Road width restrictions (1 Viewer)

Mar 27, 2016
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 408
Exp
Since 2016
Probably a bit naive but when we brought our compact hymer I assumed it was no larger the most larger white vans at less than 6 meters and 2.1 meters wide.
However after visiting Norfolk and the new forest I thought we had better check and see if we are over the 6'6" width restrictions that we drove through not being able to convert meters to feet ... Yes perhaps we should have known.
1. What is the legal issues of use doing this?
2. How do others navigate in Devon, Norfolk etc

Note we had absolutely no problems driving on these roads and in fact found other larger MHs already at our end destinations.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We use a truck sat nav that takes the dimensions and weight of the vehicle into account when calculating a route. All I can say about it is that it's never let me down so far. It's a Pioneer one that integrates into the radio.

I've also got a selection of road atlases that show restrictions.

I don't suppose you're going to have any legal problems unless you get stuck. I'm not sure there's a specific offence of driving through a gap that the signs say you're too wide for. You're far more likely to encounter another big vehicle coming the other way on a road that's nowhere near wide enough for you both. That's when knowing where all 4 corners of your vehicle are becomes vital.

It is quite important to know your vehicle dimensions in both systems though - here signs are imperial, on the continent they are all metric. I know a lot of people have them written down in both and taped to the sun visor or somewhere convenient. No matter what precautions you take there's always the chance that you're going to come across a restriction you weren't expecting and you really need to know if you will fit through before you make the attempt.

If you're not sure don't try it!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If it's in a red circle, it's an ORDER!

Not advisory, but statutory.

But not for farmers, evidently!:)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thank you for your response @NickNic I have never seen atlases (UK) that show restrictions who publishes them.

We have a serviceable tomtom so we're hoping not to have to buy a truck/ camper version

I've got the Phillips Truckers atlas which shows width, height and weight restrictions. There are others available, I'm pretty sure the AA publish one.

It's up to you with the sat nav but for me being able to trust that it's not going to send me somewhere daft was worth investing in a new one.

Because it's half time in the rugby I've had a search around for whether width restrictions are enforced or not and the answer seems to be yes they are if there's a plod around that's bored enough to stop you and get his tape measure out. It's a £30 fixed penalty with no points if you get unlucky.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just had a word with my buddy...Google.

Signs with red circles are mostly prohibitive. Plates below signs qualify their message.

My driving instructor told me-

A circular sign is shaped like an 'O' therefore it's an order.

A triangular sign is shaped like part of a 'W' therefore it's a warning.

A rectangular sign is shaped like an 'I' therefore it is for information.

That's how I remember it!

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but not all the international stop sign is octaganal shape .
even if in arabic . its a stop sign becvause its octaganol. Broken Link Removed
its a favourite one to get nicked at in morocco.
i have one here just to remind my neighbour to stop at the sign .
he can see it every day anmd remember his finme . hee hee .
5 of my mates got stopped and fined .

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We drive all the time in the New Forest and most often within the 6' 6" restriction zone - I am 7' 3" ish. ;) They are probably there as that road will be narrow, so to avoid and accident with on coming traffic they advise narrower vehicles. As the speed limit is 40 mph on the Forest, it is easy to pass on coming traffic quite slowly with just a wheel on the grass for the safety gap. :cautious: My sat nav tells me that my route is via a 6' 6" restriction zone so I have to accept this to continue on. As we know the roads it has never been a problem.(y) I haven't seen a Red Circle Prohibitive sign on the forest roads just the blue information signs.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We drive all the time in the New Forest and most often within the 6' 6" restriction zone - I am 7' 3" ish. ;) They are probably there as that road will be narrow, so to avoid and accident with on coming traffic they advise narrower vehicles. As the speed limit is 40 mph on the Forest, it is easy to pass on coming traffic quite slowly with just a wheel on the grass for the safety gap. :cautious: My sat nav tells me that my route is via a 6' 6" restriction zone so I have to accept this to continue on. As we know the roads it has never been a problem.(y) I haven't seen a Red Circle Prohibitive sign on the forest roads just the blue information signs.
Many roads in the lake district have 6ft6in restrictions.....but most have more than 6ft6in of tarmac never mind narrow walls or hedges etc

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Many roads in the lake district have 6ft6in restrictions.....but most have more than 6ft6in of tarmac never mind narrow walls or hedges etc
Been down some of those in the Lake District, found some roads without restrictions were narrow than the ones with remember a close shave with white van man with stone walls both sides.
All roads we have been down with 6'6" restrictions have had "except for access on the sign", quite legal then.
Did get caught in Scotland with a 3 ton weight limit we ignored came across a wooden bridge that was in such a state it didn't look like it would take 1 ton a hasty 50 point was called for.:)

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
And it helps if you stick the dimensions of the vehicle on the sun visor preferably imperial and metric, particularly the height if you plan to go to Rouen. :LOL:

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you can also come across some roads marked as above but then find bollards that appear to be 6' 7" apart

there is a narrow bridge near Lancaster, signed the same, you would barely get a PVC through

I would never go through one unless I was very confident about the road beyond

Same question I would think applies to motorway road works, you will never catch me in a lane with 6'6" limit, amazed me how many MH's I see either unaware or not bothered, I would expect a fine with all the cameras

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back