Headlight deflectors (long term) (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Hi
When we go abroad, its usually for 1mth+
Our last van, we had a set of Perspex headlight protectors that clipped on, and on here we fitted headlight deflectors, so that it was easy to clip on and off. I noted the deflectors were very stuck on and would never come off!
On new van (NV200) I can't find any headlight protectors anywhere to repeat this trick.
Also, I do not believe the headlights can be converted in situ - nothing in the manual anyway!
So can anyone recommend alternative methods, or indeed a product that can be installed and easily removed on return without damaging the original headlights?
Thanks

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I used to use black adhesive insulating tape on the headlamp glass before doing what you did to yours and have perspex protectors with stickers on. You could do this if you can identify the right area to mask off.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just buy the stick on ones that aren't made for it and stick them on.

If the cops pull you for it ( big IF) plead ignorance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

?

Deleted User
Another one. Cant there be a sticky so people can go round and round in the same thread. Tape the datum line and be done with it. Clear glass then park nose first 10 feet or so away from a wall so you can see the beam rise and tape the part to reduce that. Im sure there will be you tube videos that could be used in the sticky. Put them on my car the first time i drove Europe and never bothered since.

Funny as i had to put tape on my bike headlamp. Guess what idiot did not check his cheap ebay lamp was for the UK :(

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi
When we go abroad, its usually for 1mth+
Our last van, we had a set of Perspex headlight protectors that clipped on, and on here we fitted headlight deflectors, so that it was easy to clip on and off. I noted the deflectors were very stuck on and would never come off!
On new van (NV200) I can't find any headlight protectors anywhere to repeat this trick.
Also, I do not believe the headlights can be converted in situ - nothing in the manual anyway!
So can anyone recommend alternative methods, or indeed a product that can be installed and easily removed on return without damaging the original headlights?
Thanks
I assume you've tried EGR?

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Hi
Not sure my question was clear enough as the answers above (thanks) don't comment on the primary point.
I am happy I can mask off the right area or use a deflector.

BUT

I'm asking about leaving the masking/beam deflector on for 1-2 months - and then getting it off again! My experience is that if left on they melt/bond to the headlamp and never come off again when back in UK. So I don't want to stick anything to the headlight unit that isn't proven to be removable after months of use without damage.

(If I could locate a supplier of Perspex headlamp covers i'd get a set and stick masking/deflector on there, easy on, easy off)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I buy the cheap stick on one's like they sell at Halfords. But from ebay at half the price !
Stick on and leave em on.. Current ones are 4 years old. No issues with MOT, passed twice now.

Did same on previous van...

Ref Black tape, there were comments about it overheating the lamps so not recommended.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Thanks but I do not want to leave them on when back in UK. I want ones I can remove without damaging the light. Regardless if it passes MOT (surprised if they are in the correct place for that to happen), if they adjust the beam and nearside illumination, then I'd prefer them off and get better nearside lighting when in UK as the van will be used extensively in UK.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I buy the cheap stick on one's like they sell at Halfords. But from ebay at half the price !
Stick on and leave em on.. Current ones are 4 years old. No issues with MOT, passed twice now.

Did same on previous van...

Ref Black tape, there were comments about it overheating the lamps so not recommended.

I agree with that.

Stupid continental laws should be dealt with in an appropriate way.

Comply and then ignore, or just ignore.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Stupid laws? Really?
You think having UK drivers blinding locals in France is fine, and Europeans doing the same to us is a stupid law? Hope you don't get blinded on a tight road and have an incident then.
Each to their own.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back