LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi All
Going to give the MH a wash this week and wondered how safe it was to stand on the roof i was thinking of placing a plank from side to side so my weight isn't in all one place let me know what you think and also how you clean your roof.
Forgot to say its an 06 elddis 130 autoquest.

Gerry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
shouldnt be a problem.
i walk on mine (kontki)and im going on 17stone.
just dont get too close to any roof vents/skylights and avoid the overcab 'bulge'.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Few years back that is how I used to clean my roof,, Scaffold plank,, side to side,, with plenty of padding on the outer edges so when you walk in the middle the plank dont bow and touch the roof.. :thumb:

Could have done with two,, side by side as one is not quite wide enough to work comfortably,, and with the width of two you can get down on all fours and give it a good polish,, makes washing the Seagul cr*p off easy,, (down by the coast) any ways.. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Few years back that is how I used to clean my roof,, Scaffold plank,, side to side,, with plenty of padding on the outer edges so when you walk in the middle the plank dont bow and touch the roof.. :thumb:

Could have done with two,, side by side as one is not quite wide enough to work comfortably,, and with the width of two you can get down on all fours and give it a good polish,, makes washing the Seagul cr*p off easy,, (down by the coast) any ways.. :Smile:

Afraid I will have to disagree with you on this one "pappajohn",, I was always told not to walk on european roofs,, as they are suseptable to stretch and break the seal on the roof edge/awning/gutterering etc.. :whatthe:

Dont think suseptable is spelt right,, but I know nuffink,, :winky:

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I was told that the roof was designed to be walked on. I regularly go onto our roof, not only to wash it, but also as we have a roof box, and the only way to get onto this is by walking on the roof.
I stay away from the vents, and from where the roof starts to angle for the overcab.
I've got an extendable brush which connects to hose to clean this (about £10 from focus from memory)
I'm a big bloke and had the only problem I've had with being on the roof has been high winds! Gotta go careful then!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have been up on the roof of European vans a lot. I'm not light:Smile: They are stronger than you might thnk. I have also carried 70kg of canoe up there as well. Just be careful, the roof will flex which means that seals around skylights will eventually go. On an Autotrail we had, I was on and of the roof a lot with the canoes and i would have to reseal the Heki once a year as the flexing made it spring a leak. Only a 20 min job to fix though.

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
ladders and a brush with hose pipe conected sell them at all the shows or you can buy them form any diy store much safer i would think than takeing the chance of a split roof !!
or park close to a wall get on the wall and use a soft brush !!+

carl

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the replys guys i think i'll get the wife to go up as shes a lot lighter than me :ROFLMAO: i will watch her though to make sure she does'nt fall.

Gerry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Gerry, I have the same van as yours and I wouldn't attempt to walk on my roof. The way I clean mine is to use a ladder leaning against the side of the van at roof level.
I cushion the ladder against the van with one of those thick fluffy bath mats tied round the ladder where it touches the van. I then clean the roof with a mop and buckets of hot water with Fenwick's MH and Caravan cleaner, and then rinse off using a watering can with cold water.
I must admit, I haven't polished it yet though.
Even in the city centre here we still get bombarded now and again by seagulls.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back