow vehicle try and think beyond just the power outputs, in my experience not only do you need to speed these rigs up but also you need to slow them down, having used a Navarra for heavy towing before I was in no hurry to have another one and so opted for the F250.
It brings with it so many other small but great advantages, for example (and rest assured I will not bore you with them all::bigsmile:::bigsmile:). I have a small sliding rear window in the back of the cab which I can slide open (electrically of course::bigsmile:::bigsmile:) when reversing on to the hitch so that I can watch the kingpin and hitch approaching one another without the need for someone to guide me to it.................very handy as I can single hitch and unhitch.

Oh and I nearly forgot, no chance of Cab Strike either ::bigsmile::Smile:

Can't say that with a euro pick up unless you are fitting a sliding hitch.

Regards and welcome

Rob

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Hi GIBLA 53
Nice to hear of another Navara user, and thanks for the advice, i did think about getting it chipped!. Rob/Alan i was thinking about what you were saying regarding there being better tow trucks out there such as the F250, i was wondering what makes the truck better HP and torque, gear ratios etc, well i had a look at the mitsi canter which i beleive you have Alan, done a quick comparision to find that the Navara has more torque and HP but has bigger gear ratios. The torque on the mitsi was at 1700 rpm but on the Nav was at 2000rpm
so what makes the mitsi better at towing? as im no mechanical whizz someone please explain

Cheers:thumb:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi try 6.3ton gvw.3.9ltr engine train wt 9.8ton. you can voluntary lower the train to 8.25 to allow ci+e licence. the navarra as lots of poke empty but give it a load n its gone. the mitzy just pulls away .may be not a race car but pulls a house down.i wanted a vehicle that was common in europe n africa. mine was built in portugal .they still build similar models in morocco so it was my choice. also have heard navarra have a oil gallery problem seems to show its face on hard worked navs. i didnt want a yank as i like truck look. but keep asking you want to make the right decision. there are other reasons for going bigger like cheaper tax ,plating n test excemption. also if over 3.5 you can go wider on trailer .i prefer 7ft.6ins better for narrow streets. i also needed a truck that takes 2.5ton on the pin. mine is a proper artic . google lynton trailers or look on ebay miniartics they are around. cheers alan

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi GIBLA 53
Nice to hear of another Navara user, and thanks for the advice, i did think about getting it chipped!. Rob/Alan i was thinking about what you were saying regarding there being better tow trucks out there such as the F250, i was wondering what makes the truck better HP and torque, gear ratios etc, well i had a look at the mitsi canter which i beleive you have Alan, done a quick comparision to find that the Navara has more torque and HP but has bigger gear ratios. The torque on the mitsi was at 1700 rpm but on the Nav was at 2000rpm
so what makes the mitsi better at towing? as im no mechanical whizz someone please explain

Cheers:thumb:

Hi Wheelie............I am first to admit that a F250 is not to all tastes but it does have plenty of power. 325 bhp and 600 ft/lbs of torque.For me there were other factors to consider, for example, a downplate to 3500 Kgs allows me to go up to 2.55 metres wide as opposed to 2.3 metres wide.
I have additional US specification towing accessories fitted as standard. The tow package on a US truck will assist greatly..........so this is a list of the extras fitted to my truck. (please note that these will not necessarily be fitted to all trucks.

Oil cooler for engine and gearbox.
Exhaust recirculation to heaters for oil to obtain working temperature asap.
Telescoping rear view wing mirrors, heated with 2 section mirrors.
Integrated brake controller.
Sliding rear window glass.
Tow/Haul mode.......removes overdrive from gearbox as well as using exhaust gases for engine braking assistance.

I do like the fact that in original US specification my F250 can 5th wheel 22,000 lbs. I am asking it to pull 3495 Kgs, this is approx one third of its capacity.
I admit that fuel economy is an issue, on my recent trip to Lincs, I averaged 14.7 mpg US, this is a little over 16 mpg UK. Do bear in mind that this is all A and B road work. I normally get an economy of approx 16.5 US (18.5 UK) when towing on dual carriageways etc.
Plus they are not as expensive to buy as you think. Major services at 100,000 miles.:thumb::thumb:

HTH

Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say rob is right on with the brakes .i have exhaust brake as standard. best bit of kit you can have.

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Well, what a weekend, set off from our place in Whitehill in Hampshire at 9am Saturday morning en route to Niche Marketing in manby Lincolnshire, set the sat nav and knew which way it was going to take us M3,M25,M1 J13 off across country to the A1 up to Peterbourgh then follow the sat nav the rest of the way. All was fine usual traffic M25 through J16- 19 road works up the M1 no probs across to the A1, superb i thought should do this in less than 4 hours now, Hmmmm should have kept my thoughts to myself, i cant remember the road number at the top of the A1M but it was closed we didnt see any diversion signs so i thought turn right follow the road and then turn left and pick it up further down the line but unfortunatly every road we went down was bloody closed, ended up taking 5 1/2 hours.
Anyway arrived at Niche at 2.30pm and spent the next 3 hrs looking at 2 5ers and test driving 1, let me break it down a little further, we spent 10 mins looking at one and the rest of the time scrutinizing the other. The new white water bunk house was the first we looked at, £27,000 not enough storage and to heavy, it was actually quite easy to dismiss, then we looked at the used extreme lite which is not as plush but the layout was better, it weighed about 750kg less and the price was within our budget. Although i must say the interior fabric was awful, but we spoke about changing it and i was happy about what could be done. we probably spent 2 hours going over every aspect checking this and that looking at every seem, joint and strut that we could.
Test drive time, by this time i seemed to have lost any nerves i had about towing this monster (well not quite but you know what i mean) Greg took it to the large car park area on the business park then said there you go do some manevuring so i drove around for about 2 mins then thought lets go for some reversing, so i actually reversed it around a bend first time, no messing, which i thought was pretty good as i havent towed anything since 1997, only the trailer tent but i dont think that counts, then off on a drive which i must say was pretty good, yes the Navara did have to work going uphill but generally other than steep hills it was good, nice and stable and i think a chip in the navara would help. I guess youve sussed where this is going? we are now the proud owners of an Extreme lit 5er: BigGrin: :thumb: :Cool:. We should be in a position to pick it up November ish ::bigsmile:, sorry cant stop grinning ::bigsmile: so thats it so far, thanks for all the advice and ill get some pics up as soon as we pick it up. Oh while i think about it what do you think about our name for it, where it has the word Extreme on the front underneath we thought the words Passion wagon would go quite well :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Blush:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hope yu have loads of fun in your new baby. i wouldnt change the fabrics save the money have a holiday. they are very easy to manuvere much easier than most people imagine. hope to meet up somewhere we will have to have a five alive meeting one weekend. cheers give us a five .alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back