Split Charge Relay Kit (1 Viewer)

?

Deleted User
I cant remember if i asked or not but if i did humor me. As i am only running a few 12v lights, Car stereo and a couple of USB ports for charging phones would a 100amp split charge kit be OK? I even doubt i would use the USB unless driving. Wife is making noise (again) about a 12v cool box but if i get one that would be up front running from the main battery and only when driving.

I was thinking of ordering this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Great-Val...056209?hash=item3cdab0c751:g:8BcAAOSw~1FUYSm2

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I am just wondering what is the output of your alternator.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No Idea what your Idea is but if you want to charge L/Battery from the van use this kit dead simple to wire up even I can do it but don't use the Scotch locks (y)
terry
edit split relays only work while engine is running -reading your post I am not sure if this is what you want to do

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
I am just wondering what is the output of your alternator.

Dont know i would need to look into that further. Is there a lower limit i am looking for?

No Idea what your Idea is but if you want to charge L/Battery from the van use this kit dead simple to wire up even I can do it but don't use the Scotch locks (y)
terry
edit split relays only work while engine is running -reading your post I am not sure if this is what you want to do

I was going to put in a manual switch but was put off with people saying if i forget to turn leisure off i could kill my alternator. Yeah charging on the move is what i am after.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont know i would need to look into that further. Is there a lower limit i am looking for?

I was going to put in a manual switch but was put off with people saying if i forget to turn leisure off i could kill my alternator. Yeah charging on the move is what i am after.
A simple on/off switch will have no effect or your alternator.
What WILL happen when you try to start the engine is the switch and wiring will fry or, if a fuse is fitted it will simply blow.
Your starter could draw upwards of 400 amps and that would be sourced from both engine and leisure batteries which the thin interconnecting wire cannot handle.
The main reason for split charge relays only activating AFTER the engine is started.

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
So i will also have to remember to switch it off when i stop for fuel or a cup of tea when charging. For the sake of £40 i think i had better get the relay. I know im Scottish but not that tight. Ill presume when @Flamenca was asking about the output this would be to determine if its strong enough to charge two battery's.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
So i will also have to remember to switch it off when i stop for fuel or a cup of tea when charging. For the sake of £40 i think i had better get the relay. I know im Scottish but not that tight. Ill presume when @Flamenca was asking about the output this would be to determine if its strong enough to charge two battery's.

The kit you are considering is rated at 100 amps which might well be in excess of your alternator output so I wonder why you should fit such heavy duty relays. The kit suggested by @Terry might well be adeaquate.

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
The kit you are considering is rated at 100 amps which might well be in excess of your alternator output so I wonder why you should fit such heavy duty relays. The kit suggested by @Terry might well be adeaquate.

Ah. Penny dropped. I looked at his link and thought it was a manual system where i had to turn the big red battery switch. Just reading that advert now and found my first post that i had lost.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I sent you a link to the one i fitted. Did you lose it, Muppet ?

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Is this how Terrys link is wired in?

Diode-split-charge-system.jpg

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Is this how Terrys link is wired in?

Diode-split-charge-system.jpg
No need for the alternator wire :) simply wire to poss and neg on starter battery to the two left terminals and top right (3 on rt) to the l/Battery and make sure the L/Batt is earthed -use fuses provided ;)-it's smart and recognises that the starter battery is getting charge so simply turns on the relay (y) the two other terminals on right are for fridge etc -instructions are easy(y) -they must be even I understand them :LOL:
terry

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
No need for the alternator wire :) simply wire to poss and neg on starter battery to the two left terminals and top right (3 on rt) to the l/Battery and make sure the L/Batt is earthed -use fuses provided ;)-it's smart and recognises that the starter battery is getting charge so simply turns on the relay (y) the two other terminals on right are for fridge etc -instructions are easy(y) -they must be even I understand them :LOL:
terry

This sounds to easy :D So no switching from me whatsoever. Just plumb in and leave it to work away itself. Im liking this system more.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This sounds to easy :D So no switching from me whatsoever. Just plumb in and leave it to work away itself. Im liking this system more.
IT IS VERY EASY-- fit and forget (y)
terry

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
I have fitted an M-Power Intelligent Voltage Sense Relay to our Autotrail, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mtr-Spli...-Made-Leads-/251515162668?hash=item3a8f78d02c which allows both starter and habitation batteries to be charged from the alternator, solar panels or my CTEK 8 stage charger. As soon as one of the above reaches 13.3v they both benefit from the charge, when the voltage drops below 12.8v the batteries are isolated. It really is a fit and forget solution.

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Cheers @premiere99 but to be honest mate this is just a throw together cheap self build van that will run for a year, might be two. If we enjoy the van then i will be buying a larger one and doing it all again but more professional. A more heavy duty split charge system may be in order. Electric hook up, kitchen. Im planning it in my head already and not even been away with this one yet.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Cheers @premiere99 but to be honest mate this is just a throw together cheap self build van that will run for a year, might be two. If we enjoy the van then i will be buying a larger one and doing it all again but more professional. A more heavy duty split charge system may be in order. Electric hook up, kitchen. Im planning it in my head already and not even been away with this one yet.

Oh dear
You have OCD
Obsessive Campervan Disorder.
There's no cure you know, it just gets worse and worse till you buy an RV:doh:
then and only then, can you slowly downsize to a stable condition.
But alas no known cure, you can only pray you die before you go bust:rofl::Eeek:

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Lol. No @Geo I only need around 9'. Enough for a bed and a kitchen unit. I think that would put me in Short wheel base Transits what should be that in the load area so add in a semi hi top and an awning with sides i would be happy at that. We mostly go to camp sights so no need for a loo. May have a rack to hang a 125/250 trail bike of the back and that would be us. When the wife gets to old i go alone :D

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I have fitted an M-Power Intelligent Voltage Sense Relay to our Autotrail, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mtr-Spli...-Made-Leads-/251515162668?hash=item3a8f78d02c which allows both starter and habitation batteries to be charged from the alternator, solar panels or my CTEK 8 stage charger. As soon as one of the above reaches 13.3v they both benefit from the charge, when the voltage drops below 12.8v the batteries are isolated. It really is a fit and forget solution.
Just a thought, if I may... I bought (but haven't fitted yet) the similar "battery combiner" from Victron and I was wondering if you removed the original Autotrail split charge relay? Or did you leave it in place?
I ask as I wondered if the original split charge system might interfere with the new "voltage sensing" bit
Thanks
Steve

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
Just a thought, if I may... I bought (but haven't fitted yet) the similar "battery combiner" from Victron and I was wondering if you removed the original Autotrail split charge relay? Or did you leave it in place?
I ask as I wondered if the original split charge system might interfere with the new "voltage sensing" bit
Thanks
Steve
Steve,
I cut the blue/brown wires at the EC50 which stops the split charge, all I use the Sargent EC325 for now is a fuse box as I did not like the idea of 18V going to my solar regulator, 12v inverter or the Smartgauge box, all of which have to connected direct to the 12v battery terminals.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Thank you @premiere99
I thought I should remove my original split charge, but it helps so much to hear it it from someone who has real experience...
All I have to do now is find it under the bonnet :LOL::LOL::LOL:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

The output of the alternator is perhaps not the critical item rather the possible large inrush crrent from a fully charged starter battery into a low leisure battery

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back